VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Thread
  1. Child of God
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Hello. Iím looking for a reliable, long-lasting all-region external Blu-ray drive for my MacBook. I have R1 and R2 DVDs I want to be able to play.

    Preferably the drive would also be able to read 4K Blu-rays. Ability to write discs is preferred but not essential.

    Recommendations appreciated!
    "They will walk after the LORD, He will roar like a lion; indeed He will roar and His sons will come trembling from the west." - Hosea 11:10
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member hech54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Yank in Europe
    Search PM
    I'm afraid it doesn't work that way.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Child of God
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I'm afraid it doesn't work that way.
    Iím sorry, but could you please explain? How doesnít it work?
    "They will walk after the LORD, He will roar like a lion; indeed He will roar and His sons will come trembling from the west." - Hosea 11:10
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    canada
    Search Comp PM
    It doesn't work cause it takes a lot of time to hack systems to get what you want and it's not worth the money to do that.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Israel
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jeikobu View Post
    Hello. Iím looking for a reliable, long-lasting all-region external Blu-ray drive for my MacBook. I have R1 and R2 DVDs I want to be able to play.

    Preferably the drive would also be able to read 4K Blu-rays. Ability to write discs is preferred but not essential.

    Recommendations appreciated!
    I would consider buying two external drives one for region 1 and another for region 2. It all depends on your budget and how important it is for you to be able play both regions.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You say you want to play DVDs... VLC Player ignores DVD region coding completely. Any DVD drive will work fine.
    Region free Blu ray is very difficult and usually not worth it as most Blu Rays play in most players. There are of course exceptions...
    Quote Quote  
  7. satan's little helper teamsatan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Search PM
    Using this one. ASUS BW-16D1HT V3.00S, had it for 2 years. Reads all DVD and BluRay regions. Also reads 4k. Burns DVD, BluRay and 4K. Also plays all regions on VLC without problems. Also use it to rip movies (DVD, BluRay & 4K) to my media player with either MakeMKV or DVD FabImage
    [Attachment 73625 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  8. Child of God
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dvd3500 View Post
    You say you want to play DVDs... VLC Player ignores DVD region coding completely. Any DVD drive will work fine.
    Region free Blu ray is very difficult and usually not worth it as most Blu Rays play in most players. There are of course exceptions...
    But VLC would still play a R2 DVD off an American Blu-Ray drive?
    "They will walk after the LORD, He will roar like a lion; indeed He will roar and His sons will come trembling from the west." - Hosea 11:10
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jeikobu View Post
    Originally Posted by dvd3500 View Post
    You say you want to play DVDs... VLC Player ignores DVD region coding completely. Any DVD drive will work fine.
    Region free Blu ray is very difficult and usually not worth it as most Blu Rays play in most players. There are of course exceptions...
    But VLC would still play a R2 DVD off an American Blu-Ray drive?
    Yes it does
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by teamsatan View Post
    Using this one. ASUS BW-16D1HT V3.00S, had it for 2 years. Reads all DVD and BluRay regions. Also reads 4k. Burns DVD, BluRay and 4K. Also plays all regions on VLC without problems. Also use it to rip movies (DVD, BluRay & 4K) to my media player with either MakeMKV or DVD FabImage
    [Attachment 73625 - Click to enlarge]
    So what do you use for Blu-ray playback?
    Or do you always rip?
    Quote Quote  
  11. satan's little helper teamsatan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dvd3500 View Post
    Originally Posted by teamsatan View Post
    Using this one. ASUS BW-16D1HT V3.00S, had it for 2 years. Reads all DVD and BluRay regions. Also reads 4k. Burns DVD, BluRay and 4K. Also plays all regions on VLC without problems. Also use it to rip movies (DVD, BluRay & 4K) to my media player with either MakeMKV or DVD FabImage
    [Attachment 73625 - Click to enlarge]
    So what do you use for Blu-ray playback?
    Or do you always rip?
    If I watch on the computer because my wife is watching something that doesn't interest me, I use VLC. Otherwise, I use it 90% to rip DVD, BluRay or 4K as back up to the media player. Regions don't matter, it swallows everything.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't personally tested it but Leawo Blu-ray player has a Mac version and is supposed to ignore region codes.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads

Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!