VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I am looking for a codec for capturing video in windows. Something better than xvid or x264vfw with a GUI that can be configured from a capture software. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by kyrcy; 6th Nov 2023 at 11:12.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kyrcy View Post
    I am looking for a codec for capturing video in windows. Something better than xvid or x264vfw with a GUI that can be configured from a capture software. Any suggestions?
    Capturing what? Are you using OBS to capture something from the screen, or are you talking about analog capture
    eg. from a VCR ?
    Probably something like UT codec would work, high speed capture codec
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Capturing what? Are you using OBS to capture something from the screen, or are you talking about analog capture
    eg. from a VCR ?
    Probably something like UT codec would work, high speed capture codec
    Video streaming from the screen. What is OBS?
    Last edited by kyrcy; 6th Nov 2023 at 11:52.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    UT Video Codec
    I read the readme, but which family/codec should I choose for best video quality?
    Last edited by kyrcy; 6th Nov 2023 at 13:22.
    Quote Quote  
  5. For VHS tape (or Video8, Hi8) capturing use YUV422 BT.601
    FOURCC: ULY2
    Last edited by Sharc; 6th Nov 2023 at 14:00.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    For VHS tape (or Video8, Hi8) capturing use YUV422 BT.601
    What to use for best video quality with reasonable file size when capturing video streaming?
    Last edited by kyrcy; 7th Nov 2023 at 07:39.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As for codecs...
    VP9 or HEVC.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Kakujitsu View Post
    As for codecs...
    VP9 or HEVC.
    I am looking for something simple to use like xvid or x264vfw. Do these have a GUI? Where to download from?
    Last edited by kyrcy; 8th Nov 2023 at 08:33.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by kyrcy View Post
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    For VHS tape (or Video8, Hi8) capturing use YUV422 BT.601
    What to use for best video quality with reasonable file size when capturing video streaming?
    Same for SD, or for HD use
    YUV422 BT.709
    FOURCC: ULH2
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Try TechSmith Screen Capture Codec v.3.1, it is an compression codec which works great to use later to convert into any video format. When using for example MJPEG Compressor codec, an video file is 300-400MB with just 30-60 seconds recording and using TechSmith Screen Capture Codec v.3.1 with setting 'Better Compression' the video files can be sometime 10-20MB and after converting them theyre sometimes below 1MB with great quality.

This codec can be installed onto the computer and used by any screen recorder that have support for collecting installed codecs and use them.. Most dont! Try VSDC Free Screen Recorder v.1.3.2.531 or AutoScreenRecorder v.3.1.125. By installing for example Xvid MPEG-4 Codec onto your computer it can allso then be used with AutoScreenRecorder v.3.1.125... Both of them are Free and does not leave any watermarks!

Edit: If you would want to use MJPEG Compressor Codec it will give real smooth videos but many video converters fail to convert it and give bad image, allso to have huge source file will become an menace to store for an long time. TechSmith Screen Capture Codec v.3.1 is a lil bit better if you want to store the original source file and it allso have high successfull conversion rates with most video converters.
    Last edited by Swedaniel; 9th Nov 2023 at 09:24.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Swedaniel View Post
    Try TechSmith Screen Capture Codec v.3.1, it is an compression codec which works great to use later to convert into any video format. When using for example MJPEG Compressor codec, an video file is 300-400MB with just 30-60 seconds recording and using TechSmith Screen Capture Codec v.3.1 with setting 'Better Compression' the video files can be sometime 10-20MB and after converting them theyre sometimes below 1MB with great quality.

This codec can be installed onto the computer and used by any screen recorder that have support for collecting installed codecs and use them.. Most dont! Try VSDC Free Screen Recorder v.1.3.2.531 or AutoScreenRecorder v.3.1.125. By installing for example Xvid MPEG-4 Codec onto your computer it can allso then be used with AutoScreenRecorder v.3.1.125... Both of them are Free and does not leave any watermarks!

Edit: If you would want to use MJPEG Compressor Codec it will give real smooth videos but many video converters fail to convert it and give bad image, allso to have huge source file will become an menace to store for an long time. TechSmith Screen Capture Codec v.3.1 is a lil bit better if you want to store the original source file and it allso have high successfull conversion rates with most video converters.
    I can't find an official website for either TechSmith Screen Capture Codec v.3.1 or AutoScreenRecorder v.3.1.125. Where to download these from?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Swedaniel View Post

I can't find an official website for either TechSmith Screen Capture Codec v.3.1 or AutoScreenRecorder v.3.1.125. Where to download these from?

At the bottom of this site there is an "Affiliates: free-codecs.com". I think if you search for TechSmith Screen Capture Codec on that site it will list the version 8.2, if you click download it will allso list the 2.0, 3.0 and 3.1 version... Ill check for an download location for AutoScreenRecorder but i must go read the forum rules first, im not sure if it is ok to post alternate download links

Edit: The Codec is allso included with an Screen Recorder software, i dont remember which one. (After checking the date stamps on some installation files im pretty sure this codec come along with the AutoScreenRecorder v.3.1.125, and this codec, if installed, will allso come avalible from within VSDC Free Screen Recorder v.1.3.2.531)

The AutoScreenRecorder v.3.1.125 have theese file hashes, i think sometimes it is possible to search for the hashes to easier find an file (3,7MB EXE Installation File).

MD5
    05b6b41332070354aab54b821762d732
    SHA-1
    49d1245a8a2447c87843b4228d9bdc343ec97933
    SHA-256
    5dfdaedddeb6ae73cc47c8e9ebe02dbf
    Last edited by Swedaniel; 10th Nov 2023 at 08:07.
    Quote Quote  
  13. For capturing video on Windows with more flexibility than Xvid or x264vfw, consider using the CineForm codec or Magix MXF. CineForm offers high-quality, intermediate codecs with a user-friendly GUI and is widely supported by capture software. Alternatively, Magix MXF provides high-quality video with robust configuration options. Both codecs are well-suited for professional video capture and editing, offering superior performance and quality.
    Last edited by georgejohn21; 4th Aug 2024 at 17:40.
    Quote Quote