VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the Pioneer DVR-7000.
    The manual claims that discs recorded in VR mode can be played on "some" set top DVD players.
    This is a rather new DVD standard that was just passed by the DVD forum last year.

I can record up to 6 hours on a DVD-RW in this mode (not on a DVD-R though). But I can't get them to be played on computer DVD-ROM drives.
    I've heard the file format is .VRO.

Since the drives don't recognize this format, Windows thinks the disc's are empty.

Anyone know of a DVD-ROM drive that can recognize VR mode discs?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Withdrawn
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thakns. I will check out those links.

However, as I understand it, if Windows Explorer can't see any files on the discs, then no other windows programs will see them either, no?

I assumed it was a problem with the DVDROM drive (i.e. hardware problem).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Swollen Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by leebo
    Thakns. I will check out those links.

However, as I understand it, if Windows Explorer can't see any files on the discs, then no other windows programs will see them either, no?

I assumed it was a problem with the DVDROM drive (i.e. hardware problem).
    My Panasonic DVD-RAM/-R drive comes with UDF 2 drivers.

My Panasonic RP91 DVD player plays these discs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Withdrawn
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As long as your DVD-ROM drive plays DVD-RW discs then you will have access to the VR recorded discs once the drivers are installed.
    Phillip, I appriciate your help, thanks.

I did as suggested and it worked on one computer (the one with the Pioneer A-03).
    But it didn't work on my other computer, which has a Pioneer DVD-ROM drive (1 year old). This drive DOES read DVD-RW.
    I checked and the VOB.de reader software is installed.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Withdrawn
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You also get another tab under the drives property giving file information and an option to turn off the VOB Reading drivers should you want to
    Well, the option for this is there.
    And both computers have the same DVD authoring and CD burning software, as well as the same OS (Win XP).
    Finalizing didn't help.

I'd like to fix this, but I am glad at least one computer can read them.

You said the latest version of WinDVD can play these discs.
    Will it play the playlist version (the edited version) or simply the whole disc?

I'm wondering what is the best way to edit a disc (using the 7000's editing features) and record the edited version so it will play on most DVD players.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Withdrawn
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks so much, Phillip.

Yes, as I understand it, the "edits" are simply a playlist. The video material is still there (though a complete title can be erased).

In the short term, I'd like to play the playlist version INTO the 7000 and end up with an edited DVD version.

This is a compromise however, because the original mpeg2 (from the satellite box) is converted into NTSC, passed into the 7000, converted back into mpeg2, then converted back into NTSC by the player (a computer with a DVD drive and TV output), and re-recorded back into mpeg2 by the Pioneer. When I watch that version, it is first converted back into NTSC for my television. Whew. I'm getting nauseous just thinking about it!
    Quote Quote