VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

Please advise can Digital 8 camcorders record video on 8mm and Hi8 tapes. To my understanding it can't after reading following URL

Can Digital 8 camcorders record in the 8mm or Hi8™ format?
    https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00025041

Digital 8 camcorders can only record in the Digital 8 format. However, most Digital 8 camcorders are backwards compatible and can playback existing 8mm and Hi8 tapes.

If I'm wrong please advise me. Thanks

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    Digital8 camcorders can use both standard 8 as well as Hi8 tape. Most of them cannot record analog video, but can play it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bwaak View Post
    Digital8 camcorders can use both standard 8 as well as Hi8 tape. Most of them cannot record analog video, but can play it.
    Thanks for your advice.

We must use Digital 8 tape for recording analog vidoe ?

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    There is no special Digital8 tape. You can use any 8-mm tape to record in Digital8 format.

The only time tape type matters is when you want to record Hi8. In this case you need to use Hi8 tape.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    We must use Digital 8 tape for recording analog vidoe ?
    No, You need an analog camcorder to record analog video on any cassette format.

- Video8 camcorder records only Video8 on (Video8 cassettes, Hi8 cassettes, D8 cassettes). But plays back only V8 recordings.
    - Hi8 camcorder records Video8 on (Video8 cassette, Hi8 cassette, D8 cassette). And it records Hi8 on (Hi8 cassette, D8 cassette), But plays back only Video8 and Hi8 recordings.
    - D8 camcorder records D8 on (Video8 cassette, Hi8 cassette, D8 cassette). But plays back D8 recordings and only if capable plays back Video8 and Hi8 recordings.

There are attempts to record Hi8 on Video8 cassettes by punching an extra hole but results may vary, Sony gave a warning for attempts to record D8 on Video8 cassette that some pixelization maybe noticed when playing back these V8 tapes on other D8 players.

Hope this brief summary doesn't add more confusion.
    Last edited by dellsam34; 16th Oct 2023 at 10:54. Reason: Added correction
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    There is no special Digital8 tape. You can use any 8-mm tape to record in Digital8 format.
    As far as I know you cannot record D8 on Video8 cassettes without punching a hole, but results will be mediocre with pixelization as I mentioned above depends on the V8 cassette quality.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    As far as I know you cannot record D8 on Video8 cassettes without punching a hole, but results will be mediocre with pixelization as I mentioned above depends on the V8 cassette quality.
    You can. No holes needed. Looks fine, like any other DV.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks

Re
    What is the difference between Digital8 and Hi8 / Video8 formats?
    https://www.porterelectronics.com/blog/what-is-the-difference-between-digital8-and-hi8...ideo8-formats/
    Both Hi8 and Video 8 are analog formats recorded onto a Hi8/Videotape and recorded at a rate that 1 tape lasts 2 hours in SP mode. Hi8 is just a higher quality video format than Video8. Digital 8 is a digital format (think 1’s and 0’s) that also gets recorded onto Video8 and Hi8 tape but is also very different from Hi8 and Video8.

Why should I go back to analog format if the Digital 8 camcorder can record Digital8 format on V8 (8-mm) tape?

The only time tape type matters is when you want to record Hi8. In this case you need to use Hi8 tape.
    The video will be recorded on Digtal8 format ?

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  9. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Had to dust off my memory, Yes you can without holes for D8 but Sony gave a warning about incompatibility problems with other players:

[Attachment 74366 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  10. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Take your time and digest the responses, everything is already answered.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search PM
    Why should I go back to analog format if the Digital 8 camcorder can record Digital8 format on V8 (8-mm) tape?
    No idea.

• There are two tape types: standard 8 and Hi8.
    • There are also two formulations, MP an ME. MP can be standard 8 or Hi8. ME is always Hi8.
    • There are three recording types: standard 8, Hi8 and Digital8.
      • Standard 8 recording can be done on any tape.
      • Hi8 recording requires Hi8 tape. A camcorder will not record Hi8 on standard 8 tape.
      • Digital8 recording can be done on any tape. Using standard 8 tape is not recommended for Digital8 format, but is not prohibited.
    • Digital8 camcorders record only in Digital8 format, but often can play all three formats.
    Also check this blog post to see the difference in type detection holes.

Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Had to dust off my memory, Yes you can without holes for D8 but Sony gave a warning about incompatibility problems with other players.
    Yes, I am aware of the warning. Many early 2000s Hi8 cassettes were branded as Hi8/Digital8. I don't know how serious the issue is. I used standard 8 tape on just one Digital8 camcorder, it displayed no warnings and worked fine, without visible image defects.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    If you have V8 tapes with D8 recordings you better get them transferred, I heard that they don't age well, Also watch out for Metal Evaporated cassettes, the magnetic layer tend to flake off due to failed bonding agent.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    When you need (or plan ) to play these tapes back with a Video8 camera or video8 player because you don't have access to Digital8 devices for some reason.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Based on his location, I'm starting to think that the OP lacks English and means by recording, playing back. Unless he is just really lost and confused.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's a few curved balls being thrown here.

@Satimis, you cannot record analogue video on a Digital 8 camcorder. Period. If you want to record analogue video, you'll need an analogue (Video 8 or Video Hi8) camcorder.

Most, but not all, Digital8 camcorders, can play Video 8 and Video Hi8 tapes and you can therefore capture from them, either using Firewire (if you have a FW port on your computer) or using a analogue-to-USB digitiser.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    - snip -
    Yes, I am aware of the warning. Many early 2000s Hi8 cassettes were branded as Hi8/Digital8. I don't know how serious the issue is. I used standard 8 tape on just one Digital8 camcorder, it displayed no warnings and worked fine, without visible image defects.
    If I understand your advice correctely

1) Hi8 camcorders can record and play back video on both V8 (8-mm) and Hi8 cassettes
    2) Digital8 camcorders also can record and play back video on both V8 (8-mm) and Hi8 cassettes ?

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    There's a few curved balls being thrown here.

@Satimis, you cannot record analogue video on a Digital 8 camcorder. Period. If you want to record analogue video, you'll need an analogue (Video 8 or Video Hi8) camcorder.
    Hi Alwyn,

Thanks for your advice.

I don't mind the video captured on V8 (8-mm) casettes are digital video provided that they can be download to desktop PC vis its USB2 or USB3 ports. I'll convert the video download to .mp4 format and view them on computer display.

Most, but not all, Digital8 camcorders, can play Video 8 and Video Hi8 tapes and you can therefore capture from them, either using Firewire (if you have a FW port on your computer) or using a analogue-to-USB digitiser.
    Noted and thanks

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  18. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    If I understand your advice correctely

1) Hi8 camcorders can record and play back video on both V8 (8-mm) and Hi8 cassettes
    2) Digital8 camcorders also can record and play back video on both V8 (8-mm) and Hi8 cassettes ?

Regards
    I don't think you understand, Since you can't understand pot #5 I don't think you ever will.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dellsam, If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Are you the moderator now? Jees. Post #5 is more than nice.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks

Regards
    Quote Quote