+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Has anyone heard of this device before?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, I have not heard of that device before. I can't even tell which streaming services or streamed linear TV services it supports based on the information on the website. It might not even be intended for normal consumer use. I can't even tell if it comes with a licensed Android TV OS pre-installed.

Depending on the services you want to watch, you probably would be better off with a Roku Ultra, or a Nvidia Shield TV Pro, or a Google-certified Android TV/Google TV device like the Chromecast with Google TV 4K (if you don't need Ethernet) or something like a Translite Global TL-4KBR (if you do need Ethernet).

[Edit] The webpage for the Amigo 7X (https://www.amino.tv/amino-devices/amigo-7x) describes the device as an "Android TV operator tier certified UHD client TV device" which indicates to me that some IPTV services use it as their set-top box.

For example, I found a page on the Green Mountain Access website that discusses setup for the Amigo 7X to use their service. Green Mountain Access is an Internet/IPTV/Cable TV provider.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 7th Aug 2023 at 15:55.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I got mine from my ISP as well. Just wondered if anyone knew anything about it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by muusicman View Post
    I got mine from my ISP as well. Just wondered if anyone knew anything about it.
    So, my suspicion that it is intended to be the equivalent of a cable box for IPTV was correct. I can't say if there are Android apps that cannot be installed on your device. For example, could it be used as a Plex client device?

IPTV is everywhere now. Although I have traditional Xfinity cable TV service, my cable TV box supposedly allows access to a handful of what appear to be cable channels but are provided via IPTV, plus access to select streaming services. Xfinity also has an IPTV subscription option (Flex) for Internet-only subscribers and Xfinity TV service at some colleges is only available via IPTV.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 8th Aug 2023 at 07:18. Reason: Fix typo
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote