VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Premiere CS6 just hangs. DaVinci Resolve 18.6 ingests it, but it's audio-only, the video is replaced by the "Media Offline" graphic. Installed the HEVC codec but the Microsoft Store won't open so I had to go via adguard, who knows if that worked properly.

Tried Shutter Encoder to drag it back to SDR x264 but a) an HDR-to-SDR conversion makes it look awful and b) it gets all the way through the hours-long process and then drops an error (the text of which I can't remember, and I'm unable to find a log or history or anything).

Help?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
    Premiere CS6 just hangs. DaVinci Resolve 18.6 ingests it, but it's audio-only, the video is replaced by the "Media Offline" graphic. Installed the HEVC codec but the Microsoft Store won't open so I had to go via adguard, who knows if that worked properly.

Tried Shutter Encoder to drag it back to SDR x264 but a) an HDR-to-SDR conversion makes it look awful and b) it gets all the way through the hours-long process and then drops an error (the text of which I can't remember, and I'm unable to find a log or history or anything).

Help?
    Is the Footage still on the iPhone 12? If yes, arent those phones sort of locked and protected and need to be acessed from Apple's program 'iTunes' and allso from here you must login to the same account as the one that is on the iPhone, to then import photos, music, videos etc from itunes and into the computer? Once unlocked with the free itunes program you can then allso access the iphone storage as an local drive! Some programs provide the option to handle the unlocked iphone and process the local disk directly so the images and music get their real names and all of this while browsing the iphone as an local drive/disk.. ellse you might notice in this local drive the folder names for music, photos and videos does not really appear as they do in itunes or as they have been created!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The issue is probably one or more of: HEVC ("High Efficiency" format) or the MOV extension throwing off your file opening.

You could try "converting" the video from MOV to MP4 using AVIDemux or Clever FFMPEG GUI (@Prowo?). With AVIDemux at least, a Copy Copy > MP4 process will result in non-recoded MP4 file. The variable frame rate will be retained.

Another option, suggested on the Magix forum, is to install Apple Quicktime; while Apple no longer supports Quicktime and it is therefore deemed a security risk, you are only installing it to gain access to the Apple codecs; you won't use it to create or play video content.

Do a trial, changing your camera settings. Try changing the video format to "Most Compatibility". That will record with the H264 codec.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It's not my phone, not my footage. Got it given to me on a hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Arr, OK, that would have been good info first-off. Anyway, proceed as I suggested. Initially, try converting from MOV to MP4 without recoding. Have a look at my MOV>MP4 with AVIDemux guide here. Basically, it's just as I mentioned before: "Copy", Copy" and output MP4.

If that doesn't work, you'll probably be forced into recoding the files to constant frame rate.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Could I just rewrap it with ffmpeg, then? It shows up as Dolby Vision in MediaInfo, I was figuring I'd have to kill that somehow given I don't have any DV-compatible gear...I've never even done an HDR workflow before outside user Shutter Encoder to create SDR x264 versions of movies I've bought on 4K. There's certainly no need to retain HDR for this project.

VidCoder seems to be doing a re-encode that'll work, but it's going to take a couple of days to process an hour or so of footage, which isn't ideal. It also happily chews up 100% of my CPU, rendering my PC useless unless I screw with the affinity of the process, but it kicks up a new process every time it moves to the next video in the queue...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In the vidcoder settings you can reduce the core usage to certain number of cores...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could I just rewrap it with ffmpeg, then?
    I'm sure you can; that's above my paygrade though. That is what AVIDemux is doing; simply rewrapping it in MP4, not re-rendering it.

If 1 hour of footage is taking 2 days, it's not smart-rendering; it's doing a full re-render.
    Quote Quote