VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was once considering getting a DSLR digital still camera to use for video as well. However, the manuals for a couple of them that I researched said that the camera will deliberately limit the time you can continously shoot video before it shuts down to prevent overheating. (Since the camera is not primarily designed for video.) If I remember right, I think the time was fairly short, like maybe 10-15 mins or so. Do all or most DSLR cameras do this with video? Are there any that can handle shooting video without that restriction? (Limited only by memory space, battery life, etc.)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Overheating is not the issue anymore if it ever really was. In the EU, any camera that could record video 30 minutes or more are considered video cameras and subject to a higher import duty than still cameras.

Here's a fairly up op date list of current capabilities:
    https://www.recordinglimits.com/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search PM
    What would you shoot for more than 30 minutes unattended? A sports game? A theater play? Other cameras may be more applicable for these tasks.

My US-sold DSLR has 30-minute record limit, so not just EU. I guess it is the same model sold worldwide, so they did not make changes for the US.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Bwaak View Post
    What would you shoot for more than 30 minutes unattended? A sports game? A theater play? Other cameras may be more applicable for these tasks.

My US-sold DSLR has 30-minute record limit, so not just EU. I guess it is the same model sold worldwide, so they did not make changes for the US.

The issue I'm concerned about is the disclaimers on these which say the camera may shut down (even earlier than the limit) due to overheating. So IF after shooting for that time (or less) you'd have to let the camera cool off (by keeping it turned off) before you could shoot again, that would be a problem. But IF it simply limits one continous file to 30 min, but can always keep going right afterwards by manually starting another recording, that may be OK.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    You need to read reviews about specific cameras in specific (read: hot) conditions. Some cameras heat up quickly, other less so. Some cameras have an override setting to keep shooting despite overheating.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by MisterF View Post
    Are there any that can handle shooting video without that restriction?
    1. use external recorder or
    2. use a camcorder
    3. use mirrorless camera

Originally Posted by MisterF View Post
    Since the camera is not primarily designed for video
    people love them because of the "look" but camcorders can give the same look with tuning and post production.

some use DSLR for film making but renting an actual cinema camera or buying an old 16mm film camera might be a better option.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by 4kblurayguru View Post
    people love them because of the "look" but camcorders can give the same look with tuning and post production.
    A quick filtering on B&H website by the sensor size show two dozen camcorders with 1-inch sensor and just one shoulder-mount $25K camcorder with 4/3-inch sensor. Anything bigger, and you are looking either at a DSLR or a pro cinema camera.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by 4kblurayguru View Post
    renting an actual cinema camera or buying an old 16mm film camera might be a better option.
    Arri 16s's are going f0r $4,000 (SRs for $17,000) and have you priced 16mm film, processing and transfer lately?
    Last edited by smrpix; 12th Oct 2023 at 10:11.
    Quote Quote