VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I find it easier to browse jpgs with my favorite graphics viewer than using the pdf readers I've seen, at least for magazine collections.
    I've experimented with converting pdf files to jpg image sets using a Ghostscript script I've found and it works on most pdfs.
    I had purchased a DVD set of National Lampoon Magazine some years ago, the files are pdf and the Ghostscript process leaves a watermark across the page.
    I've tried an online converter that seems to work well (no watermark) but there are over 200 pdf files to deal with and I'd prefer a local conversion.
    Got frustrated when a program touted as "free" won't do the job unless you buy the premium version. Some of them are a subscription service (You will own nothing and be happy) and this is something I won't be using that often.

Any suggestions appreciated, I won't even mind paying a reasonable fee for something that works.
    I still run Windows 7 and that may matter software-wise.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    I did try it again... It wouldn't recognize pdf files unless I set "All Files" in the open box. The PDF Plug In is active.
    I fiddled with the batch conversion but it would only do the first page, which looks OK.
    Did I miss something? These are multi-page pdf files.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did some more searching and found that you have to load the PDF, then under OPTIONS - Extract All Frames.
    Looks promising, will have to evaluate resolution, etc.
    I guess Irfanview is pretty handy.

EDIT: Compared images extracted with Irfanview and images extracted with Ghostscript and the Irfanview images are 708 X 960 where the other ones are 2213 X 3000. How do you get Irfanview to extract the original resolution images?

Edit Again: Found the DPI setting for the PDF Plugin. That affects the resolution.
    Maybe someone else will find this helpful.
    Last edited by JoeS99; 7th Oct 2023 at 16:00. Reason: update
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can use ABBYY FineReader. Load the pdf file and use file > Save As and select Page Images and then TIFF > Create a separate file for each page (JPG doesn't look sharp, USE TIFF but it is quite large size. Your choice).
    I think there is free trial for FineReader. Check system requirement, latest version might not work for Windows 7 but older versions did.
    Last edited by Subtitles; 8th Oct 2023 at 10:26.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, I'm always looking for utilities like that.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Free and open source, I'll check it out!
    Quote Quote