VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It may always have been there. I only noticed it when I moved the disk from older Win 10 PC to newer Win 11 PC.
    Initially I thought it might be because of Win 11. But it makes similar noise in both PC's, just more noticeable in the new PC.

I noticed that when used in new PC, probably same for old one, that it takes a few minutes to start making the noise.

I disabled indexing, it's not that. It's not defragging, see posts further on.

It makes the same noise in two different PC's, so its a disk issue as different data, power cables and PSU's used.

I ran a Seagate "Seatools" torture test, ran overnight, came up aok, same for Windows check disk.

I made a short audio recording of the noise, it's at the very start, the middle and at the end. Ignore the background noise. It's about every 10 seconds.

Any ideas ?

I am not sure how to upload it directly ?

Thanks johns0.

https://files.videohelp.com/u/302766/Seagate%2010TB%20noise.wav

Seagate 10TB 3.5" internal drive.
    --------------------------------s
    Model: ST10000DM0004-1ZC101
    World wide name: 5000C500B38C5A1C
    Drive serial no. ZA29W58K
    Serial number: DE42-50E4-4250-C2C7
    Last edited by JN-; 21st Jul 2023 at 17:36.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    To upload here directly just click on the tab below where you are posting and select 'upload files/manage attachments'.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JN- View Post
    It may always have been there. I only noticed it when I moved the disk from older Win 10 PC to newer Win 11 PC.
    Initially I thought it might be because of Win 11. But it makes similar noise in both PC's, just more noticeable in the new PC.

I noticed that when used in new PC, probably same for old one, that it takes a few minutes to start making the noise.

I disabled indexing, it's not that.

I ran a Seagate "Seatools" torture test, ran overnight, came up aok, same for Windows check disk.

I made a short audio recording of the noise, it's at the very start, the middle and at the end. Ignore the background noise.
    Any ideas ?

Dropbox link to audio sample. https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/o9g9m6y6uje861xvfdowm/h?rlkey=y7nh3a6lum4a9d5osxqgl2uip&dl=0

I am not sure how to upload it directly ?

Seagate 10TB 3.5" internal drive.
    --------------------------------s
    Model: ST10000DM0004-1ZC101
    World wide name: 5000C500B38C5A1C
    Drive serial no. ZA29W58K
    Serial numberE42-50E4-4250-C2C7

see this here - https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/identifying-hard-drive-sounds-and-determining-what-...up%20or%20down.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    To upload here directly just click on the tab below where you are posting and select 'upload files/manage attachments'.
    Thanks Hamster. I missed it because I don't normally use the "Advanced" edit mode, much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks october262. I checked out your link. The noise in the audio file I made available is when drive is idle. If I am accessing the drive then the noise disappears. It's replaced with normal drive access noise.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I suspect that the sound is the heads being parked/un-parked roughly every 10 seconds.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sometimes the noise can be from defrag mode which is usually set to auto and starts when nothing is happening on the drive.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good idea. It appears to be off. Unfortunately it shows as off for scheduled optimisation. Option is to turn on. Also shows never run. OK 0% fragmented.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I click analyze it runs for a second and displays Ok 0% fragmented. The disk is full save for 12gb free. Ok I ran "Optimise" and it took less than a minute.

So I can rule out it doing defragging.
    Last edited by JN-; 21st Jul 2023 at 17:19.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am pretty sure from some more googling that it's constantly parking the heads, too frequently.

Useful link here .. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/how-can-i-disable-continuously-parking-heads.370669/

I cannot apply fixes mentioned in the link because this particular drive doesn't have APM, greyed out in Crystal disk info, and shows NO in Seatools. No firmware update available.

So my best option is to set it to power down using Windows "Power options"
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had problems with Seagate HDD's over the years and I will never use them again even if they are free.
    My advise is to backup your data before it fails.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good advice for sure.
    Quote Quote