VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi -- I'm considering either a Hauppauge USB-Live 2 or an I/OData GV-USB2. (This will be S-VHS and VHS capture in Win10).

This video shows at 4:41 that the GV-USB2 seems to crop a little off, apparently losing a few lines at the top and bottom (the sides look fine).

Has anyone else noticed this? My understanding is that it is basically equivalent in features and quality to the GV-USB2, yeah? I'm a little obsessive about capturing all the lines :-) so it'd be nice to know that I wasn't accidentally clipping anything off.

Thanks for any input!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Subtle differences are possible between different capture devices and their drivers on how they define the active (or clean) window. There are also differences how they position (centre) the active picture in the 720 wide frame. Differences may even exist for the same device using different driver versions.

Also, keep in mind that analog video includes 1/2 scanlines on top and bottom. PAL for examle has vertically 1/2+574+1/2 scanlines.
    How to present the 1/2 scanlines after capturing? Show these (half black, half picture) or just mask them?

I would however not base a buying decision on this. There are much more important quality criteria IMO.
    Last edited by Sharc; 25th Nov 2023 at 04:35.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by chconnor View Post
    Hi -- I'm considering either a Hauppauge USB-Live 2 or an I/OData GV-USB2. (This will be S-VHS and VHS capture in Win10).
    I don't understand why people flock to those mediocre cards. Yes, most cards are worse, but it's still not like these are 1st and 2nd place for quality or ease of use.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I don't understand why people flock to those mediocre cards. Yes, most cards are worse, but it's still not like these are 1st and 2nd place for quality or ease of use.
    They are between the best cards, whatever you may say. Period.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This video shows at 4:41 that the GV-USB2 seems to crop a little off, apparently losing a few lines at the top and bottom (the sides look fine).
    USB-Live 2 and GV-USB2 are equivalent if term of lines captured inside the frame: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/406066-What-is-best-capture-device/page3#post2660565

In general, in my experience few lines at the top do not contain real data, and at the bottom there are always 4 to 10 lines corrupted by head switching noise. So really not an issue.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks all -- I tried to read as many threads as I could to avoid posting another "which capture card should I get" thread and it seemed like it came down to these, in terms of this budget range. Thanks lollo for that thread link -- very helpful.

I've also read through the various different opinions on these cards -- lordsmurf I see you have a Pinnacle USB NTSC card for sale -- are there any threads or links anyone has for more information on those, especially in comparison to the USB-Live 2 and GV_USB2? Searching "Pinnacle USB capture card NTSC" seems to imply that there are a thousand versions of it, so I feel like my research may not lead anywhere useful.

My plan is to get a nice S-VHS deck with TBC (thanks lordsmurf for the "which VCR to get" roundup!) and go S-video into the card, probably capturing audio through my audio interface, on Win10.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    especially in comparison to the USB-Live 2 and GV_USB2?.
    Not yet, but I have about a dozen cards here for some comps, trying to carve out time for it in mid/late Dec, but have to finish my current tasks (and hope health remains stable for everybody here, no more sidetracks).

Searching "Pinnacle USB capture card NTSC" seems to imply that there are a thousand versions of it,
    Yep. With the Pinnacles (and various Hauppauges), even the same "model" isn't even the same model, reused model numbers for long production cycle card. A few others do that, but those are the main bad actors.

My plan is to get a nice S-VHS deck with TBC (thanks lordsmurf for the "which VCR to get" roundup!)
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    are there any threads or links anyone has for more information on those, especially in comparison to the USB-Live 2 and GV_USB2?
    Comparison between USB-Live 2 and Pinnacle 710 USB:
    https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/7682-usb-capture-devices.html

Comparison between USB-Live 2 and Pinnacle 710 USB through a Dazzle intermediate capture:
    https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/12138-dazzle-vs-pinnacle.html
    https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/12090-ntsc-capture-card.html

If you search the forums you'll find some threads with testing of many cards made by users Brad and Bogilein (Diamond VC500 for instance uses the same video chip of the USB-Live 2).

To summarize:

USB-Live2 is in pair with the 710, at least.
    If you don't have a Y/C TBC corrected signal, GV-USB2 is better than USB-Live 2, otherwise close performances, with very slight advantage to USB-Live 2.
    USB-Live 2 has no hardware revision.
    USB-Live 2 and GV-USB2 work flawless with Windows 10 and AmarecTV

If you decide to go for the Pinnacle, better to buy it from lordsmurf, he can provide a tested card and not suffering of bad hardware revision.

There is no direct comparison between GV-USB2 and 710 USB, but user Alwin still has both and can comment further (IIRC they are in pair for him)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Much obliged everyone! -- I think I have what I need to make a decision.

As always, this is the most helpful forum on the internet.

Good health to you, lordsmurf!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My USB710, which I got from Lordsmurf, does not work with Win 11 in analogue capture mode. It's fine for DV over USB transfers. I did have some difficulty getting it working on Win 10. IIRC, you also need "Crossbar Thing" to set the correct input (S Video or Comp).

Performance-wise, there’s no difference between it and the GV.

As I have written often, the GV-USB "just works" ie no hassles with Win 10 and 11 and the quality is the same as the 710, better tthan the Live 2 with unstabilised sources and as good as the Startech USB3HDCAP.

It is a pity that Lordsmurf continues to belittle the GV-USB2 considering he hasn't used one.
    Last edited by Alwyn; 25th Nov 2023 at 18:31.
    Quote Quote