VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi, I downloaded a video file which seemingly has some frame blending/ghosting. It's very subtle. My general question is, what's the simplest way to remove this? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-09-30 022554.png
Views:	45
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	74113  

Quote Quote  
  2. You'll have to provide a video sample (one including a medium speed panning shot is best) because exactly what you might do depends on the particular video. But basically, you subtract the ghost by using another frame as reference.

Code:
    Blend = A + B
    so

Code:
    A = Blend - B
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You'll have to provide a video sample (one including a medium speed panning shot is best) because exactly what you might do depends on the particular video. But basically, you subtract the ghost by using another frame as reference.

Code:
    Blend = A + B
    so

Code:
    A = Blend - B
    Thanks for replying. I made a small encode of a clip that described what you wanted out of the sample. How might I go about doing that? Avisynth? https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Cf5OJMM5FoJci6X5OTZN1d3xJh3AXReC/view?usp=sharing
    Quote Quote  
  4. Here's theory. A source frame from that video:

[Attachment 74119 - Click to enlarge]

Subtracting some of the previous frame eliminates a lot of the ghosting (but creates negative ghosting in some other frames):

[Attachment 74120 - Click to enlarge]

Following that with a strong temporal filter removes more of the ghosting (and some small details, and may cause some ghosting of its own):

[Attachment 74121 - Click to enlarge]

Code:
    LSmashVideoSource("CLIP.mp4") 
    ColorYUV(off_y=-11)
    Overlay(last, Loop(2,0,0).Blur(1.0), mode="subtract", opacity=0.07).ColorYUV(gain_y=10, cont_u=11, cont_v=10)
    ColorYUV(off_y=11)
    SMDegrain(thsad=500, thsadc=500, tr=2, PreFilter=1)
    Unfortunately the blending in your source is not consistent. Some frames are blended and some not. And there are (at least) two different types of blending (the full frame blend in those sample frame, plus some partial frame blending in other frames). It's going to be very hard to remove without causing worse problems. I would look (or wait) for a cleaner source.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks again. Should I try to implement this with Avisynth and AvsPmod?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by MTRX View Post
    Thanks again. Should I try to implement this with Avisynth and AvsPmod?
    No. It works for some frames but it ruins others. You would have to use different settings for different frames. And to automate it you would have to work out some method of determining which is appropriate at each frame.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Classic Japanese blendy telecine.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Ripped my DVD, same issues.
    Quote Quote