VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    How do I extract the best frame (or frames) by scene in a single episode or movie? What is the best auto-extractor for it?
    Quote Quote  
  2. What is the criteria that identifies 'best frame (or frames)' ?
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    selectevery(48) or selectevery(72). Use imagewriter() to drop the frames to a folder. Use your eyes to determine which are "best". Profit.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SaurusX View Post
    selectevery(48) or selectevery(72). Use imagewriter() to drop the frames to a folder. Use your eyes to determine which are "best". Profit.
    What's selectevery(48), selectevery(72), and imagewriter()?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Jay123210599 View Post
    They're all AVISynth commands. What you're asking to do is going to need a versatile video manipulation program.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    What is the criteria that identifies 'best frame (or frames)' ?
    The best frames that are diverse and representative of the video.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SaurusX View Post
    They're all AVISynth commands. What you're asking to do is going to need a versatile video manipulation program.
    How do I use them with AVISynth? Do I need VirtualDub2 as well?
    Quote Quote  
  8. What is best for downloading videos, which one is most compatible with sites like any site I enter will download the video between these options video downloader or download manager?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Raffbro View Post
    What is best for downloading videos, which one is most compatible with sites like any site I enter will download the video between these options video downloader or download manager?

Maybe this one WonTube Video Converter v.1.0.0 is good, it have an function "Paste URL" that dont seem to be locked to any specific video sites such as YouTube! I havent tested to download any movies, it could maybe be really bad program for this allso.
    Quote Quote  
  10. My question is which of these mechanisms is the most compatible with websites, whether it is a video downloader or download manager
    Quote Quote  
  11. You can use ffmpeg for this - with for example scene detection and preventing to select frames too close each other - also you can focus only on keyframes so at least in theory they will be also highest quality frames.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It seems to me this question has yet to be answered, and it's the most important one.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    You can use ffmpeg for this - with for example scene detection and preventing to select frames too close each other - also you can focus only on keyframes so at least in theory they will be also highest quality frames.
    How would I use ffmpeg for "scene detection and preventing to select frames too close each other"?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    It seems to me this question has yet to be answered, and it's the most important one.
    I told you, it's the best frames that are diverse and representative of the video.
    Quote Quote  
  15. The problem is that "diverse and representative of the video" is too vague to be useful, it seems like something that would need to understand the actual content, not just the representation in frames.
    Extracting the frames of the video and then manually selecting the ones that are "diverse and representative of the video" is probably the only way.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    I told you, it's the best frames that are diverse and representative of the video.
    Now you're going to have to explain how you determine that. Hopefully you'll see the futility and ridiculousness of this by the time I lose interest and stop looking at this. Which just happened.
    Last edited by Hoser Rob; 13th Nov 2023 at 11:19. Reason: typos as usual
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Jay123210599 View Post
    You can use ffmpeg for this - with for example scene detection and preventing to select frames too close each other - also you can focus only on keyframes so at least in theory they will be also highest quality frames.
    How would I use ffmpeg for "scene detection and preventing to select frames too close each other"?
    For constant interval of the 5 sec (you can modify it freely - depends on your needs)
    Code:
    @setlocal

@set time=5

@set filename=%1

@ffmpeg.exe -y -hide_banner -v 32 -stats -skip_frame nokey -i "%filename%" -an -sn -dn -vf "select='isnan(prev_selected_t)+gte(t-prev_selected_t\,%tim%)',zscale=f=spline36:r=full:w=320:h=-2,setpts=PTS/24" -vsync 0 -q:v 4 "%~n1_t%tim%.apng"

@endlocal

This code is for scene detection - as above - you can modify threshold for scene detection sensitivity:

Code:
    @setlocal
    @set sens=0.25

@set filename=%1

@ffmpeg.exe -y -hide_banner -v 32 -stats -skip_frame nokey -i "%filename%" -an -sn -dn -vf "zscale=f=spline36:r=full:w=320:h=-2,select='gt(scene\,%sens%)',setpts=PTS/24" -vsync 0 -q:v 4 "%~n1_scene.apng"

@endlocal
    This code combine both i.e. constant time interval and additionally frames selected by time interval are further selected by scene detection filter.

Code:
    @setlocal

@set time=5
    @set sens=0.25

@set filename=%1

@ffmpeg.exe -y -hide_banner -v 32 -stats -skip_frame nokey -i "%filename%" -an -sn -dn -vf "select='isnan(prev_selected_t)+gte(t-prev_selected_t\,%time%)',zscale=f=spline36:r=full:w=320:h=-2,select='gt(scene\,%sens%)',setpts=PTS/24" -vsync 0 -q:v 4 "%~n1_t%time%_sens.apng"

@endlocal
    In all cases video frames are resized to 320 pixels with and framerate is set to 24 fps - target is lossless APNG - you can change this as you wish
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Raffbro View Post
    My question is which of these mechanisms is the most compatible with websites, whether it is a video downloader or download manager
    This question has not yet been answered
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    For constant interval of the 5 sec (you can modify it freely - depends on your needs)
    Code:
    @setlocal

@set time=5

@set filename=%1

@ffmpeg.exe -y -hide_banner -v 32 -stats -skip_frame nokey -i "%filename%" -an -sn -dn -vf "select='isnan(prev_selected_t)+gte(t-prev_selected_t\,%tim%)',zscale=f=spline36:r=full:w=320:h=-2,setpts=PTS/24" -vsync 0 -q:v 4 "%~n1_t%tim%.apng"

@endlocal

This code is for scene detection - as above - you can modify threshold for scene detection sensitivity:

Code:
    @setlocal
    @set sens=0.25

@set filename=%1

@ffmpeg.exe -y -hide_banner -v 32 -stats -skip_frame nokey -i "%filename%" -an -sn -dn -vf "zscale=f=spline36:r=full:w=320:h=-2,select='gt(scene\,%sens%)',setpts=PTS/24" -vsync 0 -q:v 4 "%~n1_scene.apng"

@endlocal
    This code combine both i.e. constant time interval and additionally frames selected by time interval are further selected by scene detection filter.

Code:
    @setlocal

@set time=5
    @set sens=0.25

@set filename=%1

@ffmpeg.exe -y -hide_banner -v 32 -stats -skip_frame nokey -i "%filename%" -an -sn -dn -vf "select='isnan(prev_selected_t)+gte(t-prev_selected_t\,%time%)',zscale=f=spline36:r=full:w=320:h=-2,select='gt(scene\,%sens%)',setpts=PTS/24" -vsync 0 -q:v 4 "%~n1_t%time%_sens.apng"

@endlocal
    In all cases video frames are resized to 320 pixels with and framerate is set to 24 fps - target is lossless APNG - you can change this as you wish
    The scene detection code didn't work.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by Jay123210599 View Post
    The scene detection code didn't work.
    It works OK, it may not work as you expect but scene detection means that change in APL (average picture luminance level) trig frame selection - this is not content based detection - for this you need different approach with for example machine learning algorithms.

Perhaps this will help to get what is scene detection in ffmpeg https://blog.gdeltproject.org/using-ffmpegs-scene-detection-to-generate-a-visual-shot-...levision-news/
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    The identification of the "best frame" or "best frames" can vary depending on the context. Here are several criteria that are commonly considered when evaluating or choosing the best frame:

Aesthetic Appeal:

Visual Harmony: The frame should complement and enhance the subject or content it contains, contributing to an overall aesthetically pleasing composition.
    Style and Design: Consider the frame's design, material, and style in relation to the content it surrounds.
    Quality and Durability:

Materials: Evaluate the quality of materials used in the frame's construction. High-quality materials often contribute to a longer-lasting and more durable frame.
    Craftsmanship: Assess the level of craftsmanship in the frame's construction, looking for well-made joints, corners, and finishes.
    Size and Proportion:

Appropriateness: The size of the frame should be appropriate for the size of the artwork or content. It should not overwhelm or understate the subject.
    Proportion: Consider the proportions of the frame in relation to the content and the space where it will be displayed.
    Context and Environment:

Setting: Frames should be chosen based on the environment in which they will be placed. A frame that suits a formal setting might not be suitable for a more casual or contemporary space.
    Lighting Conditions: Consider how the frame interacts with different lighting conditions in the display area.
    Conservation and Protection:

Preservation: Frames should be selected to protect the artwork or content from environmental factors such as UV light, dust, and humidity.
    Conservation Materials: Opt for frames made with materials that are conservation-grade to ensure the long-term preservation of the content.
    Budget and Value:

Cost: Evaluate the cost of the frame in relation to your budget. Consider the long-term value and durability rather than just the initial expense.
    Return on Investment: In some cases, a higher-quality frame may enhance the perceived value of the content it holds.
    Personal Preference:

Subjective Appeal: Personal taste plays a significant role. The "best" frame is ultimately the one that resonates with the individual's personal preferences and style.
    Cultural or Historical Relevance:

Contextual Significance: In some cases, the best frame might be one that holds cultural or historical significance, complementing the content's context.
    When choosing a frame, it's often a combination of these criteria that leads to the selection of the best frame for a particular piece or context. It's essential to consider the specific requirements of the artwork or content and the preferences of the individual making the choice.
    Quote Quote  
  22. All those large language model chat's will be soon curse for humanity...
    Quote Quote  
  23. As soon as there is ai involved, there will be a model bias, later censorship, indoctrination, regulation for a correct person thumbnail proportional exposure, just wait for it .

Snaps within some interval, stack those thumbnails together and our brain will generate a story from that "storyboard" whatever there is.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    As soon as there is ai involved, there will be a model bias, later censorship, indoctrination, regulation for a correct person thumbnail proportional exposure, just wait for it .

Snaps within some interval, stack those thumbnails together and our brain will generate a story from that "storyboard" whatever there is.
    Oh, i've already had impression that this happening today, all those chat models are biased (also racially), censored, indoctrinating (up to point where people do suicide)...
    Quote Quote