VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi first post. I have a hauppauge recorder on my PC. It's connected to a splitter, but it's an old one. Right now it works great capturing from our cable DVR. I tried connecting it to our Roku device, and record a stream program so I could play it at work on my laptop. It recorded to video perfectly, but no sound. Normally I use WinTV for the capture software. Like I said, it works great from the DVR, but not the Roku. I was hoping smarter people that I might know what I can try.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is the Roku set up to output digital stereo audio in LPCM format via HDMI? If not, try it.

If that doesn't work then maybe tell us which Hauppauge capture device you have so someone can find out what kinds of audio are compatible with your Hauppauge capture device.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi thanks for the answer. I'm using a Hauppauge 1512 HD-PVR 2.
    Right now my Roku Ultra device is connected via HDMI directly to our Roku TV. The TV uses a sound bar. The Roku device setting for the sound is just set at auto, detecting whatever the HDMI requires. It says, as it's connected to the TV, Dolby Audio - DD+ are available.
    What I did to test this was just swap the HDMI cable I had coming out of the DVR, with the HDMI coming out of the Roku device. The connection goes through an older version of a splitter, but the signal from the cable DVR works perfectly.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wxman View Post
    Hi thanks for the answer. I'm using a Hauppauge 1512 HD-PVR 2.
    Right now my Roku Ultra device is connected via HDMI directly to our Roku TV. The TV uses a sound bar. The Roku device setting for the sound is just set at auto, detecting whatever the HDMI requires. It says, as it's connected to the TV, Dolby Audio - DD+ are available.
    What I did to test this was just swap the HDMI cable I had coming out of the DVR, with the HDMI coming out of the Roku device. The connection goes through an older version of a splitter, but the signal from the cable DVR works perfectly.
    The HD-PVR 2 capture devices can only capture 5.1 channel AC3 audio, 2 channel AC3 audio, and LPCM stereo audio. Hauppauge Capture can be set up to capture the AC3 audio it accepts as-is. (Dolby Digital is another name for AC3.) As I recall, LPCM stereo audio will be re-encoded to 2-channel AAC. Cable boxes generally can be set up to supply either AC3 audio or LPCM stereo audio.

The Hauppauge HD-PVR 2 devices can't process any other kinds of audio, so if your Roku is sending DD+ (Dolby Digital Plus), your captures won't have any audio.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Aug 2023 at 13:07.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Okay kind of bad news then. Any idea if there are any capture devices that would work? This really isn't a big deal. It was just something I wanted to try because when I'm away I can't stream anything.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wxman View Post
    Okay kind of bad news then. Any idea if there are any capture devices that would work? This really isn't a big deal. It was just something I wanted to try because when I'm away I can't stream anything.
    I am not aware of any capture device that can do what you are asking for. Most HDMI capture devices can only capture LPCM stereo audio.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Okay thank you for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This post on the Roku forum might be of use: https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-setup/Roku-ultra-audio-settings/td-p/713106

You may have to manually set the audio output to match the capture device rather than letting the Roku detect what the TV supports.
    Quote Quote