VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

My desire is to use a Sony VX-1000 Camcorder without relying on tapes. The most straightforward approach would be to connect a Sony HVR-MRC1 memory recorder to the camera's Firewire OUT port. Regrettably, these recorders have been out of production for over two decades. Although they can still be found, I am reluctant to spend $400 on outdated technology. This led me to explore alternative options, but it appears that no modern memory recorder with a Firewire port is available anymore.

So, I decided to explore the possibility of creating "my own" setup, even though I have very limited knowledge about electronics, programming, and coding. I can manage basic tasks like soldering and assembling Radio Controlled devices, but that's about it. Here's the information I've gathered so far:

1. One approach is to use a Raspberry Pi (CM4) to build a mini touchscreen laptop running Linux and DVGrab to capture the incoming video stream. It involves acquiring specific parts like a carrier board (e.g., https://www.waveshare.com/cm4-io-base-b.htm), an M.2 to PCIe adapter compatible with the chosen carrier board, a PCIe x1 riser/extender, a Firewire 400 PCIe x1 card, and a GPIO connected touchscreen for display and control. If anyone knowledgeable in this area could take a look and provide feedback on whether this setup will work, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Another option involves using an iPhone, iPad, or iPod as a "hard drive" for the purpose of capturing video. Older iPods with FireWire support might be utilized by finding or developing an app that can enable them to function as a FireWire HDD. Similarly, newer Apple devices with Lightning ports could also be utilized with a Firewire to Lightning adapter and a suitable app.

3. Alternatively, the Accsoon SeeMo Video Capture device (https://accsoon.com/accsoon-seemo/) offers a way to connect to the HDMI port of the video source and the Lightning port of an Apple device. The accompanying app records in h.264 format, which might not be ideal for some users. Attempts were made to inquire with the company if the app could be modified to accept other video sources through the Lightning cable, but the response was negative.

I welcome any input or suggestions regarding these approaches. Thank you.

EDIT: I possess an old iPod, a new iPad, and a camcorder. Despite the Company's statement that their app cannot record incoming video streams other than from their device, I am tempted to download the app and attempt it anyway. The only setback is that I currently lack a Firewire to Lightning adapter.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    Atomos Ninja is the standard way of doing this, but I am sure you can rig up something cheaper from no-name parts.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Bwaak View Post
    Atomos Ninja is the standard way of doing this, but I am sure you can rig up something cheaper from no-name parts.
    A Sony VX1000 has a FireWire out port and no HDMI. Atomos Ninja does not have a firewire or thunderbolt IN port, only HDMI. From my understanding, firewire to HDMI adapters do not work because they use a different protocol.

thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    You can get an SVideo-to-HDMI converter, but then you need to power it, although USB power banks are ubiquitous. Or you can get a simpler box like the ClearClick, you need to power it as well.

What is wrong with tape? Are you shooting hundreds hours a month that capturing from tape slows you down? Are you shooting in a sandy desert or at a beach? Is it just about DV compression?

I like cassettes, they are cute

Anyway, there are a bunch of videos on YouTube how people convert their VXs and DVXs into tapeless mode.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Bwaak View Post
    You can get an SVideo-to-HDMI converter, but then you need to power it, although USB power banks are ubiquitous.
    I could do that, but I thought FireWire offers "better" quality? I would not mind a power bank. I feel like a Atomos Ninja is too big though. Would have to go and check on out and see in person.

Or you can get a simpler box like the ClearClick, you need to power it as well.
    I have a device like the ClearClick. I am sure it is made by the same company. Anyhow, it works, running with a power bank, but the quality is not that great. Besides, the ClearClick produces files at around 1.4GB per hour compared to the 12GB when coming straight form the camcorder via firewire. so why would I go for the ClearClick?

What is wrong with tape?
    Nothing.

Are you shooting hundreds hours a month that capturing from tape slows you down?
    More like 30 minutes. Max.

Are you shooting in a sandy desert or at a beach?
    Nope.

Is it just about DV compression?
    I know too little about compression to even tell what exactly you mean, ha ha.

I like cassettes, they are cute
    HA HA. Totally agree. The whole thing is adorable.

Anyway, there are a bunch of videos on YouTube how people convert their VXs and DVXs into tapeless mode.
    I know and I watched many of them. Most use either a HVR-MRC1 or something like a ClearView, but I like to think outside the box and come up with something else. I am sure that anyone currently using a HVR-MRC1 is going to like the idea, of having something cheaper and definitely more modern, they can use.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I mean, if you tell me how exactly S-Video to HDMI is not that much worse, I might give it a try. : )
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    I don't think there are any current tapeless devices to capture DV or HDV. So, SVideo is your next best thing, which you can capture directly, or convert to something else like HDMI.

I've already linked to this article, originally published in DV Magazine. See "DVCAM" vs "DVCAM Y/C OUT". The first is digital output via DV/Firewire, the second is, basically, SVideo. Pure digital is better when capturing off tape, of course, but SVideo is not much worse. Also, as you will be capturing live video, the quality supposedly should be slightly better.

I think this is your best option.

I've seen some dudes capturing from the DVX via composite... IDK. I would rather record on tape
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Bwaak View Post
    I don't think there are any current tapeless devices to capture DV or HDV.
    Thats why it would be so "cool" to create one.

So, SVideo is your next best thing, which you can capture directly, or convert to something else like HDMI.
    Copy that.

I've already linked to this article, originally published in DV Magazine. See "DVCAM" vs "DVCAM Y/C OUT". The first is digital output via DV/Firewire, the second is, basically, SVideo. Pure digital is better when capturing off tape, of course, but SVideo is not much worse. Also, as you will be capturing live video, the quality supposedly should be slightly better.
    "Already"? Where? Must have not seen it.

I think this is your best option.
    Probably.

I've seen some dudes capturing from the DVX via composite... IDK. I would rather record on tape
    What is DVX?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    If you actually built a small PC with Firewire board and running appropriate software, that would be cool. SVideo route seems simpler to me, but more power to you.

The DVX is another iconic DV camcorder
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Bwaak View Post
    If you actually built a small PC with Firewire board and running appropriate software, that would be cool. SVideo route seems simpler to me, but more power to you.

The DVX is another iconic DV camcorder
    Well, let's see how the mini PC is going to work out. I keep you posted. You know, I would probably not mind the s-video route but only if use an adapter to HDMI and Atomos. My Clearview like device is just too crappy. Maybe I post some sample footage...

Ah, I remember that camera, but didn't know it's name. 😁😁😁

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If it's going in/out via Firewire, it may already be DV-Compressed at that stage, which depending on your preference & sensitivity may put you back to square one, and S-video may be your best bet then. Of course, it's still SD.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    If it's going in/out via Firewire, it may already be DV-Compressed at that stage, which depending on your preference & sensitivity may put you back to square one, and S-video may be your best bet then. Of course, it's still SD.

Scott
    Scott,

thanks for the reply. I am not sure what you mean with all you said? Can you please simplify that?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by plehoediv View Post
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post

Scott
    Scott,

thanks for the reply. I am not sure what you mean with all you said? Can you please simplify that?

Thank you.
    He means that what comes out of the DV port is encoded with DV codec, 29 Mbit/s, no matter whether it comes from tape or live.

OTOH, if you feed live video through analog port, it will come converted from digital sensor into analog, but not compressed into DV beforehand. So, in theory it may look better than when captured through Firewire.

Similar, but a more drastic difference is when you grab live video off a VHS camcorder - the camera section usually is much better than what is recorded on tape.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it's been awhile but there used to be a trick to get some HDV cams to record directly to a pc over firewire bypassing tape. i used HDVsplit and i think you had to leave the tape door open.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Bwaak View Post
    Originally Posted by plehoediv View Post
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post

Scott
    Scott,

Thank you.
    He means that what comes out of the DV port is encoded with DV codec, 29 Mbit/s, no matter whether it comes from tape or live.

OTOH, if you feed live video through analog port, it will come converted from digital sensor into analog, but not compressed into DV beforehand. So, in theory it may look better than when captured through Firewire.

Similar, but a more drastic difference is when you grab live video off a VHS camcorder - the camera section usually is much better than what is recorded on tape.
    I see. Thanks for clarifying and the extra info.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    it's been awhile but there used to be a trick to get some HDV cams to record directly to a pc over firewire bypassing tape. i used HDVsplit and i think you had to leave the tape door open.
    The people I see online doing this, using a Sony HVR-MRC1, do it without having to open the tape door. The only way I have done it is by using either the s-video or the 3.5mm video out port. Both times the door can be closed. The only thing that sucks a bit is that the camcorder shots off after like five minutes...

What I am going to try is to capture using my laptop, directly from the live video, and not the tape. We'll see what happens...

Thanks.
    Last edited by plehoediv; 25th Jul 2023 at 17:00.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    maybe go shopping at "goodwill" they usually have working older computers, maybe you'd get lucky and score one with a firewire port. the reason to leave the tape door open is to keep the camcorder from shutting off while recording without tape straight to the computer.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    maybe go shopping at "goodwill" they usually have working older computers, maybe you'd get lucky and score one with a firewire port. the reason to leave the tape door open is to keep the camcorder from shutting off while recording without tape straight to the computer.
    You must have not read any of my posts, right? I am looking for something mobile.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i read you don't expect to record over 45 minutes at a time. use a tape if you NEED to use that cam! or buy a much more modern camcorder that records to memory cards. you have a third world problem. it ain't fixable.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    i read you don't expect to record over 45 minutes at a time. use a tape if you NEED to use that cam! or buy a much more modern camcorder that records to memory cards. you have a third world problem. it ain't fixable.
    Edit: Who cares what I own. I am covered though.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I had an intriguing idea...

Whenever I plug an external HDD into my computer, I usually initiate a file transfer by copying something from my PC and then pasting it onto the HDD. That's common knowledge. But here's the interesting part: What if I were to connect a firewire HDD to a camcorder and simply hit play? Since the signal comes out through the firewire port, and firewire is essentially data, wouldn't the external HDD just "capture" the footage?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote