VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I use TSMuxer to create UHD ISO, and then use ImgBurn to burn to disc BD66 and BD100, but the BD66 and BD100 discs cannot be played on my Panasonic UHD 820 Player. Is there any way to compress the 4K UHD BD66 and BD100 discs into BD50 disc? I hope to keep 4K HEVC Dolby Vision, thank you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Never tried so far but here's a link that says ISO can be created from Dolby Vision Profile 8.

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/create-dolby-vision-iso-from-a-profile8-bl-rpu-mkv.87159/

Which would mean you'd first have to create DoVi P8 from your UHD ISO.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Ennio View Post
    Never tried so far but here's a link that says ISO can be created from Dolby Vision Profile 8.

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/create-dolby-vision-iso-from-a-profile8-bl-rpu-mkv.87159/

Which would mean you'd first have to create DoVi P8 from your UHD ISO.
    Thank you for your reply. Can I directly compress BL stream to generate a new BL stream, and then use it to replace the original BL stream?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you mean replacement next to native EL, the answer is no. It's been tried many times. Where I've learnt BL and EL need same frametypes order. Recoding BL obviously destroys its native order.

Converting to P8 means having BL only (recoded or not) and "inject" it with RPU (DoVi's dynamic metadata). At which point you must be careful. On UHDBD (DoVi Profile 7), note that RPU is always authored to be applied on full outcome of combined BL and EL. Where in case of EL being FEL (Full Enhancement Layer) it's often not recommended to use RPU for P8.

That having said, I am at the very moment looking into "DoViBaker". It can take FEL's additional videodata and apply it on BL, prior to recoding. Whether the outcome can be combined with P8-converted RPU and how all works out I yet have to learn.

[EDIT] Having read more on dovibaker, I understand it uses FEL's both RPU and videodata to merge with BL into one videostream.
    Last edited by Ennio; 29th Oct 2023 at 06:24. Reason: update
    Quote Quote  
  5. Because the m2ts file of the UHD disc already contains the double-layer Dolby Vision, I want to keep the EL+RPU layer without doing any processing, and then use handbreak to compress the BL stream, which is a 4K HEVC 10bit HDR video with a large amount of data (high bit rate), and then replace the original BL stream with the compressed video, and finally use TSMuxer to generate 4K UHD ISO.
    [Attachment 74603 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  6. Because the m2ts file of the UHD disc already contains the double-layer Dolby Vision, I want to keep the EL+RPU layer without doing any processing, and then use handbreak to compress the BL stream, which is a 4K HEVC 10bit HDR video with a large amount of data (high bit rate), and then replace the original BL stream with the compressed video, and finally use TSMuxer to generate 4K UHD ISO.
    [Attachment 74603 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just use mkvmerge to split the m2ts into 2 parts and use what ever program you want to burn to 2 50gb discs without any encoding.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by moon_light View Post
    Because the m2ts file of the UHD disc already contains the double-layer Dolby Vision, I want to keep the EL+RPU layer without doing any processing, and then use handbreak to compress the BL stream...
    I already understood your intention. But like I said

Originally Posted by Ennio View Post
    If you mean replacement next to native EL, the answer is no. It's been tried many times. Where I've learnt BL and EL need same frametypes order. Recoding BL obviously destroys its native order.
    Do consider that should EL be MEL (Minimum Enhancement Layer; this only carries RPU), P8 is equivalent as it will contain all video- and DoVi metadata that is on disc. So in which case, as a valid intermediate to the link in my first post, you can recode BL and first create a P8 file.
    Your tsMuxer's screenshot doesn't show whether EL is FEL or MEL.
    Quote Quote  
  9. M2ts of UHD discs are double-layer DV, so they are FEL, not MEL. they are profile 7
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not true. P7 is indeed double layer. BL and EL. Where EL is always either MEL or FEL.

FYI https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=276448
    Last edited by Ennio; 30th Oct 2023 at 11:39.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thank you, you provided very important information!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You're welcome. You can check for yourself whether a Dovi disc has MEL or FEL by importing it in MakeMKV. When you go to the videosection's properties, it will show either MEL or FEL.
    Also, often it can be told by MediaInfo. Though it doesn't directly provide with MEL or FEL in words, EL's bitrate and/or streamsize can tell.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thank you! I used DVDFab UHD Creator to load an M2TS file containing double-layer DV, and then used transcode mode to make it into UHD. I found that compared with the original M2TS ES stream, its EL stream was basically unchanged, except for a few bytes.
    The BL stream is compressed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If EL barely changed in size I'm guessing your UHDBD has MEL. And possibly the same as described in my link will be done. It also uses DVDFab where I reckon a dummy MEL is created, which only carries RPU.

I wonder how DVDFab would behave when feeding P7 FEL in this "transcode mode". I'm afraid FEL's additional videodata will be ignored and only RPU will be used in a dummy MEL. At which point not all videodata is in the endresult, which playback experience may/may not be as intended.

As such, I'm curious to what DVDFab can conjure up with when feeding it Saving Private Ryan. It's a notorious FEL title that's said to have severe non-constant luminance changes by FEL which are compensated when RPU is applied on composer output. However I don't intend to spend any time nor dime on both the movie and software.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Is there any way to tell whether a HEVC stream is FEL or MEL?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, if you're willing to read.
    You can check for yourself whether a Dovi disc has MEL or FEL by importing it in MakeMKV. When you go to the videosection's properties, it will show either MEL or FEL.
    Quote Quote  
  17. This method is possible, I have succeeded, it works on Panasonic DP-UB820, I encode the BL stream directly, and then composite it with the original M2TS, below is my handbreak setting.Image
    [Attachment 74740 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 74739 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I take it your disc was MEL?
    Quote Quote  
  19. I don't know whether it is FEL or MEL. It shows 12 bit Dolby Vision, I tested it with makemkv, but I don't know where to display this information. Could you take a screenshot and show it to me? thank you!
    [Attachment 74761 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by moon_light; 8th Nov 2023 at 03:06.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Got it, thank you! It seems to be mel.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I thought so. Try to do the same procedure with a FEL title and see what it results to.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I checked all my UHD discs and they are all MEL(original disc).
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hate to hijack this thread but my question I think is following this discussion. The OP asked about not being able to play BD66 or BD100 discs on his UB820(I have the same player)

I have ripped UHD discs with DVDFab UHD copy and split the movie into 2 parts and used two blank 50gb discs. 2 out of 4 however have choppy playback, not sure why. Some have suggested it happens when the movies are split in DVDfab before ripping. If this is the case as johns0 has suggested using mkvmerge to split the m2ts files in 2 parts and burn from there.

Will mkvmerge preserve the Dolby Vision, HDR10 etc. and keep Dolby atmos, DTSx etc without recoding either video or audio?
    I would also like to keep in m2ts format bluray structure.

Thanks.
    Last edited by lucas 1; 11th Dec 2023 at 11:44.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by lucas 1 View Post
    I hate to hijack this thread but my question I think is following this discussion. The OP asked about not being able to play BD66 or BD100 discs on his UB820(I have the same player)

I have ripped UHD discs with DVDFab UHD copy and split the movie into 2 parts and used two blank 50gb discs. 2 out of 4 however have choppy playback, not sure why. Some have suggested it happens when the movies are split in DVDfab before ripping. If this is the case as johns0 has suggested using mkvmerge to split the m2ts files in 2 parts and burn from there.

Will mkvmerge preserve the Dolby Vision, HDR10 etc. and keep Dolby atmos, DTSx etc without recoding either video or audio?

Thanks.
    If you don't compress, but just split it into two parts, why not use TsMuxer? You can use the Split function to split an M2TS file into two, and then use the two M2TS to create ISOs respectively.
    [Attachment 75466 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lucas 1 View Post
    I have ripped UHD discs with DVDFab UHD copy
    I think you'll do better ripping full disc with MakeMKV. It's free while in beta.

Will mkvmerge preserve the Dolby Vision, HDR10 etc. and keep Dolby atmos, DTSx etc without recoding either video or audio?.
    Both mkvmerge and tsMuxer are no encoders so basically audio and video stay untouched. I've no experience with chopping up Dolby Vision, why don't you just give it a try?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by moon_light View Post

Thanks.
    If you don't compress, but just split it into two parts, why not use TsMuxer? You can use the Split function to split an M2TS file into two, and then use the two M2TS to create ISOs respectively.
    [Attachment 75466 - Click to enlarge]
    Thank you, I can try this. However, I noticed in the specs for tsMuxer is can't decode Dolby Atmos, at least it's not listed. Honestly I didn't realize my gpu does not meet the minimum requirements for UHD Copy. This may or may not be the problem.
    Last edited by lucas 1; 12th Dec 2023 at 08:39.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have ripped UHD discs with DVDFab UHD copy
    I think you'll do better ripping full disc with MakeMKV. It's free while in beta.

Will mkvmerge preserve the Dolby Vision, HDR10 etc. and keep Dolby atmos, DTSx etc without recoding either video or audio?.
    Both mkvmerge and tsMuxer are no encoders so basically audio and video stay untouched. I've no experience with chopping up Dolby Vision, why don't you just give it a try?
    I have a paid version of DVDFab UHD copy. I have used it for years ripping and burning standard Blu-rays discs with no issue.
    I would try makemkv, but right now I only have a panasonic ub820 to watch the movies through. saving the file to a hard drive and running through the player won't work. The audio is not output as lossless. Burning to disc is my only option, without buying a Zidoo or something like that to play the files through. I know it's not cost effective to buy blank discs but i'll figure it out.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    However, I noticed in the specs for tsMuxer is can't decode Dolby Atmos, at least it's not listed.
    It doesn't need to. In case of stream copying & -splitting, any audio- or videostream doesn't have to be decoded.
    So I'd just go ahead and try moon_light's suggestion to split the movie in tsMuxer.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    However, I noticed in the specs for tsMuxer is can't decode Dolby Atmos, at least it's not listed.
    It doesn't need to. In case of stream copying & -splitting, any audio- or videostream doesn't have to be decoded.
    So I'd just go ahead and try moon_light's suggestion to split the movie in tsMuxer.
    Okay, I will try it. If I decide to use makemkv to rip the main movie with one audio selection. Can tsMuxer take an mkv file and output to m2ts or Bluray compliant. I think I read that it could do this.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote