VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I recently watched a recap of today's Apple event and noticed that the new iPhone features a USB-C port. This reminded me of a video I came across some time ago titled "How to Connect FireWire Devices to New Macs with Thunderbolt 3/USB-C." In that video, the presenter demonstrates how you can connect an older FireWire-equipped camera to a newer Mac using a combination of adapters, dongles, and cables. This got me thinking: could you now use an iPhone 15, along with these various accessories, to connect a Firewire camcorder? If such a connection were possible, you could potentially use an app to record video from the Firewire camcorder through the iPhone's USB-C port.

As far as I understand it, standard USB-C isn't typically used for transmitting video signals. However, since this is Apple, and they refer to their Thunderbolt 3 (which is indeed capable of carrying video signals) as USB-C, I'm hopeful that this USB-C port on the iPhone 15 can transmit video rather than just treating it as data. This optimism is bolstered by the fact that during the presentation, Apple specifically mentioned that the port supports Charging, Data, Audio, and Video. It wouldn't make sense for them to mention video if it were limited to transmitting video as data, right?

I've also come across apps that can record video from USB cameras connected to the USB-C ports on phones. Does this imply that one could now use an iPhone 15 as a mobile recording device for camcorders?

Thanks for any insights you can provide.

P.S. Asked this in the MAC section but nothing is happening...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I doubt it could work. The iPhone 15 has an ordinary USB C port, not a Thunderbolt 3 port. Also, iPhones use a different operating (iOS) system than Macs (macOS) and are unlikely to include the necessary drivers. Plus, there is the problem of finding FireWire capture software capable of running under iOS.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I doubt it could work. The iPhone 15 has an ordinary USB C port, not a Thunderbolt 3 port. Also, iPhones use a different operating (iOS) system than Macs (macOS) and are unlikely to include the necessary drivers. Plus, there is the problem of finding FireWire capture software capable of running under iOS.
    I read that the "regular" iPhone 15 uses "regular" USB-C port and that the iPhone 15 Pro uses something more "advanced", thus me thinking it could transfer video signals. Like I said in my post, there are apps that allow you to record from a usb webcam connected to the phone. I am sure there is an app like that for iOS, so no need to use a macOS app.

thanks.

EDIT: In the presentation they made it sound like a "new thing" or "big deal" that you can now record ProRes directly to a connected hard drive. Maybe that is nothing special because you are just transferring data or does this mean in fact that you are transferring a video signal? Now as I am writing this, I realize that this cannot be a video signal because then the external drive would be able to somehow convert the signal. Which is not going to happen. Right.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I realize that this cannot be a video signal because then the external drive would be able to somehow convert the signal. Which is not going to happen.
    Quite conceivable that the conversion to data occurs in the phone.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/23/09/12/iphone-15-pro-gets-direct-record-to-externa...ghtning-speeds
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by plehoediv View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I read that the "regular" iPhone 15 uses "regular" USB-C port and that the iPhone 15 Pro uses something more "advanced", thus me thinking it could transfer video signals. Like I said in my post, there are apps that allow you to record from a usb webcam connected to the phone. I am sure there is an app like that for iOS, so no need to use a macOS app.

thanks.

EDIT: In the presentation they made it sound like a "new thing" or "big deal" that you can now record ProRes directly to a connected hard drive. Maybe that is nothing special because you are just transferring data or does this mean in fact that you are transferring a video signal? Now as I am writing this, I realize that this cannot be a video signal because then the external drive would be able to somehow convert the signal. Which is not going to happen. Right.
    Sorry, but the USB C port on the iPhone 15 Pro is just a USB 3 port, which you can verify for yourself using a search engine.

DV cameras send a video stream encoded using the DV codec over FireWire and there is 2 way communication between the capture software and the camera using communication protocols the DV camera understands. USB webcams use different codecs and communication protocols than DV cameras, so you had better find that iPhone DV capture app, not just assume that one exists.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    USB 3 only on the pro version, The basic has data rates of USB 2 on the USB C port, But I don't see a good reason to use the phone to capture anyway?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I realize that this cannot be a video signal because then the external drive would be able to somehow convert the signal. Which is not going to happen.
    Quite conceivable that the conversion to data occurs in the phone.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/23/09/12/iphone-15-pro-gets-direct-record-to-externa...ghtning-speeds
    Thats what I said. I think.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Sorry, but the USB C port on the iPhone 15 Pro is just a USB 3 port, which you can verify for yourself using a search engine.
    I don't need to verify it, I believe you. It was just that in the presentation they specifically said that it can transfer data, audio and video. Why mention video if you mention data? That is why I thought it was a video signal. Anyhow.

DV cameras send a video stream encoded using the DV codec over FireWire and there is 2 way communication between the capture software and the camera using communication protocols the DV camera understands. USB webcams use different codecs and communication protocols than DV cameras,
    Copy that.

so you had better find that iPhone DV capture app, not just assume that one exists.
    I agree.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    USB 3 only on the pro version, The basic has data rates of USB 2 on the USB C port,
    Copy that. thanks.

But I don't see a good reason to use the phone to capture anyway?
    So, in order to use some of my Camcorders without tape, I don't have to buy a Focus Enhancement FS-100 or Sony HVR-MRC1, which are over 15 years old. I understand that at first it makes no sense wanting to spend 1199 Euros instead of 200 - 350 bucks, but you can do so much more with an iPhone, including using it as monitor when recording. So you buy one when they are 6-month-old, pay less then 1199, use it and then when you sell it again, probably get 50% back. So at the end, you spend a bit more, but you have something smaller, better and a monitor, compared to the other devices.

But it looks like it won't work anyway.

Thanks.
    Last edited by plehoediv; 13th Sep 2023 at 15:16.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It was just that in the presentation they specifically said that it can transfer data, audio and video. Why mention video if you mention data? That is why I thought it was a video signal.
    If the resolution is low enough or the compression provided by the codec used is efficient enough, USB 2.0 can indeed transmit a video stream with audio. As proof I offer the many USB capture devices that have been sold over the years.

There were even a few old capture devices (Pinnacle Studio MovieBox Plus 500 USB, 700 USB, 510 USB and 710 USB) that accepted a DV video stream from a DV camera and output a DV video stream via USB to a Windows PC. They used specialized drivers and hardware to bridge the differences between a DV camera's FireWire connection and USB. Nothing like them will ever be made again because DV and FireWire have long been superceded by other technologies.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Sep 2023 at 20:28.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vidoehelp
    Thats what I said. I think.
    You said it wasn't going to happen. That link (and the announcement) is pretty clear, it is going to happen.

Discussion of DV is not relevant here, IMO. It's pretty obvious that the Pro will dump video straight onto a external hard drive. How it does it, who knows, but I guarantee it won't be via DV.

Originally Posted by Dellsam
    But I don't see a good reason to use the phone to capture anyway?
    Read that article: it's so you can have unlimited video storage. You will not be limited by the physical storage on the phone, because video can be saved directly onto an external drive.

I have also read that iphones can be used to capture cine, with some feature preventing the frame out-of-sync issue. Recording straight to an external drive would be helpful in that scenario.
    Last edited by Alwyn; 13th Sep 2023 at 22:16.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    It was just that in the presentation they specifically said that it can transfer data, audio and video. Why mention video if you mention data? That is why I thought it was a video signal.
    If the resolution is low enough or the compression provided by the codec used is efficient enough, USB 2.0 can indeed transmit a video stream with audio. As proof I offer the many USB capture devices that have been sold over the years.

There were even a few old capture devices (Pinnacle Studio MovieBox Plus 500 USB, 700 USB, 510 USB and 710 USB) that accepted a DV video stream from a DV camera and output a DV video stream via USB to a Windows PC. They used specialized drivers and hardware to bridge the differences between a DV camera's FireWire connection and USB. Nothing like them will ever be made again because DV and FireWire have long been superceded by other technologies.
    Ok, thanks for the info. Too bad though that some companies do not see the trend or feel like there are enough customers that would like to use older camcorders with DV out and start making a capture device with DV in.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There is a trend that they see. It is downward. DV is becoming less and less common, even among hobbyists, and has been (pun intended) for quite some time.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    There is a trend that they see. It is downward. DV is becoming less and less common, even among hobbyists, and has been (pun intended) for quite some time.

Scott
    Can't really argue with that. Part of the problem might be the workflow though. DV Tapes can't compete with an SD card. Neither can the camera, but some people like the old look. I mean, look at Polaroid cameras. So maybe if there were "better" solutions out there for going tapeless people would consider buying nice old cameras again!?

I never designed or developed anything complicated, not to mention anything electronic, but I always sit there and wonder how much work it would really be to include a FireWire/Thunderbolt 3 port into a DR video assist? I mean, they must have engineers working for them full time. If they just work on it for 30min a day, it should be fine after a few month. No?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I would say, NO, it would take much more effort than that.

Polaroid cameras are fun, and I'm glad that it is available to some, but I was never of the opinion that it was even up to regular 35mm film standards (density, sharpness, color purity), so to me it was always a toy/gimmick (fun & convenient though it was). Try to get reprints of those!

I am also of the opinion that DV cam sensors (which were at the time predominantly CCD) and other electronics have been far surpassed by modern cams and CMOS sensors. Even the downside of rolling shutter can be overcome with certain models, so I see no benefit to using an old SD cam when so many newer HD/UHD cams with solidstate memory storage can blow it out of the water, often for less cost.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    I would say, NO, it would take much more effort than that.

Polaroid cameras are fun, and I'm glad that it is available to some, but I was never of the opinion that it was even up to regular 35mm film standards (density, sharpness, color purity), so to me it was always a toy/gimmick (fun & convenient though it was). Try to get reprints of those!

I am also of the opinion that DV cam sensors (which were at the time predominantly CCD) and other electronics have been far surpassed by modern cams and CMOS sensors. Even the downside of rolling shutter can be overcome with certain models, so I see no benefit to using an old SD cam when so many newer HD/UHD cams with solidstate memory storage can blow it out of the water, often for less cost.

Scott
    Again, you are correct. Modern cameras are better and Polaroid way/is a gimmick. But that goes for many other products as well, like cars and watches. Some people like the latest and greatest and others like the nostalgia. I just wish I had the money do hire someone to build me a modern version of the Sony memory recorder. Always forget the darn name, ha ha.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote