VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I downloaded a movie but the aspect ratio makes the picture look tall and skinny. Is there an easy free program that I can download to fix it?
    [Attachment 74296 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 74297 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. It looks like your video already has the correct aspect ratio flagged. Just use a player that plays it correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Why isn't Media Player Classic playing it correctly. It usually plays everything correctly. But you were right. VLC is playing it correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You mean the one your link points to? That hasn't been updated since 2010. Switch to MPCHC or MPCBE.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I had MPC-HC1.8.6.x64 installed and just updated to MPC-HC.2.0.0.x64 but the video is still tall and skinny.

I copy my videos onto an external hdd and connect it to a Micca Speck G2 Digital Media Player that I have connected to my tv. This movie also plays tall and skinny on my tv, some others do too, and they can't be corrected by changing the aspect ratio settings on the Micca. That was the reason that I wanted to change the aspect ratio of the video(s) itself using a program. I'm even more confused now that VLC plays them with the correct aspect ratio but the updated version of MPC-HC and my tv don't.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Make sure MPCHC is set to keep the original aspect ratio: Video Frame -> Aspect Ratio -> Default (DAR). Same for your media player box -- though I don't know the procedure there.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I couldn't find "Video Frame" in any of the settings under View -> Options. Where is it located?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Right click on the player as the video is playing. Brings up the context menu.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Post a mediainfo report (text mode) from your mp4 here.
    Maybe there is an aspect ratio flag at container level.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Make sure MPCHC is set to keep the original aspect ratio: Video Frame -> Aspect Ratio -> Default (DAR)
    Aspect Ratio was set to 185:100. I changed it to DAR and it plays at the correct aspect ratio now. Thanks for showing me that setting.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Post a mediainfo report (text mode) from your mp4 here.
    Maybe there is an aspect ratio flag at container level.
    I got the problem resolved by changing the DAR but I thought I'd post the MediaInfo text since you were so kind to reply.

[Attachment 74306 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  12. @HartsVideo

Thx, all fine with this mp4, should play correct with any videoplayer.
    Quote Quote