VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Hope you can help.

I have an old DV Camcorder (JVC GR-DVL200) I need to transfer footage from over to my PC.

I have a small widget that has a DV connection on one side, and a USB connection on the other. I have plugged this into the camcorder and I'm using a USB extension cable to connect this to my PC. I am attempting to use WinDV.exe to capture the footage but WinDV doe not recognise the camera. At the bottom of the WinDV screen is displayed 'Error: No video device found'.

How do I get WinDV to recognise my cam?

Any help is greatly appriciated.

*I'm new here, please be gentle

Regards,

GingerOverlord
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    WinDV will only recognise a direct DV connection. As far as it knows your final connection to the PC is over usb and that is not allowed for either WinDV or SCLive.

Now that widget may 'fool' the connection by other software such as vdub but it will no longer be a DV source.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83
    As far as it knows your final connection to the PC is over usb and that is not allowed for either WinDV or SCLive.
    That isn't actually correct. DV over USB is a feature of some of the Pinnacle boxes, namely 500-USB and 710-USB. They show up as a "Microsoft DV VCR and camcorder" and can be "captured" by WinDV and Scealyzer in the normal DV manner. Similarly, some Panasonic MiniDV camcorders will also transfer DV over USB. I have the GS25 and GS3000 which do this. They show up as a "Video Edit" device.

This widget could have a similar function.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Ginger-Overlord View Post
    I have a small widget that has a DV connection on one side, and a USB connection on the other.
    Depends on what the widget is, If it's one of those Chinese fake firewre to USB passive converters then you probably have burned the camcorder's output already.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have a small widget that has a DV connection on one side, and a USB connection on the other.
    A crap fraud
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search PM
    A 2000 DV camcorder? Some people here claim that DV over Firewire does not need drivers, this does not correspond to what I see. I have a JVC camcorder from about the same era (mine is a 1999 model), and I was not able to get it recognized by my system. I am just saying that even if you get a computer with Firewire port, it may not work. In this case SVideo output may be your best bet.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gingeroverlord
    Can you post some details of your widget, a couple of pics, so we can possibly identify it. Cheap-charlie Firewire>USB cable converters are, as Lollo says, a con-job.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Hope you can help.

I have an old DV Camcorder (JVC GR-DVL200) I need to transfer footage from over to my PC.

I have a small widget that has a DV connection on one side, and a USB connection on the other. I have plugged this into the camcorder and I'm using a USB extension cable to connect this to my PC. I am attempting to use WinDV.exe to capture the footage but WinDV doe not recognise the camera. At the bottom of the WinDV screen is displayed 'Error: No video device found'.

How do I get WinDV to recognise my cam?

Any help is greatly appriciated.

*I'm new here, please be gentle

Regards,

GingerOverlord
    see the pdf guide here - https://www.manualslib.com/manual/80726/Jvc-Gr-Dvl-200.html?page=42#manual
    pages 42 & 43 show the connections to a computer, page 44 show connections to vcr. page 45 shows connections to another device with
    a firewire cable.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    October, they have a Firewire to USB converter widget. It would appear they don't have a Firewire socket on their computer.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Many thanks for your feedback/advice.

[Attachment 73077 - Click to enlarge]

Here is a photo of the converter widget.

When connected to my PC, the device manager was displaying 'unknown usb device (device descriptor request failed)'

Now, I am unsure whether this has anything to do with the widget I'm using or that the device driver isn't installed to my PC. I have attempted to look for the driver on the JVC website but I am unsure which one to install (if any).

Anyway, I hope this is enough for you to go on at the moment.

Cheers again.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20230809_172051.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	73076  

Quote Quote  
  11. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    That's a scam, There is no such firewire to USB cable adapter, The two protocols work differently. Throw it away before it does harm to your computer or camcorder, if it hasn't done so, What adds insult to injury is that some of them are not even connected internally.
    Quote Quote