VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    We have a new city train that travels underground part of the way and on the ground other parts. When it travels underground, the noise sound it makes is simply unbearble for my ears because it travels at high speed. On top of that the loudspeaker announcing the station name is at high volume and in three languages for every station (Hebrew, English and Arabic). I have headphones for noise protection that I can probably use, but the holding part is too springy and when I put it over my head it gives me a headache.
    So I am thinking of buying a cheap headphones and hope they are more comfortable to my head when I use it. I don't want to hear music just use it for noise protection. Can anyone suggest a comfortable headphones that is not too tight? As I said sound quality is not important only the comfort is essential. My budget is about $20. Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Good full size headphones are over $100, The ones with noise cancelling are even more expensive, For $20 you are looking at a fake Chinese knock off or a used one from the thrift store or eBay.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Good full size headphones are over $100, The ones with noise cancelling are even more expensive, For $20 you are looking at a fake Chinese knock off or a used one from the thrift store or eBay.
    I don't think so. Do you think this Philips or Panasonic headphones are fake?
    I would buy them but Im not sure how comfortable they are and as I said I don't want headphones to listen to music.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075LT8YLR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1
    https://www.amazon.com/Headphones-Podcasts-Monitoring-Recording-Computer/dp/B085899TQ9...zcF9hdGY&psc=1
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What I really need is Ear Muffs for noise protection, but I had bad experience with one that I bought from Amazon 2 years ago and I am thinking that earphones for listening to music might have a better design for the holding mechanism. I lost my hearing for 10 days two years ago as a result of (possibly) an ambulance siren switching on just as I walked past it or it could have been because of a cold, or maybe both. But I am trying to protect my hearing eversince and this train runs fast and every 6 minutes so I need to use it regularly.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    I don't think so. Do you think this Philips or Panasonic headphones are fake?...
    They may not be fake but they're cheap and Chinese, those brand names don't mean anything like they once did.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Most likely fake, Amazon and eBay don't enforce trade mark laws, when someone open an account it's in the user agreement that the seller is held accountable for selling counterfeit merchandise, They take down listings if reported but they don't filter out their listings, there are so many of those sellers and they disappear quickly and change the names of their accounts, it's really hard for a legit manufacturer to go after them. A second distant that they are brand name, but at $16 there is really no margin for profit for the company, not to mention they are hurting their brand selling low quality gear.
    Last edited by dellsam34; 19th Sep 2023 at 15:59. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Funny how this has turned out to be a discussion about fake headphones just because I mentioned my budget of $20.
    Alright I have unlimited budget, can anyone please tell me if your headphones are comfotable while putting it on your head and the model.
    Thank you for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    We never said you can't buy a headphone for $20, we said you will run into a fake or a crappy one, that's all.
    What are you looking for wired or wireless? I personally bought this wired one two years ago to setup my video capturing gear, I occasionally listen to YT music videos with it, but If I go back I would never buy a coiled cord one, too damn heavy. If you go with a wired one buy a straight wire not the coiled.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    We never said you can't buy a headphone for $20, we said you will run into a fake or a crappy one, that's all.
    What are you looking for wired or wireless? I personally bought this wired one two years ago to setup my video capturing gear, I occasionally listen to YT music videos with it, but If I go back I would never buy a coiled cord one, too damn heavy. If you go with a wired one buy a straight wire not the coiled.
    I appreciate the feedback, really.
    As I mentioned twice I am not looking for headphones to listen to music so it dosen't matter to me what type it is. I just need to use it as comfortable as possible for ear noise protection because the one I have is not comfortable when I put it on.
    Anyway I have decided to take it to pieces and modify it with elastic bands instead of the beastly metal that connects the ear muffs.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ear Noise Protection.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	73929  

Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have modified my noise protection earmuffs. Used the elastic bands from a face mask and attached them to the earmuffs. Now it feels a lot more comfortable over my head.
    I will continue to look for a decent comfortable earphones in the future.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Dismantled Ear Muffs.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	73931  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mask.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	73932  

Name:	Mask Elastic Bands.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	73933  

Name:	Ear Muffs and Elastic Bands.JPG
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	73934  

Name:	Modified Ear Muffs.JPG
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	73935  

Quote Quote  
  11. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Oh, so you're looking for earmuffs, I though you were looking for audio headphones, Active noise cancelling earmuffs are the best, they sense the noise and reverse the phase resulting in almost total quietness.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, so you're looking for earmuffs, I though you were looking for audio headphones, Active noise cancelling earmuffs are the best, they sense the noise and reverse the phase resulting in almost total quietness.
    I clarified what I really need in post #4.
    The problem with all these gadgets is how they connect the earmuffs. They are made of strong springy metal and they press hard on the head so that external sound doesn't enter the ears. Audio Headphones might have a better design this is why I posted in this section.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Just go to any gun store and buy their ear muffs. I use those and they sure work as they are made to muffle gun shots.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote