VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I have old V8 tapes captured with Sony Video Camera Recorder, model CCD-F380E, PAL system.

Now the Video Camera Recorder is broken down. I need to convert the old V8 tapes to digial, mp4 format, on computer. Please advise what device, availabe on market, I have to look for?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  2. Firstly, you have to find a decent player for the PAL Video8 tapes. This can be a V8/Hi8 camcorder or a dedicated V8/Hi8 desktop player/recorder.
    https://vcrshop.com/category/vcr/videorecorders/video8/
    Once you can play the tapes, see the many posts in the Capturing section of this forum about how to "digitize".

If you can't find a device which can play the tapes, ask for the service at a reputed shop.
    Last edited by Sharc; 15th Sep 2023 at 04:25. Reason: Link added
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Firstly, you have to find a decent player for the PAL Video8 tapes. This can be a V8/Hi8 camcorder or a dedicated V8/Hi8 desktop player/recorder.
    https://vcrshop.com/category/vcr/videorecorders/video8/
    Once you can play the tapes, see the many posts in the Capturing section of this forum about how to "digitize".

If you can't find a device which can play the tapes, ask for the service at a reputed shop.
    Hi,

Thanks for your advice and link.

It is really a problem for me to find a good second hand Video Camera Recorder here, working on PAL system with 200V battery charge.

I have no problem converting digital video to mp4 format on PC. I know the technowlogy in Open Source and I have done it before.

Would following device carrying with V8 cassette player ?
    https://www.clearclick.com/products/video2digital-converter?variant=18108141699

I have used the service of shop riping V8 tape to DVD but the quality is poor. I'm prepared to do it myself.

What I need is a device playing V8 tape

Regards
    Last edited by satimis; 15th Sep 2023 at 05:22.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ClearClick earned the nickname ClickCrap.
    Don't get that overpriced POS.

What OS can you use to capture? Noting that WinXP/7 best, Win10/11 worst. Mac/Linux have nothing.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    What I need is a device playing V8 tape.
    Correct. Until you have it, take the time to familiarize yourself with the topic of "lossless capturing".
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    What I need is a device playing V8 tape.
    ...... take the time to familiarize yourself with the topic of "lossless capturing".
    Thanks.

Yes. There are several ways to achieve "lossless capturing"

OBS Lossless Captures
    https://www.retrorgb.com/obslossless.html

Lossless Capture with FFmpeg
    https://video.stackexchange.com/questions/25034/lossless-capture-with-ffmpeg

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Forget a V8 camcorder. What you need is a Digital 8 camcorder that will play V8 tapes. Most do, but there are some that don't (the "some" only play Digital 8 tapes). Once you've spotted a camcorder, check it's manual for compatibility with V8 tapes (manualslib.com is good for manuals) or check with us. A camcorder with a built-in TBC is preferable.

Win 10 and 11 are good for lossless capture using something like the IOData GV-USB2 digitiser.

I suggest lossless capture with AmarecTV. Simple to set up and reliable. You'll then end up with a lossless file in HUFFYUV, Lagarith or similar codec eg UTVideo which you can work on to improve, if needed, deinterlace, and then export that to MP4.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Forget a V8 camcorder. What you need is a Digital 8 camcorder that will play V8 tapes. Most do, but there are some that don't (the "some" only play Digital 8 tapes). Once you've spotted a camcorder, check it's manual for compatibility with V8 tapes (manualslib.com is good for manuals) or check with us. A camcorder with a built-in TBC is preferable.
    Thanks.

I'm now waiting for ebay to reply my questions;
    1) Is the Sony Camcorder mentioned on;
    Sony Camcorder for 8mm Digital8 MiniDV Hi8 Tape Transfer to Computer USB and DVD
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/263915708465

works on PAL system, suitable for Hong Kong?

2) Is the Sony Camcorder working? I'm not shopping for parts.
    3) Are the battery working?
    4) The voltage of battery charger is 200V, suitable for Hong Kong?
    5) Connect to PC via USB port? This is important as I'm going to convert the video to digital, mp4 format.

Win 10 and 11 are good for lossless capture using something like the IOData GV-USB2 digitiser.

I suggest lossless capture with AmarecTV. Simple to set up and reliable. You'll then end up with a lossless file in HUFFYUV, Lagarith or similar codec eg UTVideo which you can work on to improve, if needed, deinterlace, and then export that to MP4.
    Thanks for your advice.

I have Win10 and Win11 here running as VM on VirtualBox.

I work on both Windows and Linux system. I started computing on Windows -> BSD -> Unix -> Linux (now)
    At the begining I built my own Linux system , Linux from Scratch

Now the most important thing is to get a V8 tape player.

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  9. When you have a Digital8 camcorder which can play V8 you may use it for digitizing the video using the camcorder's internal DV codec. As you are in PAL land the quality of DV is quite good. It may be easier for you than following the analog lossless capture route. Transfer the DV file via firewire to your PC (assuming it has a firewire port).
    You find a lot of info in the Capture section of this forum.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When you have a Digital8 camcorder which can play V8 you may use it for digitizing the video using the camcorder's internal DV codec. As you are in PAL land the quality of DV is quite good. It may be easier for you than following the analog lossless capture route. Transfer the DV file via firewire to your PC (assuming it has a firewire port).
    You find a lot of info in the Capture section of this forum.
    Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

I shoot video on Sony V8 Handycam, model CCD-F380E and then converted them to VHS with background music and subtile added, long before the birth of digital. Now both my V8 Handycam and VHS tape player are broken, leaving me no device to play the tapes.

Following video was converted by me from VHS tape to digital and upload to YouTube;
    niagara falls 1990
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErZvhUSfXr0
    (Niagara Falls captured on ground and on helicopter)

Following video was riped by a profession shop from VHS to DVD. I cut a section and upload it to YouTube
    may home 1b
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Doa3VgH_dJE
    (my sister's home at Stockton, California)

Up to now I haven't received the reply, via ebay, from the seller of the second-hand Sony camcoder mentioned on my posting #8 above

I only received the reply from the seller, 2 days ago, mentioning;
    "Yes, I have PAL camcorders to playback V8 tapes"

no more.

I have to search on Internet again.

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Following video was converted by me from VHS tape to digital and upload to YouTube;
    niagara falls 1990
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErZvhUSfXr0
    (Niagara Falls captured on ground and on helicopter)

Following video was riped by a profession shop from VHS to DVD. I cut a section and upload it to YouTube
    may home 1b
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Doa3VgH_dJE
    (my sister's home at Stockton, California)
    Yes I remember the discussions in 2021 ..... 2022 ......
    Last edited by Sharc; 15th Sep 2023 at 17:25.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Satimis,
    Given that your system is a VM, I'll have to withdraw my recommendation of the GV-USB2 and AmarecTV. I have no experience with VMs/Virtual Box and cannot guarantee that my suggestions would work.

Regarding your questions to the Ebay seller:

Aftermarket batteries are readily available; if you intend leaving the camcorder on for any length of time, the Sony powerbricks will run the camcorder without the battery.

All my Sony chargers/powerbricks accept 100-240 volts:
    [Attachment 73835 - Click to enlarge]

5) Connect to PC via USB port? This is important as I'm going to convert the video to digital, mp4 format.
    I know of no V8/Hi8/Digital8 camcorders that transfer video over USB. The only electronic transfer from those is via firewire using a Digital 8 camcorder, as mentioned by Sharc.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

Just found following second-hand V8 Sony Camcorder on Internet

SONY HANDYCAM CCD-TRV238E PAL CAMCORDER HI8 / 8MM VIDEO-8 CAMERA
    https://www.ebay.com.hk/itm/364481958365?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11051.m43.l1123&mkcid=...&segname=11051

Can it be connected directly to the USB port of Windows 10 or Windows 11 pc to transfer video from V8 tape to PC?

Please advise. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Satimis,
    Given that your system is a VM, I'll have to withdraw my recommendation of the GV-USB2 and AmarecTV. I have no experience with VMs/Virtual Box and cannot guarantee that my suggestions would work.

Regarding your questions to the Ebay seller:

Aftermarket batteries are readily available; if you intend leaving the camcorder on for any length of time, the Sony powerbricks will run the camcorder without the battery.

All my Sony chargers/powerbricks accept 100-240 volts:
    [Attachment 73835 - Click to enlarge]

I know of no V8/Hi8/Digital8 camcorders that transfer video over USB. The only electronic transfer from those is via firewire using a Digital 8 camcorder, as mentioned by Sharc.
    Lot of thanks for your advice.

I just found another 2nd hand SONY HANDYCAM CCD-TRV238E PAL CAMCORDER HI8 / 8MM VIDEO-8 CAMERA on Internet. Please refer to my above posting #13. According to the seller's reply that it is a PAL Camcorder and 100% working. I have just sent another reply to the seller to clarify video transfer trom it to Windows 10/11 PC. I'm now waiting the seller's reply.

According to my recollection I could tranfer anlogue video from Sony Camcorder to Linux PC via USB port. The package used was VLC. I did it long time ago. I would take care of the rest converting analogue to digital.
    Last edited by satimis; 15th Sep 2023 at 22:02.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That camcorder appears to not have a USB port:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/camcorders-tape-camcorders/ccd-trv238e/specifications

A feature that is desirable is an S-Video Out port (the TRV238E doesn't have one). This will yield better quality video if using the lossless capturing process.

According to my recollection I could tranfer anlogue video from Sony Camcorder to Linux PC via USB port. The package used was VLC. I did it long time ago.
    Re USB transfer, I was talking only about Windows. Linux may allow it, provided the camcorder has a USB port. I doubt it though.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That camcorder appears to not have a USB port:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/camcorders-tape-camcorders/ccd-trv238e/specifications

A feature that is desirable is an S-Video Out port (the TRV238E doesn't have one). This will yield better quality video if using the lossless capturing process.

According to my recollection I could tranfer anlogue video from Sony Camcorder to Linux PC via USB port. The package used was VLC. I did it long time ago.
    Re USB transfer, I was talking only about Windows. Linux may allow it, provided the camcorder has a USB port. I doubt it though.
    Hi,

Just received seller's reply saying that I need following cable;
    USB 2.0 Audio Video VHS to DVD VCR PC HDD Converter Adapter Digital Capture Card
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/114656218892

It is not included but the seller could send it together with the Sony Camcorder, FREE of charge.

The only point which I have to consider is the Sony Camcorder non-returnable. I have to taking a chance.

I work on both Windows and Linux systems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That eBay seller is an idiot.

That is a cheap junk Easycap card, which earned the nickname Easycrap.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    USB 2.0 Audio Video VHS to DVD VCR PC HDD Converter Adapter Digital Capture Card
    I wouldn't pay money for it. The cheap digitisers don't have a good reputation for quality or drivers. But, since it's free...

Your call!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't pay money for it. The cheap digitisers don't have a good reputation for quality or drivers. But, since it's free...

Your call!
    What I need is a device for "copy/transfer" seamlessly the video on Sony V8 tapes to computer (Windows or Linux) . I'll take care the rest, including converting analogue video to digital video in .mp4 format. I have done it many times in the past converting VHS video to digital in .mp4 format video.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What I need is a device for "copy/transfer" seamlessly the video on Sony V8 tapes to computer (Windows or Linux) .
    We understand that. We're just saying that that USB digitiser (or "copy/transfer seamlessly" device in your words) is probably not very good quality.

I have done it many times in the past converting VHS video to digital in .mp4 format video.
    Understood, but you almost certainly needed a separate device, between the VCR and your computer, to digitise your video. It may have been an internal card.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What I need is a device for "copy/transfer" seamlessly the video on Sony V8 tapes to computer (Windows or Linux) .
    We understand that. We're just saying that that USB digitiser (or "copy/transfer seamlessly" device in your words) is probably not very good quality.

I have done it many times in the past converting VHS video to digital in .mp4 format video.
    Understood, but you almost certainly needed a separate device, between the VCR and your computer, to digitise your video. It may have been an internal card.
    Thanks for your advice.

In past I just did it direct on Linux computer, without a separate device between VCR and computer.

After converting the analogue video to digital video still there are a lot of work for me to do, including upgrade the video resolution.

There are lot of suggesions on Internet

Example:
    Resize/Scale/Change Resolution of a Video using FFmpeg Easily
    https://ottverse.com/change-resolution-resize-scale-video-using-ffmpeg/

How to Choose YouTube Video Quality or Resolution in VLC
    https://www.vlchelp.com/how-to-choose-youtube-video-quality/#:~:text=Go%20to%20Tool%20...o%20resolution.

Top 7 Video Resolution Converter: How to Change Video Resolution Online and Free
    https://videoconverter.wondershare.com/video-converters/top-6-video-resolution-convert...RoCv_oQAvD_BwE

Personally I prefer command lines operation on computer Terminal, rather than clicking around on screen with mouse pointer.

Can upgrade low resolution video to 4K
    How to Upscale 1080p to 4K in Simple Four Steps
    https://www.videoproc.com/edit-4k-video/how-to-upscale-1080p-to-4k.htm

This is a very interesting topic

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Following is a very interesting link;

Digitize analog cassettes (VHS or 8mm) with Linux
    https://www.arsouyes.org/blog/2021/2021-05-17_Numerisation_VHS/index.en.html

Now what I need is a device playing V8 tape
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In past I just did it direct on Linux computer, without a separate device between VCR and computer.
    From the article you linked to above, the "acquisition key" (or digitiser):

[Attachment 73838 - Click to enlarge]

You need a camcorder and a digitiser.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From the article you linked to above, the "acquisition key" (or digitiser):

[Attachment 73838 - Click to enlarge]

You need a camcorder and a digitiser.
    Thanks

That is included and attached to the USB cable. They are provided by the seller, free of charge.

Maybe I have one set on shelves. According to my recollection, in the past to copy analogue video from VHS tape to Linux computer I just connected the VHS tape player direct to Linux computer without connecting a device in between. It was long time ago.

It is quite interesting in video editing such as;
    - convert speech languages - exmaple: converting English to Chinese/French/Italian etc.
    (speech to words and then words to speech (male or female voice)
    - convert speech to words and add them on video as word narration
    - add background music
    - merging video, displaying side by side
    etc.

I have done alll of them in the past

Regards

-
    Last edited by satimis; 16th Sep 2023 at 02:31.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Maybe look for a SONY TRV120/320 (PAL version). According to the manual it has Composite-, S-video and Firewire outputs and should play V8 cassettes. Manual attached.
    (You may even use it as a digitizer using its internal DV codec).

(P.S. I don't have this model, so don't quote me on that )

P.P.S: The 238E has Composite and Firewire outputs only from what I can see from its manual.
    Image Attached Thumbnails SONY DCR-TRV120 TRV320 english.pdf  

Last edited by Sharc; 16th Sep 2023 at 03:15.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Maybe look for a SONY TRV120/320 (PAL version). According to the manual it has Composite-, S-video and Firewire outputs and should play V8 cassettes.
    (You may even use it as a digitizer using its internal DV codec).

(P.S. I don't have this model, so don't quote me on that )

P.P.S: The 238E has Composite and Firewire outputs only from what I can see from its manual.
    Thanks for your advice.

I found it, also on eBay
    Sony DCR-TRV120E Digital-8, Hi-8 Camcorder
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/314485614971?epid=100040598&hash=item4938cda97b:g:~sgAAOSweBd...3ABFBMhvi70NNi

The selling price is more than double of "SONY HANDYCAM CCD-TRV238E PAL CAMCORDER HI8 / 8MM VIDEO-8 CAMERA" which I'm now contacting its seller.

The Camcorder is still non-returnable !!!
    I have to take chance !!!

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  27. This?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/126061139593?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%...86.c101224.m-1

30 days returns .....

Edit: Sorry, forget it. It's for NTSC.
    Last edited by Sharc; 16th Sep 2023 at 03:39.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks

But this is NOT PAL Camcorder

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I found following Sony Camcorder on eBay;

Sony CCD-TRV11E PAL Video8 Camcorder Handycam VCR 8mm Watch Play Video Transfer
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/125845616610?hash=item1d4cfbb7e2:g:vIQAAOSwcb5kH-yf&amdata=en...Bk9SR4L8zN7TYg

Manual
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1002030/Sony-Ccd-Trv11.html#manual

The seller accepts "Return"

Would it be suitable for my use? Please advise. Thanks

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  30. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Ideally as have been already said, you need a Hi-8 camcorder or Digital8 with analog playback, it is best if equipped with TBC/DNR and S-Video out, You need a good quality capture device (a.k.a digitizer) not any chinese crap.
    Quote Quote