VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was using my Memorex DVD/VCR (6 Head) to playback my old VHS collection of shows I previously recorded (some on that machine, some on older VCRs), and discovered it constantly changes tape speed between SP and SLP. This makes it impossible to watch (lots of static), and hear (audio skips as speed endlessly changes). Store bought ones worked fine. Until I tried some store bought ones I got from my Step-Mom, and some of them did the same, while some of her TV Recorded ones played fine (other store bought played fine). The tapes look fine. I can't tell if my VCR's going, or the tapes are too old (most were form 80's -90's. Maybe one sometime between 2000-2007). I recorded a bit of it and uploaded to Youtube. For some reason, my phone refused to record sound. But you can see the problem I'm having.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNen81yKBrA

I sadly have no other VCR to use to test if it's my machine or tapes. We threw our old ones out when we moved because we had the combo player. Can anything be done? I tried adjusting tracking but nothing. Is this identifiable as tape vs player?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Possibly your capstan motor driver board is going bad, If so, possible causes can be bad caps, bad hall effect sensor, bad chip. This is not easy to diagnose or repair for an average person. Your best bet is get another VCR, these low budget VCR's are not that expensive, so not worth repairing anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could this also be caused by lower edge tape damage, and/or the control track head needs cleaning
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried my VCR cleaner, but nothing. Hoping I could avoid buying a "new" VCR< but oh well.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Open the tape flap and check for edge damage on the tape.
    Open the VCR and clean the stationary head near the capstan with Isopropyl alcohol and a Q-tip.
    See this image. The bottom arrow points to the control track head and the upper to the linear audio

Do not use Q-tip on the head drum
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	stationary_heads.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	73281  

Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes! Cleaning the stationary head worked. Tape splay normally again.
    Quote Quote