VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I'm searching an Pal camcorder to rip my old Sony V8 tapes to computer as digital video. I found following camcorder on Internet;

Sony Pal Hi8 Handycam Camcorder - 20x Zoom VGC (CCD-TRV87E)
    Can this camcorder play and record Sony V8 tapes ?

Please advise.

Besides do I need an Analog Video Digitizer and Video Capture Device
    to connect the camcorder to computer ?

Thanks in advance

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    A Hi8 camcorder can play and recorder in regular Video8 format. The TRV87E also has built-in TBC, which is an invaluable feature.
    Quote Quote  
  3. History repeats ..... @satimis: will you ever move ahead and buy anything ?....
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/411611-Seeking-for-advice-converting-old-V8-tapes
    Last edited by Sharc; 5th Oct 2023 at 13:42.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bwaak View Post
    A Hi8 camcorder can play and recorder in regular Video8 format. The TRV87E also has built-in TBC, which is an invaluable feature.
    Thanks

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    History repeats ..... @satimis: will you ever move ahead and buy anything ?....
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/411611-Seeking-for-advice-converting-old-V8-tapes
    It is really my headache here. I have been shopping around here contacting the sellers but with following results as example:

1) The sellers never replied my emails asking whether the camcorder 100% working.

2) The sellers never replied me how to guarrantee the camcorder is working with non-return policy imposed.

3) About battery - The seller replied me that it was not included because his country disallowed shipping battery. He asked me to shop on Internet but he never replied my email on the model of the battery shopped by me. Whether it is the right model.

etc.

If a non-return policy is imposed on the sales term how can the seller guarrantee the camcorder is working.

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

Just found another used camcorder;
    Sony PAL Handycam Camcorder Standard8 Hi8 Digital8 Transfer - Used (DCR-TRV239E)

Return:
    14 days return. Buyer pays for return postage

I contacted the seller 6 hours ago to clarify the performance of the camcorder under offer and relevant technical question about tranferring video on V8 tape to computer. The seller just emailed me a reply mentioning the camcorded being in good working condition and a URL asking me to read the manual myself in respect of techical questions.

manual:
    https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/3072/30726531M.pdf

Please help me to find out whether this camcorder can be connected to computer via a digitiser ripping video from V8 tape to PC. I'll purchase a digitiser separately.

Where can I find on the manual, DCR-TRV239E is for PAL system?

Digitiser to be purchased separately ;
    Hauppauge 610 USB-Live 2 Analog Video Digitizer and Video Capture Device
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/223687083029?hash=item3414ca0415:g:CzAAAOSw-qNdkdZF&amdata=en...Bk9SR97Q-PHUYg

Thanks in advance

Regards

Edit-1
    ===

On p-243

Code:
    Using your camcorder
    You can use your camcorder in any country or
    area with the AC power adaptor supplied with
    your camcorder within 100 V to 240 V AC, 50/60
    Hz.

Your camcorder is a PAL system based
    camcorder. If you want to view the playback
    picture on a TV, it must be a PAL system based
    TV with VIDEO/AUDIO input jack.
    The following shows TV colour systems used
    overseas.
    Edit-2
    ===

On p-131
    TBC on/off
    DNR on/off
    photo - sony_DCR-TRV239E_3.png

on p-251
    Specification
    S-video output
    photo - sony_DCR-TRV239E_4_80.png
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sony_DCR-TRV239E_3.png
Views:	8
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	74223  

Click image for larger version

Name:	sony_DCR-TRV239E_4_80.png
Views:	11
Size:	292.0 KB
ID:	74224  

Last edited by satimis; 6th Oct 2023 at 07:08.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just receive another email from seller in reply to my question whether the accessories shown on the manual are supplied ?
    (please see attached photo - sony_DCR-TRV239E_1.png)

According to his reply that only those on the Sales Advertising Photo will be supplied. If I need others the seller requests me to indicate allowing him to check.
    (Sales Advertising Photo - sony_DCR-TRV239E_2_50.png)
    On the Sales Advertising Photo I only see the Camcorder, Battery Charger and its cable. No adapter, connecting the battery charger direct to Camcorder

What accessories do I need? Please advise.

Thanks

Name:	sony_DCR-TRV239E_1.png
Views:	9
Size:	419.9 KB
ID:	74215  

Click image for larger version

Name:	sony_DCR-TRV239E_2_50.png
Size:	269.4 KB
ID:	74216  

Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    On further reading the links

ebay
    Hauppauge 610 USB-Live 2 Analog Video Digitizer and Video Capture Device

amazon
    Hauppauge 610 USB-Live 2 Analog Video Digitizer and Video Capture Device Black/White

Would it be different ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    From the hardware point of view there is only one version of the Hauppauge USB-Live 2.
    The color of the box or the supplied software may change, which is irrelevant.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That camcorder, specs-wise, is just what you need. It has S-Video out, Firewire, a TBC and DNR and plays all 8mm tapes.

The battery is charged when it is installed on the camcorder. The cable to the camcorder is fixed/attached to the power adapter. The other cable is from the wall socket to the power adapter and it's a standard two-socket lead commonly used for many electrical gadgets such as boom boxes/ghetto blasters and VCRs:

Adapter-end of mains lead:
    [Attachment 74225 - Click to enlarge]

Socket on adapter for mains lead:
    [Attachment 74226 - Click to enlarge]

One end of the adapter comes from Mains power, the other end goes to the camcorder for power and charging.

So, provided the actual power adapter is supplied and you can get a mains cable with an end as shown above, you'll be good to go.

The other cable you will need is the A/V combo lead, for any analogue video transfers, to get audio out. This model (and some other D8s) have the small tri-pole Red/White/Yellow combo cable:

[Attachment 74230 - Click to enlarge]

This one works on my Canon camcorder and also my Sony TRV330 (similar layout to yours), so I assume they are reasonably generic. If you don't get one with your camcorder, you should be able to purchase one.

You'll need a S-Video cable if capturing analogue (preferred in lieu of Composite); it's video-only.

You'll need a Firewire cable (4-pin on the camcorder side, 4 or 6 pin on the computer side) if transferring video and audio via Firewire (recommended for D8 format video)

The bottom-loading layout of the 239 is highly desirable, because it means you can access the heads reasonably easily for cleaning. The top loaders are much more difficult because the heads are down the bottom and hard to reach.

So, on the face of it, I see no reason stopping this camcorder from being OK for your purposes. Ultimately though, the decision is yours, and yours alone.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    So, on the face of it, I see no reason stopping this camcorder from being OK for your purposes. Ultimately though, the decision is yours, and yours alone.
    +1
    Go for it
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    That camcorder, specs-wise, is just what you need. It has S-Video out, Firewire, a TBC and DNR and plays all 8mm tapes.

The battery is charged when it is installed on the camcorder. The cable to the camcorder is fixed/attached to the power adapter. The other cable is from the wall socket to the power adapter and it's a standard two-socket lead commonly used for many electrical gadgets such as boom boxes/ghetto blasters and VCRs:

Adapter-end of mains lead:
    [Attachment 74225 - Click to enlarge]

Socket on adapter for mains lead:
    [Attachment 74226 - Click to enlarge]

One end of the adapter comes from Mains power, the other end goes to the camcorder for power and charging.

So, provided the actual power adapter is supplied and you can get a mains cable with an end as shown above, you'll be good to go.

The other cable you will need is the A/V combo lead, for any analogue video transfers, to get audio out. This model (and some other D8s) have the small tri-pole Red/White/Yellow combo cable:

[Attachment 74230 - Click to enlarge]

This one works on my Canon camcorder and also my Sony TRV330 (similar layout to yours), so I assume they are reasonably generic. If you don't get one with your camcorder, you should be able to purchase one.

You'll need a S-Video cable if capturing analogue (preferred in lieu of Composite); it's video-only.

You'll need a Firewire cable (4-pin on the camcorder side, 4 or 6 pin on the computer side) if transferring video and audio via Firewire (recommended for D8 format video)

The bottom-loading layout of the 239 is highly desirable, because it means you can access the heads reasonably easily for cleaning. The top loaders are much more difficult because the heads are down the bottom and hard to reach.

Hi,

Lot of thanks for your advice and your time spent to help me.

Yes, I'll ask for the A/V connecting cable and the USB cable.

S-Video cable and Firewire cable wont' be supplied. Are they available on market?

I'll purchase them after having purchased the camcorder.

What other things I have to clarify with the seller before making my counter offer and placing order?

Thanks in advance

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    S-Video cable and Firewire cable wont' be supplied. Are they available on market?
    This is a head scratcher... S-Video and Firewire cables, really hard to find, it is almost like they don't make them anymore.

Seriously though, you need a Firewire cable that has four pins on one end for the camcorder, and whatever number of pins on another end to match your computer, can be four, six or nine.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are they available on market?
    Google!

What other things I have to clarify with the seller before making my counter offer and placing order?
    Nothing else that I can think of.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

While waiting the seller's reply.

I found another camcorder on ebay;
    Sony Digital Handycam DCR-TRV110E PAL 8mm Video8 Hi8 Digital8 Camera Camcorder

Price is about 30% cheaper

Accessories included:
    Camcorder carrying bag
    Battery charger
    Battery
    Remote control
    connecting cables - such as A/V cable etc
    2 unused V8 tapes, still packed

The camcorder is quite new with original packing box displayed. According to seller's information that the camcorder was owned by his father, only using it about 10 times.

Which of them is a newer model?

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Regards

Name:	another_camcorder50.png
Size:	394.9 KB
ID:	74243  

Last edited by satimis; 7th Oct 2023 at 06:51. Reason: add photo
    Quote Quote  
  16. The 110E has no TBC as far as I can see.
    Someone else may chime in ....
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search PM
    While waiting the seller's reply...
    I see that becomes a constant refrain. You know what you need. Buy something already.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    The 110E has no TBC as far as I can see.
    Someone else may chime in ....
    I'm now checking the online manual

manual online:
    https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/3865/38659711M.pdf

no;
    TBC
    DNR

Specification - p113
    Last edited by satimis; 7th Oct 2023 at 09:51.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bwaak View Post
    While waiting the seller's reply...
    I see that becomes a constant refrain. You know what you need. Buy something already.
    Yes, my need is to rip old Sony V8 tapes, converting them to digital video. I still have several brand-new Sony V8 tapes on shelves, packed in original packing. I'm willing to pay a little bid more to get a better camcorder which can be used after ripping all old Sony V8 tapes. Rather then dump the camcorder afterwards.

There is no urgency because at present I'm fully engaged in restoring old photos converting them to digital images. I have 1,000 ~ 2,000 paper photos. Some of them have turned to yellow color. Either I have to restore them on GIMP or to scan their negatives.

There are further work for me to do on the digital images, not leaving them on storage drive. I'll convert them to digital slide-shows, adding tiles, narration, background musics etc. After finish I'll upload them to YouTube.

Example:

Lake Tahoe
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukNvZyrJGuY

The digital slide-show was built on old photos taken in Sacramento, California and Lake Tahoe, Nevada, USA

Toronto summer n winter (digital slide-show built on old photos)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXFR9aXJHsA

Niagara Falls 1990 (old video)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuRSUUbLTDU

Honolulu (digital slide-show built on old photos)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaWmDmYXpRs
    Last edited by satimis; 7th Oct 2023 at 12:25.
    Quote Quote