VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Everyone,

So I have been editing videos, saving them and burning them to DVD-R discs. However, only some of them will load when I play the discs in my dvd player. Some of the DVD-R discs will play just fine in the same dvd player. I am using the same exact brand of disc (verbatim), same type of disc (DVD-R), using the same editing program, same computer, same video format, same everything.

Sometimes, the disc will play in the dvd player, but the video quality is very choppy, and there will be patches of rainbow pixels. Other times, the video won't even attempt to play and I will have a message pop up that says the file is corrupt or unsupported. Yet, other times, I will burn a disc with all sorts of videos the same exact way, and they will play just fine in the dvd player. What gives? Why is it doing this?

I make sure that I never put in too many files that exceed the maximum 4.38GB or the 120 minute runtime for the DVD-R discs, whichever one comes first. I have tried burning at a lower recording speed, it did not help at all. I also tried putting in only one video on a disc and see if it would play since I had just one file on there, but the video quality is not good. I have noticed that when I edit videos and save them, the file size ends up being way more than what the file was before I edited it. Why does it do that?

Because when I edit videos, I cut out portions of the video, and I only save the video as 1080p definition under mp4 format. And the videos themselves before being edited are 1080p definition. For example, I start with a MP4 file that is 15 minutes long and is 335MB in size. I cut out 3 minutes and five seconds of video, save it as MP4 under 1080p and it ends up being 823MB in size.

I would appreciate it if I could receive a solid answer as to why I am having such a playback issue with DVD-R discs and why videos are being saved at such a bigger size.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You'll need to tell us what editing program you're using. File size is simply as case of the bitrate used for export. Lower bitrate, lower file size (and lower quality).

Also, are you actually authoring these DVDs or just using them as a data disk, like a hard drive? MP4 is not a DVD spec codec and your DVD player might not be designed to play MP4s. Then again, it might be, but cannot cope with some of your files. You can check the specifications of your player regarding support for MP4 and the like.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use windows movie maker for editing the videos. I am not authoring the DVDs, I just edit the videos and burn them straight onto DVD-R discs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not familiar with Movie Maker but try lowering the bitrate/quality setting for the export. There should be a export quality setting somewhere.

What model's your player?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    As Alwyn correctly diagnosed your case, you are not authoring a DVD-video disc but rather dumping files in whatever format on a DVD recordable disc, which makes it just a data disc. It is no different from a USB stick or an external HDD aside of session/disc closure issues. These discs may or may not read correctly, and the files may or may not play at the DVD player manufacturer's discretion.

Search for "authoring DVD-Video disc".
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just sounds like some of your burns aren't that good,use imgburn and verify to see if the burns are good or slow down during verify,not all verbatim discs are good.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using a sony dvd player, model BDP-S270. I know it's old, but it still works great. I just used the DVD authoring program from cyberlink and had a successful burn. The disc actually loaded in the DVD player, video quality was perfect and it wasn't lagging. And I was still using MP4 format. What is the best format for DVD authoring? MPEG1? MPEG2?
    Last edited by Random341; 25th Jul 2023 at 04:33.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have done a lot of research and many say that DVD discs, including blu-ray, contain an organic dye and will degrade over time from exposure to light, humidity, heat and repeated use of the discs, which will ultimately result in loss of data. What type of disc should I use then? Because I don't want to spend time and money burning tons of videos onto discs, only to find out 5 years later that a substantial amount of the stored data is no longer readable.
    Last edited by Random341; 25th Jul 2023 at 04:50.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You need quality media and what many tend to forget: a good burner.

What is quality media? In my experience of ~17 years of burning DVDs you want MCC 004 or MCC 03RG20, ideally made in Thailand or Singapore. Brand names are just that – names, doesn't mean much in most cases. Media code and factory location is where it's at.

What is a good burner? These days a full size (not laptop size!) LG with Renesas chipset is easy to find and has very good burning capabilities. Old BenQ and Pioneer drives are excellent choices as well if the IDE interface doesn't scare you. Lite-On drives are also decent.

Here is a list of LG burners with Renesas chipset and SATA interface:

LG Electronics GSA-H62L
    LG Electronics GSA-H62N
    LG Electronics GSA-H66N
    LG Electronics GH20LS10
    LG Electronics GH20LS15
    LG Electronics GH20NS10
    LG Electronics GH20NS15
    LG Electronics GH22LS40
    LG Electronics GH22NS40
    LG Electronics GH22NS50
    LG Electronics GH22NS70
    LG Electronics GH24NS50
    LG Electronics GH24NS70

My oldest DVDs I burnt with my BenQ in 2006 are still playable.
    Quote Quote