VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi! I got some footage that is 30fps but was originally 60fps interlaced from a TV broadcast. It results in this weird look where you're constantly seeing lines everywhere.

I'd like to do two things:
    1. Convert the 30fps video back to 60fps interlaced.
    2. Use deinterlacing (highest quality I can find) to make it progressive-scan.

Preferably, these things would happen in the same render pass to minimize the loss of quality. As these are old TV broadcasts, the quality's already questionable.

I know how to deinterlace in Handbrake, but I'm not sure how I'd essentially duplicate every frame and cut out the top or bottom depending.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You'll have to provide a video sample of your source. Be sure not to filter or reencode it. But I suspect you have an interlaced source that was resized vertically (before you got it), messing up the fields. You probably won't be able to restore it perfectly, maybe not even well. But any restoration you do perform will have to be done with AviSynth or VapourSynth.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The source was not resized at all. It looks like someone took this 60fps interlaced DVD footage and made it 30fps. I wanna take this and show it to my kids, but I have to figure out a way to get it back to 60fps by dividing the frames in half and using deinterlacing to fix it.

This should be pretty simple right? Tons of people incorrectly assume interlaced means 30fps, so they mess up VHS and DVD footage. It's a common problem, but the solution isn't something I know off the top of my head nor something I seem to be able to find online.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Saturn2888 View Post
    This should be pretty simple right? Tons of people incorrectly assume interlaced means 30fps, so they mess up VHS and DVD footage. It's a common problem, ...
    Really?
    No sample no help. There are many ways to do it completely wrong, based on speculations only.
    Last edited by Sharc; 29th Sep 2023 at 03:47.
    Quote Quote  
  5. In AviSynth: SeparateFields(), Bob(), Yadif(mode=1), BWDIF(field=2), QTGMC()... Most editors have double rate deinterlacing options. For example, VirtualDub's deinterlace filter has "Double frame rate" options with" top field first" and "bottom field first" options.

[Attachment 74077 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote