VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Should I consider an SSD or a HDD for backup? For about the same price as a 3.5" HDD I could buy a 2.5" SATA SSD with QLC or TLC. Would such an SDD be more reliable than a HDD?
    Last edited by kyrcy; 4th Dec 2023 at 21:17.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That is the big question, hdd are known to be reliable while ssd are not long enough on the market to know for sure. The server and data versions of ssd's are more reliable but that doesn't mean they still can be read after lets say 10 years.

So my suggestion would be use hdd, with one side note, that you connect that drive once in while to make sure it still powers up. hdd could not spin up if they are not used for years.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    When i purchased one of my ssd, from info i got then was that the ssd was optimal to use for the opreating system to be able to function really fast and for any normal storage situation it was best to use the normal HDD which would function real good with the SSD to transfer files to/from! from what i understood the normal hdd would function better for saved movies and programs/iso's etc and allso function very well as an second drive for storage/backup together with an SSD drive that have the Operating System installed on it!

Other then this there is no loose parts moving around in an SSD that could break as easy as they do in an normal HDD, so if you can make sure those files dont get lost in any software issues they are more reliable to use as they do not break as easy if you would for example drop it on the floor or have it in an back pack!

Edit: What i meant by loose part is acctually an SSD does not have any "moving" parts that break as easily compared to an normal HDD that have spinning disc with readers that can break easily if dropping it on the floor or use it portably and pack it in the back pack and such things!

If then concider to use an SSD as backup storage this new SSD are a bit newer and an really advanced technology, the operating system that you will use the SSD will still need to communicate with eachother, so if you have any doubts or hesitate to make an purchase you can try look into such things allso to see if there are any issues with theese things or possbly find an solution/brand/model/operating system driver/ssd software that function perfect to just plug into any type of computer with any operating system or that would help fix things if there would be any difficulties to this new advanced technology!
    Last edited by Swedaniel; 3rd Dec 2023 at 12:26.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Doesn't matter since you should have at least two backups. One offsite in case of a local catastrophe.
    Quote Quote