VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone,

I seldom engage in subtitling tasks, but I am currently undertaking the creation of subtitles for some tutorials as a favor to a friend. I am using Subtitle Edit 4.0.1, which is really awesome program. I've transcribed a video featuring English dialogue, used Google Translate to convert it into Serbian, but now I need to make minor adjustments in terms of translation and synchronization.

I encounter a challenge when I navigate back to a previous subtitle line. As I progress further into the video file, it takes progressively longer for Subtitle Edit to allow me to continue my work. Presently, I am approximately 20 minutes into the video, and if I return to a previous line, I haven't precisely timed it, but it feels like it takes around 20 minutes or so before the program starts playing the video from that specific position.

I don't use Subtitle Edit frequently, so my experience is limited, but I am confident that it should not be operating in this manner, given that it is otherwise an excellent program. I don't believe this issue is related to my computer's performance (I'm using an i5 processor with 16 GB of RAM and an Nvidia GTX 750 graphics card), and the video I'm working with has a resolution of 864x480, which should not demand excessive computing power. I suspect that there might be a program setting causing this issue. I attempted to search for a solution online but couldn't find anyone experiencing the same problem.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on how to resolve this issue. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is probably due to factors in the source video file.
    Do a quick re-encode in Vidcoder, Handbrake or similar and use that for the subtitles
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hey Dave, thanks for the reply.
    I've actually managed to solve the problem.
    Apparently the cause of the described problem was using default "Direct Show" as a video player.
    I switched to the "VLC media player" and now the Subtitle Edit responds instantly!
    I haven't tried the other two options (mpv and MPC+HC) as I'm more than happy with what I've already got.
    Thanks once again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by azdaja2005 View Post
    Hey Dave, thanks for the reply.
    Apparently the cause of the described problem was using default "Direct Show" as a video player.
    I switched to the "VLC media player" and now the Subtitle Edit responds instantly!
    I haven't tried the other two options (mpv and MPC+HC) as I'm more than happy with what I've already got.
    Thanks once again.
    That sounds good. I use SE so infrequently I had forgotten you could set it up that way.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Thanks once again.
    That sounds good. I use SE so infrequently I had forgotten you could set it up that way.
    A small hijack: Dave, since so many of the questions in the subtitle forum are about Subtitle Edit, which alternative do you use?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Thanks once again.
    A small hijack: Dave, since so many of the questions in the subtitle forum are about Subtitle Edit, which alternative do you use?
    Hi Lon - These days, hardly anything because I don't do much with subtitles at all. In the past I've used Subtitle Workshop and interestingly
    enough I noticed it's still being developed
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for the reply. I just don't know about breaking in another sub program though I sometimes think I'd get more control with
    less features-- not so much 'we'll do it for you. ' But I don't know if Workshop etc have a good transition.

Prob'ly a new thread is needed if more on it.
    Quote Quote