VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My new PC case doesn't have a 5.25" bay to install an internal Blu Ray writer.
    I have an old internal Pioneer Blu Ray writer but it is not working anymore so I am thinking of other possibilities.

1 - Buy an external Blu Ray writer and connect to PC using a USB socket. They are relatively cheap and slim and cost about $50 but I am not not sure how reliable they are.

2 - Buy an internal Blu Ray writer from a well known brands like LG or Pioneer and an external enclosure like the Vantec NexStar DX2 ($57). Looks like an elegant solution but a bit costly.

3 - Buy an external Blu Ray writer from well known brands like in option 2, and a SATA to USB Adapter for HDD and Optical drive (I have it already works for HDD but never tried it on optical drive). Need external power adapter from the mains.

Ideally I would like to have the drive connected to the PC SATA power cable and SATA Data headers preferably using a bracket on the back of the PC. I searched but didn't find anything like this yet.

My new operating system is Windows 11 so the drives must support it.

Do you have a better solution? Thanks for your feedback.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Full-height Blu-ray drives are better for heavy use. A USB. A USB 5 1/4 inch drive enclosure that plugs into mains power is probably your best option if you need a full-height Blu-ray drive.

I have an external hard drive enclosure that plugs into mains power but has an eSATA connection for data, I bought a StarTech.com 18in 1 Port SATA to eSATA Plate Adapter (ESATAPLT18IN) for it, which is still being sold. There are also relatively long (6 ft) ESATA to SATA data cables from Cable Matters available for sale: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-2-Pack-Gbps-eSATA/dp/B00V6QA4R6?th=1 However, I am not aware of any plate adapters for SATA power. You would have to figure out a way to make one using a SATA power extension cable.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Full-height Blu-ray drives are better for heavy use. A USB. A USB 5 1/4 inch drive enclosure that plugs into mains power is probably your best option if you need a full-height Blu-ray drive.

I have an external hard drive enclosure that plugs into mains power but has an eSATA connection for data, I bought a StarTech.com 18in 1 Port SATA to eSATA Plate Adapter (ESATAPLT18IN) for it, which is still being sold. There are also relatively long (6 ft) ESATA to SATA data cables from Cable Matters available for sale: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-2-Pack-Gbps-eSATA/dp/B00V6QA4R6?th=1 However, I am not aware of any plate adapters for SATA power. You would have to figure out a way to make one using a SATA power extension cable.
    Thanks for your help.
    I agree with you about using a 5.25" enclosure. Perhaps there is a cheaper enclosure to the Vantec NexStar DX2.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post

Thanks for your help.
    I agree with you about using a 5.25" enclosure. Perhaps there is a cheaper enclosure to the Vantec NexStar DX2.
    My search found much cheaper 5.25" enclosures on Alibaba but if you have to pay for shipping from China that could add significantly to the cost.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just a quick Q.

What PC case does NOT come with a bay to fit an internal BD or DVD drive ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM

Thanks for your help.
    My search found much cheaper 5.25" enclosures on Alibaba but if you have to pay for shipping from China that could add significantly to the cost.
    Do you have a link to the model please?
    I buy few parts from AliExpress (related to Alibaba) and the shipment cost is not an issue.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Just a quick Q.

My new PC case is Fractal Design Define 7 Compact and it doesn't have a DVD drive bay. I could have used my current Fractal Design Define 4 which does have a DVD bay, but I wanted a smaller size case this time.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just a quick Q.

I have been shopping for a PC case recently. Many cases, especially those for PC gamers and those with a glass side panel do not have any optical drive bays. Some don't even support more than one or two 3.5" HDDs..
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just a quick Q.

I have been shopping for a PC case recently. Many cases, especially those for PC gamers and those with a glass side panel do not have any optical drive bays. Some don't even support more than one or two 3.5" HDDs..
    If you still need a PC case with 5.25" bay, check Fractal Design Define 7. It has one bay and supports many 3.5" for HDD. The depth (L) is larger by about 20cm from the Define 7 Compact.
    Case dimensions (LxWxH) 546.8 x 240 x 474.2 mm
    Case dimensions (LxWxH) 427 x 210 x 474 mm
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM

Thanks for your help.
    Do you have a link to the model please?
    I buy few parts from AliExpress (related to Alibaba) and the shipment cost is not an issue.
    Here's a link from AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805655671985.html It doesn't look as nice as the one from Vantec but maybe it is good enough.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just a quick Q.

If you still need a PC case with 5.25" bay, check Fractal Design Define 7. It has one bay and supports many 3.5" for HDD. The depth (L) is larger by about 20cm from the Define 7 Compact.
    Case dimensions (LxWxH) 546.8 x 240 x 474.2 mm
    Case dimensions (LxWxH) 427 x 210 x 474 mm
    Thanks. I think I already looked at that one but I'll look again. I have found a few that might work but I need to figure out cable management and power supplies before I buy. I'm thinking about building a PC to donate to charity using parts removed from a PC i'm upgrading.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a link from AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805655671985.html It doesn't look as nice as the one from Vantec but maybe it is good enough.
    I hope you haven't ordered one from AliExpress yet. The listing on AliExpress said "USB 3.0/USB 2.0" but I found the same item on Amazon and the listing there said USB 2.0. I think USB 3.0 is required for Blu-ray.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hope you haven't ordered one from AliExpress yet. The listing on AliExpress said "USB 3.0/USB 2.0" but I found the same item on Amazon and the listing there said USB 2.0. I think USB 3.0 is required for Blu-ray.
    I saw that and it mentions Windows 98 so it is not my list

The Vantec looks like a good option. The new version DX2 is probably an improvement on the older DX version.
    I will order the drive first and then look at the enclosures again.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found this SATA extension cable it is 50cm long but also available in 1m and 2m. The idea is to connect one end to the SATA power cable and a SATA DATA header inside the PC and get the other end out of the PC by removing an expansion slot bracket. Then connect an Internal SATA drive to the other end. This way I will not need an external power adapter to connect to the mains.
    1m is available on Amazon.
    https://cablesondemand.com/amphenol-cs-satdrivex2-000-5-serial-ata-extension-cable-sat...tdrivex2-000-5
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found this SATA extension cable it is 50cm long but also available in 1m and 2m. The idea is to connect one end to the SATA power cable and a SATA DATA header inside the PC and get the other end out of the PC by removing an expansion slot bracket. Then connect an Internal SATA drive to the other end. This way I will not need an external power adapter to connect to the mains.
    https://cablesondemand.com/amphenol-cs-satdrivex2-000-5-serial-ata-extension-cable-sat...tdrivex2-000-5
    That looks like a good solution to use outside the PC case. Inside the PC case, you will also need a regular SATA data cable (F+F) and probably a SATA power extension cable (M+F).

The reason I say that is (A) the SATA power cable(s) from the PSU and the SATA data headers on the motherboard are too far apart to connect that cable directly and (B) the motherboard's SATA data headers are normally close together.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just a final thought.

It's all well and good to choose a 'narrow' case. Yet one should also be aware of one's own media (or subsequent media). And such a case puts my own Cooler Master case( hardly the tallest available) into the over-available bracket - 5 x 5.25 + 4 (maybe 5) x 3.5 in bays and not a screw holding in plain sight.

In fact even this will fail since the available mb ports and the ps ports do not give such potential.

By all means buy a gaming/narrow case for gaming. But if you require (or potentally require) more then better to provide now AND the ps than make an expensive mistake.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That looks like a good solution to use outside the PC case. Inside the PC case, you will also need a regular SATA data cable (F+F) and probably a SATA power extension cable (M+F).

The reason I say that is (A) the SATA power cable(s) from the PSU and the SATA data headers on the motherboard are too far apart to connect that cable directly and (B) the motherboard's SATA data headers are normally close together.
    Thanks for your feedback.
    I don't think I will have a problem because the SATA power cable has a free header very near the SATA headers on the motherboard. Anyway if I run into a problem I have all the cables that you mentioned.
    Regarding the cable length, I think 1m will be optimal. 50cm is too short and 2m is too long. I wish they have 75cm but this is not standard.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a good deal on LG Electronics WH16NS40 16X Blu-Ray and the Amphenol cable with free shipment and no VAT taxes.
    Is this a good drive and does it support Windows 11?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E7B08MS/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=A2XZ7JICGUQ1CX&th=1

Edit: According to the LG official website, this drive supports Windows 8. Hopefully someone can confirm it can work on Windows 11
    Last edited by Subtitles; 3rd Dec 2023 at 10:42.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a good deal on LG Electronics WH16NS40 16X Blu-Ray and the Amphenol cable with free shipment and no VAT taxes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E7B08MS/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=A2XZ7JICGUQ1CX&th=1

Edit: According to the LG official website, this drive supports Windows 8. Hopefully someone can confirm it can work on Windows 11
    It should be fine. I have an LG WH14NS40 drive that I originally installed in a PC running Windows 8. It is still working in a PC with a newer motherboard and processor running Windows 11.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM

It should be fine. I have an LG WH14NS40 drive that I originally installed in a PC running Windows 8. It is still working in a PC with a newer motherboard and processor running Windows 11.
    Thanks for the feedback. It is tempting to order it.
    My other candidate is Pioneer BDR-212DBK which specifies Windows 11 support, but it will cost me $60 more for the two items.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just a final thought.

It's all well and good to choose a 'narrow' case. Yet one should also be aware of one's own media (or subsequent media). And such a case puts my own Cooler Master case( hardly the tallest available) into the over-available bracket - 5 x 5.25 + 4 (maybe 5) x 3.5 in bays and not a screw holding in plain sight.

In fact even this will fail since the available mb ports and the ps ports do not give such potential.

By all means buy a gaming/narrow case for gaming. But if you require (or potentally require) more then better to provide now AND the ps than make an expensive mistake.
    I understand. I bought a Lian-Li PC-A41B Micro ATX Case on sale in 2016 for my general-purpose PC. It can hold 2 x 5.25-inch drives and 5 x 3.5-inch drives. Cable management was difficult because there wasn't much room between the motherboard tray and the right side panel, plus nowhere to tie down cables. Despite that, although am willing to donate some of the things installed inside this case, I'm keeping the case itself because I'll never again find anything as nice as this little case with room for as many drives,
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM

Thanks for the feedback. It is tempting to order it.
    My other candidate is Pioneer BDR-212DBK which specifies Windows 11 support, but it will cost me $60 more for the two items.
    Pioneer drives in general have a better reputation than LG drives. I have an earlier model Pioneer Blu-ray drive although I am not using it anymore. I was going to install it in my HTPC but Pioneer drives are longer than the standard 5.25-inch optical drive and it would not fit in the space allotted for it. An LG drive did fit.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I took the plunge and ordered the bundle. It can take about 5 weeks to arrive because of the situation in my area.
    If the drive doesn't work on Windows 11, I can return it to Amazon.
    I think I will use a short bracket on the expansion slot. there should be enough clearance for the Amphenol cable to pass through without leaving a large gap on the slot.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I took the plunge and ordered the bundle. It can take about 5 weeks to arrive because of the situation in my area.
    If the drive doesn't work on Windows 11, I can return it to Amazon.
    I think I will use a short bracket on the expansion slot. there should be enough clearance for the Amphenol cable to pass through without leaving a large gap on the slot.
    At last I received the Blu-Ray Drive and the Amphenol cable.
    Installed the cable inside the computer and used a bracket with a hole in it that was dismantled from an old printer card so as to close part of the hole if I take off the bracket entirely.
    Needed an additional SATA Data cable to connect to a SATA header on the motherboard and the other end to the Amphenol cable.
    Looks quite neat without the need for AC adapter to power the drive.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5930S.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	75905  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5937S.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	75906  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5941S.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	75907  

Last edited by Subtitles; 2nd Jan 2024 at 09:04. Reason: Attached another image
    Quote Quote  
  25. Did it work?
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    Did it work?
    Yes
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll keep this solution in mind if I ever buy a new case with no 5.25-inch drive bays. The only downside is that it makes hiding cables from view a little more difficult if it's a windowed case.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would go to the Makemkv forum and buy one of the models recommended so that you will have the ability to backup 4k UHD discs.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll keep this solution in mind if I ever buy a new case with no 5.25-inch drive bays. The only downside is that it makes hiding cables from view a little more difficult if it's a windowed case.
    This solution saved me $60 by not buying the Vantec NexStar DX2 enclosure and I would still have the USB cable and the external power adapter wires hanging about. Having the drive out in the open has better cooling than inside a computer or a Vantec enclosure. It can get hot when it is working. In the Summer I can cool it with a small USB fan.
    It is also very convenient to connect a SATA internal HDD. Just disconnect the two cables from the drive and connect them to the HDD.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fooledagain View Post
    I would go to the Makemkv forum and buy one of the models recommended so that you will have the ability to backup 4k UHD discs.
    The LG WH16NS40 is in fact on MakeMKV's recommended list, although it will need to be flashed with new firmware like most BDXL drives.
    Quote Quote