VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been using PotPlayer for a while now. The other day I was mucking about trying to set up LAV filters after going down a rabbit hole chasing auto audio track selection. I ended up borking things pretty badly, so I decided to just do a clean install. After installing the version downloaded from what I believe to be the official site, I'm getting worrisome behavior. Specifically, anytime I select certain embedded subtitle tracks I get a pop-up login screen for Kakao. I don't use KaTalk, nor do I have anything from Kakao installed (that I can find traces of anyway).

I've reinstalled and it still happens. It's weird though. It seems to only happen when selecting specific embedded subtitle tracks (Latin American Spanish) on specific files. These same files opened in KMPlayer do NOT trigger the popup when selecting the same subtitle track, however.

I've attached a video of the popup. I was advised on Reddit that this was an appropriate forum to post this in.

Thanks

[Attachment 73823 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by piratezombiebazooka; 15th Sep 2023 at 14:06.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just check the company that owns Potplayer.

That will explain the popup - I do not use this. I prefer vlc myself

Not sure what you mean by 'official site' since the player can be installed direct from this site.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Just check the company that owns Potplayer.

That will explain the popup
    I understand that they are owned by the same company. That does not explain the login prompt or why it only occurs when selecting a specific subtitle track. Also why it didn't occur ever with my previous installation.

By official site I meant Daum.potplayer.com.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No idea.

But that is NOT the official site although it claims to only have official versions.

The official site is potplayer.daum.net
    Quote Quote  
  5. [QUOTE=piratezombiebazooka;2705913]
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    By official site I meant Daum.potplayer.com.
    Connection is not secure.
    The domain Potplayer.com may be for sale. Click here to inquire about this domain.
    Anyway, I think that other version could be not adware, just it could be different, for Korean users.

Uninstall that version, remove all registry entries for potplayer, install the version form official site, or version from this site - standard or portable:

https://www.videohelp.com/software/PotPlayer
    Quote Quote