VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I'm trying to use AmarecTV again, but I'm having issues with it. When I used x264vfw, the video never records at all and instead gets an error that says "
    x264vfw [error]: incompatible input/output frame format (encode)".

Here are the settings I'm trying to use:

[Attachment 74572 - Click to enlarge]

And even when I try to use other codecs like Lagarith, I get super laggy video.

Is there a way I can fix this? Or is there better software for me to use?

Here are some of my specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10300H CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.50 GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
    16 GB RAM (15.8 useable)
    64-bit OS
    Windows 11 Home
    Version 22H2
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think that x264 is only for exporting, not capturing. In any case, if it could capture, it's certainly not desirable as you're converting on the fly. Also, H264/MP4 is not a desirable capture codec because it's highly compressed and is harder to post-process.

when I try to use other codecs like Lagarith, I get super laggy video.
    When? Before or after capture? You can try other codecs such as UT. Your system should be able to cope; lossless capture isn't particularly taxing.

Run through my AmarecTV guide to see if you've missed anything.

Also, try changing your capture location, if you have another physical drive in your system.
    Quote Quote  
  3. x264 is lossless with --qp 0 or --crf 0. It is just sometimes discouraged to using it for archiving due to compatibility concerns.

You can try as below with x264vfw configuration:
    - Set Profile and Level to 'Auto'
    - Output mode to File, FourCC select x264
    - Specify an output file
    - Single Pass - lossless will set --qp 0

or better select another lossless codec (Huffyuv, ffv1, UTvideo, lagarith ...).

.mp4 .mkv, or .avi are just containers and have nothing to do with lossy or lossless.
    Last edited by Sharc; 28th Oct 2023 at 09:01. Reason: added vfw settings
    Quote Quote  
  4. I can capture to both x264vfw and Lagarith with my Hauppauge USB Live2. You don't say what device you're using to capture with or at what resolution? Plus, you might want to tick the 'Zero Latency' box and the 'Virtualdub Hack' box - I don't think this will solve your problem but I'd tick them anyway. Also, the 'VerySlow' preset is probably not a great option for capturing, especially when it's supposedly Lossless. Start simple, get it working THEN start turning up the settings until you find the point that it's no longer giving smooth video with in-sync sound.

In the Lagarith settings, I seem to remember that there's a setting labelled something like 'Hardware encoding' or 'Multi-thread' . . . ? (I'm not sitting in front of a machine with AmarecTV installed) I ALWAYS had problems with this setting enabled.

Final thing, you are using AmarecTV v3.10 or earlier, aren't you? Anything after v3.10 makes you use their bespoke codec.
    "Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Which version of UTVideo do you recommend?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by TimA-C View Post
    I can capture to both x264vfw and Lagarith with my Hauppauge USB Live2. You don't say what device you're using to capture with or at what resolution?
    I was using the IO-Data GV-USB2 and recording at 720x480.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    x264 is lossless with --qp 0 or --crf 0. It is just sometimes discouraged to using it for archiving due to compatibility concerns.

You can try as below with x264vfw configuration:
    - Set Profile and Level to 'Auto'
    - Output mode to File, FourCC select x264
    - Specify an output file
    - Single Pass - lossless will set --qp 0

.mp4 .mkv, or .avi are just containers and have nothing to do with lossy or lossless.
    Yo, I tried your method, and YAY! It works! Deinterlacing with QTGMC looks so far, so good too. But there's one problem, why no sound??? I have it connected through S-Video, and it has audio options. I tried both of them, and even left the volume on my PC on while recording, but there's still no audio. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ElmoRocks05 View Post
    But there's one problem, why no sound??? I have it connected through S-Video, and it has audio options.
    SVideo does not send audio.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by ElmoRocks05 View Post
    But there's one problem, why no sound??? I have it connected through S-Video, and it has audio options. I tried both of them, and even left the volume on my PC on while recording, but there's still no audio. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
    You need to connect the audio separately: Connect the red and white RCA plugs of your GV-USB2 with the red and white RCA plugs of your player, and configure the audio in amarec tv (or VirtualDub).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When hooked up as per Sharc above, in the Audio Capture Device box, choose GV-USB2, Analog Capture.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by ElmoRocks05 View Post
    Originally Posted by TimA-C View Post
    I can capture to both x264vfw and Lagarith with my Hauppauge USB Live2. You don't say what device you're using to capture with or at what resolution?
    I was using the IO-Data GV-USB2 and recording at 720x480.
    Ah. My mistake. Good luck.
    "Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by elmorocks05 View Post
    Originally Posted by sharc View Post
    or better select another lossless codec (huffyuv, ffv1, utvideo, lagarith ...).
    which version of utvideo do you recommend?
    yuv422 bt.601 vcm (fourcc: Uly2)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Okay, I also have another problem. The video is supposed to come out at 29.97 frames, but it comes out as 25 instead, even though this is supposed to be PAL, not NTSC. How do I fix this?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do I fix this?
    Select 720x480 29.97fps on the Graph 1 tab, as per my guide.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    How do I fix this?
    I have, but it's still at 25fps.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    How do I fix this?
    I even set the frame rate to 999, as your guide said, but it still came out as 25fps.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmm, that's weird. Odd that you're getting 720x480 but not 29.97.

When you have AmarecTV open and your GV plugged in (not capturing), what fps is shown at the bottom of the window? Mine is ~29.97 bouncing around a little eg 29.3 to 30):

[Attachment 74648 - Click to enlarge]

Try typing in 29.97 on the Recording tab.

Try using another codec; you probably have YUY2 there, try that just for a few seconds. It's an uncompressed format so the file size will be huge but it might isolate the frame rate issue.

I did an NTSC test recording at 29.97 and it came out OK.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Yo, I just tried the UTvideo ULY2 encoder like what Sharc suggested, and not only did it fix the problem, but it improved the frame rate a tad bit too. No slight lags! When I deinterlaced with QTGMC, the result looks fabulous. The video is so smooth and so sharp, absolutely beautiful. Well, I think I'm finally good now. Thanks everyone for your help. If I happen to get anymore problems, I'll come back here.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Glad that you eventually made it.

For 29.97 fps NTSC you would also have to configure AmarecTV -> Graph1(Device) -> Device Setting -> Videodecoder -> select "NTSC_M"
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sharc, FYI, Amarec threw me an error message when I (deliberately) set the parameters to not match the video standard. That's what I couldn't understand.

Sounds like that x264vfw was the culprit.
    Last edited by Alwyn; 3rd Nov 2023 at 03:17.
    Quote Quote