VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I spend around 10 hours the last two days trying to get my MKV files with 4K, HDR and ATMOS to work but was not successful in doing so... My problem is that the integrated Samsung player does not support TrueHD and my Shield has tons of issues when trying to play these files: choppy video, audio is delayed by ~500ms and is having cracking sounds and is dropping in and out of surround sound every like 10 seconds. I went though all the settings on all devices and read a lot of posts here and on other forums but still no luck in getting these files to work properly. Is there anything else that I could try?

My setup:
    • TV: Samsung QE65S95B
    • Soundbar: Samsung HW-Q935B
    • Shield: Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 (Tegra X1+)
    • Cables: 2x High Speed HDMI 2.0 with Ethernet
    • Connections: Shield -> SB -> TV and Shield -> TV -> SB (no difference noticed)

Apps tried on TV:
    • Integrated Samsung player (launched automatically when opening file on the USB drive)
    Plex

Apps tried on Shield:
    Kodi 20.2
    VLC
    • MX Player
    • Just Player
    • Plex

Example files:
    • EAC3 5.1 Atmos -> working well on TV (no Shield needed)
    • TrueHD 7.1 Atmos -> TV: no Atmos (Plex), Shield: lots of issues

The Samsung player has by far the best performance and the least issues (if it were not for the unsupported audio formats...). Plex can play the TrueHD track on the TV but no ATMOS is reported by my SB. The SB is reporting ATMOS when using the Shield but with all the other issues this is not an option... My Shield also already crashed a few times on me... and also sometimes the video even starts without HDR... Very poor experience with this thing and as things stand right now, I indent on returning the Shield and sticking to 7.1 non-ATMOS and EAC3 5.1 Atmos when available (less common).
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you seen this article yet? https://thehometheaterdiy.com/does-nvidia-shield-support-dolby-atmos/ If not, it might provide some help.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SenshiKenpachi View Post
    I spend around 10 hours the last two days trying to get my MKV files with 4K, HDR and ATMOS to work but was not successful in doing so... My problem is that the integrated Samsung player does not support TrueHD and my Shield has tons of issues when trying to play these files: choppy video, audio is delayed by ~500ms and is having cracking sounds and is dropping in and out of surround sound every like 10 seconds. I went though all the settings on all devices and read a lot of posts here and on other forums but still no luck in getting these files to work properly. Is there anything else that I could try?

My setup:
    • TV: Samsung QE65S95B
    • Soundbar: Samsung HW-Q935B
    • Shield: Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 (Tegra X1+)
    • Cables: 2x High Speed HDMI 2.0 with Ethernet
    • Connections: Shield -> SB -> TV and Shield -> TV -> SB (no difference noticed)

Apps tried on TV:
    • Integrated Samsung player (launched automatically when opening file on the USB drive)
    Plex

Apps tried on Shield:
    Kodi 20.2
    VLC
    • MX Player
    • Just Player
    • Plex

Example files:
    • EAC3 5.1 Atmos -> working well on TV (no Shield needed)
    • TrueHD 7.1 Atmos -> TV: no Atmos (Plex), Shield: lots of issues

The Samsung player has by far the best performance and the least issues (if it were not for the unsupported audio formats...). Plex can play the TrueHD track on the TV but no ATMOS is reported by my SB. The SB is reporting ATMOS when using the Shield but with all the other issues this is not an option... My Shield also already crashed a few times on me... and also sometimes the video even starts without HDR... Very poor experience with this thing and as things stand right now, I indent on returning the Shield and sticking to 7.1 non-ATMOS and EAC3 5.1 Atmos when available (less common).
    see this youtube video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGZXgSOcPcI
    on How To Setup 4K Dolby Vision/ Dolby Atmos On Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 With Plex
    Quote Quote