VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This bug has been going on for years but I don't know who is really to blame, Windows or the MKVToolnix developers. Windows can show all details of MKV videos that have been muxed with MKVmerge old versions (approximately prior to version 10) but don't appers with videos muxed in later versions, Windows doesn't show MKV file properties such as video and audio codecs, height and width. Is there any way to fix that?
    Last edited by naoto89; 25th Oct 2023 at 16:52.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can't remember Windows Explorer ever showing the mkv properties you mention. I generally use MediaInfo and MKVToolNix Header Editor for getting these.
    You could ask Mosu in MTX's main thread at the doom9 forums. Maybe consider restraint on using words like bug and blaming.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Ennio View Post
    I can't remember Windows Explorer ever showing the mkv properties you mention. I generally use MediaInfo and MKVToolNix Header Editor for getting these.
    You could ask Mosu in MTX's main thread at the doom9 forums. Maybe consider restraint on using words like bug and blaming.
    I suppose it has something to do with the installed codec pack or MediaInfo integration to Windows for view properties in Explorer, I don't know. I have K-Lite Codec Pack 12 installed on Windows 7 partition, while I have K-lite Codec Pack 15 installed on Windows 10 partition. In Windows 7 I can see the properties of all MKVs regardless of MKVmerge version used for muxing, but in Windows 10 there is that bug that I mentioned before. I have installed, uninstalled and reinstalled MediaInfo and I use it in parallel with the MediaInfo that is included within K-lite Codec Pack, but nothing changes.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I never tried it and I think old versions of K-lite Codec Pack don't include it but after seeing your suggestion, I installed it and now the file properties appear in Explorer. I assume that it will not have conflicts with K-lite Codec Pack, especially due to thumbnails.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I doubt it but I don't know for sure (I usually stick to the LAV filters).
    Quote Quote  
  6. I believe it is an explorer problem. I also had this. After I started using Icaros for thumnailing I noticed it was fixed. It has a section called Proprieties that allow you to see those for selected filetypes
    Quote Quote