+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I'll keep this solution in mind if I ever buy a new case with no 5.25-inch drive bays. The only downside is that it makes hiding cables from view a little more difficult if it's a windowed case.
    ...I would still have the USB cable and the external power adapter wires hanging about.
    I was talking about the difficulty of hiding the adapter cables inside the PC case from view when using a power and data extender cable to connect a Blu-ray drive outside the case. I didn't give the extender cables outside the case any thought but, yes, they certainly would be hanging out, even if the drive is disconnected from them. I don't think I would want to go to the trouble of opening the case to hide them inside or disconnect them.

On the other hand, a Blu-ray drive in an external USB enclosure, its USB cable, and its wall adapter can easily be disconnected and stored when the drive is not needed for a long time. Plus, a USB enclosure probably has an off switch if someone wants to save a tiny amount on their electric bill when the drive won't be used in the short term. (I have experience using USB HDD enclosures, although all but one of mine have built-in fans.)
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    I'll keep this solution in mind if I ever buy a new case with no 5.25-inch drive bays. The only downside is that it makes hiding cables from view a little more difficult if it's a windowed case.
    ...I would still have the USB cable and the external power adapter wires hanging about.
    I was talking about the difficulty of hiding the adapter cables inside the PC case from view when using a power and data extender cable to connect a Blu-ray drive outside the case. I didn't give the extender cables outside the case any thought but, yes, they certainly would be hanging out, even if the drive is disconnected from them. I don't think I would want to go to the trouble of opening the case to hide them inside or disconnect them.

On the other hand, a Blu-ray drive in an external USB enclosure, its USB cable, and its wall adapter can easily be disconnected and stored when the drive is not needed for a long time. Plus, a USB enclosure probably has an off switch if someone wants to save a tiny amount on their electric bill when the drive won't be used in the short term. (I have experience using USB HDD enclosures, although all but one of mine have built-in fans.)
    Sorry, I see what you mean. My case has a dark tint windowed case and it is hard to see what is inside. The front cover window slides out very easily if I really want to hide the cables while moving the PC to another place, but this is very rare.

I wanted to save money in these difficult times and the enclosure is not a bad solution but it is not cheap. If I find a similar USB enclosure with a price tag of up to $30 I will buy it.
    Quote Quote