VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Let's say that at the time of VHS cameras or Super VHS camcorders... If a standard VHS camcorder was connected directly to a VCR, using composite or S-video cables and the video signal was recorded directly on a common VCR and on a common Vhs tape, (at SP quality).

Whether this camcorder has an S-video output or not and recording via composite or S-video cables, directly onto this common VCR (which probably didn't have an S-video input).

So, the logic is that the quality of the recording would be several percent lower compared to the tape recorded inside the camera itself, right??

Ok... But now, Let's say that this VHS camera, like, for exemple the one in the photo... If it were connected directly to a professional VCR, one of the best, maybe one of those newer, more professional models, maybe a D-Vhs or higher.

The question... Would the recording quality on the tape be better recorded directly inside the camera or on one of those great VCRs?

Ps. My natural language is Portuguese, so I hope my translation make sense.

[Attachment 74011 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by Litaiff; 24th Sep 2023 at 03:14.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    The camera section on these camcorders usually was better than the VHS format could store. So, if you use it as a camera, feeding the video through svideo or even composite into an external recorder, you'll get better quality than what would be recorded internally on tape.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I think his question is which is better, using the internal camcorder tape deck for recording vs an external VCR for recording on tape connected to a live feed from the camera, In both cases a recording on tape is being produced so the tape format is not the issue here.

To answer the OP. It really depends on the processing used by both the camcorder and the VCR, Composite is out of the question, Camcorders don't combine the signal being sent from the imaging sensor stage to the video recording stage onto tape, Using S-Video may produce a near identical result, However at this age most camcorders processing circuits are failing, It is better to use a high end VCR for recording if the analog video look is the goal here. You can also use the latest Hi8 camcorders to have that analog looking video frame.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    I think his question is which is better, using the internal camcorder tape deck for recording vs an external VCR for recording on tape connected to a live feed from the camera, In both cases a recording on tape is being produced so the tape format is not the issue here.

Yes. You got it.

To answer the OP. It really depends on the processing used by both the camcorder and the VCR, Composite is out of the question, Camcorders don't combine the signal being sent from the imaging sensor stage to the video recording stage onto tape, Using S-Video may produce a near identical result, However at this age most camcorders processing circuits are failing, It is better to use a high end VCR for recording if the analog video look is the goal here. You can also use the latest Hi8 camcorders to have that analog looking video frame.

I'm not intending to do that, I only imagined the process after seeing a tape that was recorded like that, but was on EP.

But let's say that this camera in the photo I posted, in a live broadcast in 1990, using a 1990 VCR model connected via s-video and recording the signal in SP directly from this camera (I don't know if there was a VCR with an s-video input at that time). Here, i guess the quality of recording the tape inside the camera will be higher, better. Using composite video to record on the VCR then, it would be even worse. That's no doutes here... Camcorder wins.

But then in 2010 the same process, the same camcorder, but using a good VCR, like a D-vhs, the quality of the video recorded on the tape would it still be better using the tape inside the camera or not ????
    Last edited by Litaiff; 24th Sep 2023 at 12:55.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    No, it will not, a D-VHS recorder records VHS the same way a VHS recorder records VHS. Unless you mean recording into D-VHS format then maybe. Keep in mind studios didn't use S-Video to link their cameras to the recorders, They used a form of high quality component (separating the 3 colors) cabling with better shielding and gauge thickness, Those are way better than a consumer S-Video transmission. That's why studio shots in TV programs back in the day looked better than shots that used portable cameras such as news gathering.

What's the point of your endless hypothetical threads?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Op: What is your goal in this discussion?
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    For shits and giggles, I don't see any other reason.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    For shits and giggles, I don't see any other reason.

As I said, they brought here a VHS tape that was recorded like this, it was on EP, almost 4 hours of video, a large camera connected directly to a VCR, one tape from 1999.

So, I was curious about the process involved.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    Maybe the camcorder could not record in EP mode or did not accept full-size tapes?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Bwaak View Post
    Maybe the camcorder could not record in EP mode or did not accept full-size tapes?

It was a large standard VHS camera, as far as I know, these cameras only recorded 120 minutes in SP.
    Quote Quote