VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there, I have an episode of a show that was cut in 23.976 and I'm wondering which might be the best way to apply 3:2 pulldown for broadcast/home video. Would I be better off just slapping the whole thing (as one video) into a 1080i/29.97 timeline and exporting it or using the original clips and basically copy and pasting the shots from the 23.976 timeline into a new one?

I notice that when I use it as one video, some of the cuts end up having a field showing one shot and one field showing another.(see interlacing example.jpg)*

If I use the shots directly on the timeline, I can avoid that, but does that mess up the cadence?

Thanks in advance for any help!

*(Note, the examples used are stock footage, I can't show the real thing I'm working on.)
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	interlacing example.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	73035  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Premiere Layout.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	73036  

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why change the frame rate?
    Recent TV's have no problems at all playing 23.976 directly - they deal with any necessary frame repetitions them themselves
    Quote Quote  
  3. It's a required deliverable for broadcast.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by g0ren View Post
    It's a required deliverable for broadcast.
    And what are the rest of the video deliverable requirements?

I think you just have to add it to a 29.97 project and allow Premiere to adjust the frame rate
    Quote Quote  
  5. If pulldown is added after the progressive edits are finished, the cadence will be perfect. Just nest it into another 1080i/29.97 sequence.

The problem occurs when you edit on a 1080i timeline and break up the cadence - instead of removing pulldown first and editing on a progressive timeline
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    If pulldown is added after the progressive edits are finished, the cadence will be perfect. Just nest it into another 1080i/29.97 sequence.
    This is about what I figured, just wanted to be sure. Just wondering if there is a problem if I have one cut that has one set of fields displaying one shot (the coin in the attachment above) and the next set of fields displaying the next shot (the man) is that problem? Is there a way to avoid that or am I making a fuss about nothing?
    Last edited by g0ren; 8th Aug 2023 at 18:11. Reason: spelling error
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by g0ren View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    If pulldown is added after the progressive edits are finished, the cadence will be perfect. Just nest it into another 1080i/29.97 sequence.
    This is about what I figured, just wanted to be sure. Just wondering if there is a problem if I have one cut that has one set of fields displaying one shot (the coin in the attachment above) and the next set of fields displaying the next shot (the man) is that problem? Is there a way to avoid that or am I making a fuss about nothing?
    No problem if you didn't edit it afterwards. The cadence will be fixed. This appearance is normal when there is an odd number of frames on one of the scenes of the scenechange
    Quote Quote  
  8. BTW make sure you it set to duplicate (frame repeats) , not blend or optical flow

You can double check the result in AE with pulldown removal . Check the scene changes, they will look fine. It's a set pattern IVTC , and one of the 5 should work. AE cannot do adaptive field matching. It should give same result as the "23.976p" pre nested sequence

Or you can check with this avisynth manual IVTC function; again set pattern IVTC for the "p" value between 0-4 . AssumeTFF for 1080i

Code:
    function manualIVTC(clip v, int p)
    {
    	v=loop(v, p, 0,0)
    	v=v.SeparateFields().SelectEvery(10, 0,1, 2,3, 5,6, 7,8).Weave()
    	v=trim(v,int(p*3/5),0)

return v.assumeFPS(24000,1001)
    }
    Quote Quote  
  9. This helps! Thanks!
    Quote Quote