VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have a H.264 MKV video that I want to deinterlace while changing nothing else. How do I do that using Shutter Encoder and ffmpeg? Also, what is the best deinterlacer to use from both programs and how do I used them convert the frame rate of videos?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Why do you want to do any of this work? Deinterlacing will not make the video better (it actually degrades it slightly). Most TV sets will deinterlace for you.

AVISynth using the QTGMC AVSI script is usually said to be about the best deinterlacer you can get. There is, of course, no such thing as "best" in all circumstances.

As for frame rate conversion, why the heck do you want to do that? Once again, it won't make the video look any better, although it is true that you can make 24 fps film look like 60 fps progressive video, if you don't mind the artifacts that you will inevitably create when doing that work. If you don't want to spend any money, you can use MVTools2, SVPFlow, or several other AVISynth plugins to do frame rate conversion.

If you do frame rate conversion, you will have spent a lot of time, but I don't think the video will look any better.

However, as the French say, "À chacun son goût."
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for sharing your insights on deinterlacing and frame rate conversion. It's essential to consider the implications of such processes and whether they truly enhance the video quality.
    For those navigating financial challenges, exploring options like debt consolidation loans can offer a path towards managing debts more effectively. Consolidating debts into a single loan can simplify payments and potentially save money on interest rates.
    If you're interested in learning more about debt consolidation loans and finding the best options available, you can check out this https://fitmymoney.com/best-debt-consolidation-loans/ resource.
    Ultimately, it's about making informed decisions that align with your goals and priorities, whether it's regarding video processing or financial management. Thank you for contributing to the discussion!
    Last edited by vincentevans; 30th Jan 2024 at 09:08.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Why do you want to do any of this work? Deinterlacing will not make the video better (it actually degrades it slightly). Most TV sets will deinterlace for you.

AVISynth using the QTGMC AVSI script is usually said to be about the best deinterlacer you can get. There is, of course, no such thing as "best" in all circumstances.
    Theoretically you are right, but practically QTGMC will perform better deinterlace than TV.

If you do frame rate conversion, you will have spent a lot of time, but I don't think the video will look any better.

However, as the French say, "À chacun son goût."
    Theoretically you are right, but practically RIFE (or Topaz) will perform quite good conversion, e.g. from 30 to 60fps and the video will be significantly smoother. Better than many "enhancers" built into some TVs.
    Quote Quote