VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I am trying to reduce my movie library size and have always kept all English AC3, DTS, DTS-HD MA, TrueHD and Atmos tracks, but I think I can save space by just keeping the best quality track as I believe they will play in receivers that don't have DTS, DTS-HD MA, TrueHD and Atmos capability. I read somewhere that they have the AC3 inof built in or they will play in receivers without DTS. Is this the case? Can I safely save space by omitting the AC3 tracks?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Did you ever compared for example AC3 and DTS or DTS-HD MA and TrueHD? If there is no significant difference in terms of content then i would keep smaller version of audio (so AC3 over DTS) .
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That pertains to authored dvd/blu-ray where ac3 are kept to keep disc playable in most settings,if for just mkv/mp4 playback then just use the best audio your receiver can play
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    just use the best audio your receiver can play
    And hope you next one supports it too. And the next one. And the next one...
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Op can always make an ac3 from the audio he keeps if ever needed.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank for the responses! They are very much appreciated! johns0 makes a good point of being able to create another audio from the lossless source, which you cannot do the other way around. I can tell the difference being an ex-audio engineer. Not only is the quality better but there are less artifacts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If preserving 3D audio is important to you, I don't think audioformats like Dolby Atmos and DTS:X can be recoded while keeping trajectory data and target audio packets. At least not with freeware.
    When encoding with a "lossy" codec, you may want to consider using EAC3. In my experience it sounds better than AC3 at equal bitrate. And which for EAC3 isn't limited to 640 kbps.
    Quote Quote