VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi, I have had my Ideapad now for about 2 months, have installed a couple of programs such as Avideux, Virtualdub, Lossless Cut, Vudcutter, an APK to enable Whatsapp on my laptop and a few other programs. Although there is only 56GB in total I don't know why there only about 7GB left, even stranger as a few days ago it was showing that it had only 5GB disc space left, and a few times the HHD was running really low down to about 1GB. Does anyone know what is causing this?. Is this down to Windows 11?. I remember having a similar problem years ago on my old Acer laptop running Vista where the harddrive space seemed to be fluctuating up and down for no reason, often where I had practically no disc space left and it couldn't install small programs.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Check the size of your c:/users subfolder. I was surprised to see how much size it has there on my PC (running Windows 10).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    Check the size of your c:/users subfolder. I was surprised to see how much size it has there on my PC (running Windows 10).
    I don't like Windows 11 to be honest. Microsoft Office has already expired, or rather because I don't want to sign in to the account it won't allow me to use it (what happened to Office on previous Windows when you didn't need to do this?), my antivirus has also expired already yet I've only had the laptop for 2 months and other things I don't like.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I am now down to about 100mb HDD space on my Ideapad, no idea why, but I have cleared the cache and some other files, but I haven't cleared the temporary files but I'm unsure whether it will delete my unused programs/apps. It has a total of 56gb yet I am baffled as to where all that space has gone to as there's no way that any program or file has taken that amount of space up, and I've only had the laptop a few months. Of all the laptops I've had I've never seen the disc space get eaten up so quicky; one minute there's enough space and then I try download a very small file and it says I'm running out of disc space, even to the point where my browser can't run. Gotta be something odd going on there. I do remember years ago having a similar problem with my desktop PC which I think may've (I say may've been) a virus.

If anyone knows what's causing this I would love to know. Most of my videos, pictures and music files are stored on my external 1TB HDDs, only programs/apps are on the internal drive. I regularly clear internet browsing so it can't be this. The largest file that's on it is 2GB (which is the Bluestackss apk app).
    Last edited by techmot; 25th Aug 2023 at 12:22.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Check the Users subfolder size. I have 52GB on mine.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    Check the Users subfolder size. I have 52GB on mine.
    Do you mean the user folder itself?. It says it has 3.28gb.

Odd that, when I had to abruptly restart the machine after it crashing, after rebooting I checked my PC and it the disc space was about 2GB.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Do this:

1. Open a File Explorer window
    2. Click on the computer icon
    3. select the C: drive (OS/boot drive)
    4. Right-click, choose properties
    5. Click on "Compress this drive to save disk space"
    6. Click OK and WAIT...

You should end up w/ a couple of extra free Gigs.

You should also try the [Disk Cleanup] button on that same window

<edit>Also, make sure you don't have extra user profiles: I've cleaned up machines with ~20 user profiles (keeping only 3) and recovered 60GB! Use "delprof2" for a good tool to do this.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 25th Aug 2023 at 16:37.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    BTW, Win11 is basically Win10 with a sleeker UI, and bit more stringent hardware/driver/security requirements. Nothing "bad" about Win11 that wasn't bad about Win10. Most peoples' complaints have workarounds and much of that is just knowing a different way to access the same settings, which once you are familiar with where they are, it isn't a hindrance anymore.

Sounds to me more like you've just got a seriously underpowered computer.

Example: I can fit a Win11 + Full MS Office + Full AdobeCC suite + Blender + SPSS+ ArcGIS + about 30 other apps on a 120GB SSD with about 25-35GB to spare. The trick it to avoid letting the apps and user profiles balloon and use up the space. Keep it a lean, mean, fighting machine by keeping the image as close to newly-created as possible (which also means periodic re-imaging).

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 25th Aug 2023 at 16:31.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you don't mind a third party app, Treesize Free will scan your drive and tell you which folders are using all the space...
    It's clean, I've used various versions over the years
    https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    +1.

Great app
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It could be restore points, windows-update files or a large Recycle bin.

Do a Disk Cleanup:

In the Search box , type in Disk Cleanup; click it.

Choose the drive>OK

Tick all the items you want to delete, then click Clean up system files.

Once again, choose the drive (C)>OK

Tick stuff to be deleted (include Windows update cleanup)

Click on the More Options tab then "System restore and Shadow copies" > click Clean up... Click Delete (You can clean up unused programs if you want there as well)

"Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point? > Delete

Click OK and then "Are you sure you want to perm delete files? > Delete Files

The cleanup will then start.

You can also trim down the size of your recycle bin. Right click on the Recycle Bin on the desktop and choose Properties. Set the desired size.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by techmot View Post
    I... but I have cleared the cache and some other files, but I haven't cleared the temporary files but I'm unsure whether it will delete my unused programs
    You can delete the temporary files without any problem.
    Last edited by ProWo; 26th Aug 2023 at 03:17.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    It could be restore points, windows-update files or a large Recycle bin.

Do a Disk Cleanup:

In the Search box , type in Disk Cleanup; click it.

Choose the drive>OK

Tick all the items you want to delete, then click Clean up system files.

Once again, choose the drive (C)>OK

Tick stuff to be deleted (include Windows update cleanup)

Click on the More Options tab then "System restore and Shadow copies" > click Clean up... Click Delete (You can clean up unused programs if you want there as well)

"Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point? > Delete

Click OK and then "Are you sure you want to perm delete files? > Delete Files

The cleanup will then start.

You can also trim down the size of your recycle bin. Right click on the Recycle Bin on the desktop and choose Properties. Set the desired size.
    Thanks for the help. I did a disc clean up but there wasn't that much to clean just a few small files. There is no "System restore and Shadow copies" and no "More Options" tab.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Fair enough.

I'll second the use of Treesize. It will show you where your storage is being used.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try to uninstall all the applications that you added after receiving the laptop and check the size that remains after each uninstall until you are left with only the apps that came with it. If you paid for any of the apps then you should save the license codes somewhere.
    I have a bad experience with Asus laptop E200HA with only 32GB disk as it was already loaded with all kind of applications and after installing just few apps I was not able to uninstall any apps because there wasn't any space for temporary files created during the uninstall.
    Ideally you should have only the operating system and what come with it. Always check the remaining size because every GB is precious.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    Try to uninstall all the applications that you added after receiving the laptop and check the size that remains after each uninstall until you are left with only the apps that came with it. If you paid for any of the apps then you should save the license codes somewhere.
    I have a bad experience with Asus laptop E200HA with only 32GB disk as it was already loaded with all kind of applications and after installing just few apps I was not able to uninstall any apps because there wasn't any space for temporary files created during the uninstall.
    Ideally you should have only the operating system and what come with it. Always check the remaining size because every GB is precious.
    Thanks for the advice, I thought about uninstalling the applications I downloaded, maybe one of them is causing the problem. I did a disc clean up (though I haven't cleared the "temporary downloads" folder yet because it seems to suggest it will delete all the downloads in that folder), cleared my browser history but as I am constantly using the internet via Opera browser I am now getting very low disc space, even to the point where Opera cannot load web pages. I checked my PC and it is saying I have only 241mb left. Errr? What the hell is going on here, where's all that space going to?. Something must be running in the background somewhere. I had a few programs open earlier like Virtualdub and Lossless Cut and I had more disc space then, but it seems to keep getting low every now and again. Last time this happened, after I rebooted I now had about 2GB of space. I have never had this problem on my older Toshiba satellite running Windows 8 nor with my Acer Vista laptop. Is this a common issue with Win11 or is there something faulty with my Ideapad, or have I got some kind of malware or virus?.

I should try and download the same programs on my sons laptop as he has the exact same model of Ideapad as me. If I do this and it doesn't do the same then it must mean there's some fault with the laptop or Windows. Could be a dodgy app I've installed like the Whatsapp apk.

Edit: forgot to mention when I try to log into youtube, I am getting an Out of memory message.
    Last edited by techmot; 29th Aug 2023 at 10:01.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would uninstall all the applications that you added after you received the laptop. If you have Chrome installed (takes about 5GB on my PC), then start by uninstallig Opera why do you need it anyway?
    Check all the apps that came with your laptop and delete anything that you hardly need. I think the Windows installation and license is burnt into the disk, at least this is what I have on my Asus. You need about 15 GB to install Windows 10 perhaps Windows 11 needs a bit more.
    When you have cleaned all the apps that you don't need, then you will have a better idea how much free space you really have and only then reinstall the apps that you must have for your work. Needless to say all other data files you have should be moved out of the disk into an external storage.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    I would uninstall all the applications that you added after you received the laptop. If you have Chrome installed (takes about 5GB on my PC), then start by uninstallig Opera why do you need it anyway?
    Check all the apps that came with your laptop and delete anything that you hardly need. I think the Windows installation and license is burnt into the disk, at least this is what I have on my Asus. You need about 15 GB to install Windows 10 perhaps Windows 11 needs a bit more.
    When you have cleaned all the apps that you don't need, then you will have a better idea how much free space you really have and only then reinstall the apps that you must have for your work. Needless to say all other data files you have should be moved out of the disk into an external storage.
    I prefer Opera than anything to do with Google. Some browsers do things than other browsers don't; Chrome has an extension which allows you to view Twitter pages without logging in, and my Opera has a free VPN. I will try and uninstall some apps but I don't want to uninstall the Whatsapp apk as it means I have add all my contacts all over again. I didn't know Chrome takes up that much space. I have also the Microsoft Edge browsers installed. How does a web browser take about 5GB of space up? they're usually about 100mb.
    Last edited by techmot; 29th Aug 2023 at 11:14.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FYI Opera free VPN is only to hide your activity mainly from your ISP and does not overcome geoblocking because it doesn't offer any free servers in other countries. If this is useful for you then keep it.
    There is WhatsApp on Microsoft store, why did you need to use APK? I am assuming you had to install also something like BlueStacks to make it work. I am sure there is an easy way to import your contacts in case you decide to uninstall it. My first suspect for your issues is using Android apps.
    Do you remember how much free space you had on your laptop when it arrived? My Asus laptop came with so many apps that I didn't need.
    You should always have enough space on your disk, otherwise you will not be able to do any uninstall.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    FYI Opera free VPN is only to hide your activity mainly from your ISP and does not overcome geoblocking because it doesn't offer any free servers in other countries. If this is useful for you then keep it.
    There is WhatsApp on Microsoft store, why did you need to use APK? I am assuming you had to install also something like BlueStacks to make it work. I am sure there is an easy way to import your contacts in case you decide to uninstall it. My first suspect for your issues is using Android apps.
    Do you remember how much free space you had on your laptop when it arrived? My Asus laptop came with so many apps that I didn't need.
    You should always have enough space on your disk, otherwise you will not be able to do any uninstall.
    Yeah I suppose being a free VPN it won't overcome geoblocking. I did try Windscribe and ProtonVPN, but when I logged into after creating an account all it says is that I need to provide my card details. I couldn't see any free version of it despite what people have told me.

As for the disc space, but just I had to abruptly restart Windows because the disc space become so low that nothing would function. It could be the Bluestacks app that is causing this (the reason why I didn't downloaded the app directly from the Microsoft store is mainly because I don't like using app stores). I was down to about 138mb, but when I had to reboot I found that the HDD space was not just over 3GB. I noticed though that it slowly went down to just about 3GB. Seems to me that something is running in the background and taking all of the space or possibly the RAM in very short time. I've never had any laptop behave like this.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the laptop is still under warranty, I would complain to the shop and ask for a replacement.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    If the laptop is still under warranty, I would complain to the shop and ask for a replacement.
    I should really ask for a replacement, seems very strange the disc space running down like that, never had this problem before, though I remember on my old desktop PC the disc space kept going up and down. Could this be a virus?. If it's a fault then wouldn't the laptop or Windows not work?. I booted the PC this morning, never loaded my browser or any other program except Lossless Cut to merge a video that I imported from my camera, and when I tried to merge the files it said "run of space". I checked MY PC and I had no disc space left. I deleted temp files from Windows and Opera browser history and managed to get to space upto about 130MB. There is no way that any of the programs/apps that I have installed on this laptop is taking all that 56GB of space up. The largest program I have installed is about 2GB.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are utilities that reveal the information you're looking for so you don't have to guess.
    One was mentioned earlier in this thread.
    For Windows 10/11 you can use Settings/Storage to get a space
    overview - perhaps that will be detailed enough
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by techmot View Post
    Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    I should really ask for a replacement, seems very strange the disc space running down like that, never had this problem before, though I remember on my old desktop PC the disc space kept going up and down. Could this be a virus?. If it's a fault then wouldn't the laptop or Windows not work?. I booted the PC this morning, never loaded my browser or any other program except Lossless Cut to merge a video that I imported from my camera, and when I tried to merge the files it said "run of space". I checked MY PC and I had no disc space left. I deleted temp files from Windows and Opera browser history and managed to get to space upto about 130MB. There is no way that any of the programs/apps that I have installed on this laptop is taking all that 56GB of space up. The largest program I have installed is about 2GB.
    If you decide to go this route, try to replace the laptop with the next disk size even if it costs you a bit more. Yor laptop does not have 56GB BUT 64GB which a standard size but as you have discovered it is too small to install many software. I would at least go for 128GB or 256GB.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    Originally Posted by techmot View Post
    Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    If you decide to go this route, try to replace the laptop with the next disk size even if it costs you a bit more. Yor laptop does not have 56GB BUT 64GB which a standard size but as you have discovered it is too small to install many software. I would at least go for 128GB or 256GB.
    Hi, dunno if this helps but I took this screenshot from of the storage settings:
    [Attachment 73626 - Click to enlarge]

To me the storage given does not make any sense. It's saying I have only 222mb free of 56GB, nd yet "Apps & features" says 24gb of 55.7gb used, "Temporary files" says 2.75gb/55.7gb used, and "Other" says 2.10gb/55.7gb used.

Should't there be at least 25gb left?. I took the screenshot just before I restarted, all I was doing at the time was using Opera browser on youtube and doing some light editing on Gimp - that's it. When I restarted and checked my PC the discspace had jumped back to 2.88GB, yet before it had gone down to 200mb, and because of this webpages wouldn't load due to no memory. What the hell is going on here it's bizarre. I have must a either a virus/trojan or there's a fault with the harddrive. As I use the internet it seems to deplete the disc space over the span of hours, but why?.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Click on this to see the rest of the storage usage:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Storage screenshot.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	73627  

Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Click on this to see the rest of the storage usage:
    Sorry didn't notice that:

[Attachment 73629 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 73630 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Category "other" will show you other large folders, but it's only 2GB; you can click on it to see if there's anything unexpected.

You can click on "Apps and Features" - There may be some items you can uninstall. This is probably the best opportunity to get some space back.
    (possibly some of the built-in "Metro" apps if you're not using them)

There may be some other things you can clear in "Temporary files", for example, "recycle bin", "temporary internet files"

In "System and reserved" about the only thing you can change is the size of the reserved space for System Restore.
    But for such a small Windows partition,
    it's probably already optimized. (For example, my Windows 10 system has 9% of the drive space for System Restore)
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Category "other" will show you other large folders, but it's only 2GB; you can click on it to see if there's anything unexpected.

You can click on "Apps and Features" - There may be some items you can uninstall. This is probably the best opportunity to get some space back.
    (possibly some of the built-in "Metro" apps if you're not using them)

There may be some other things you can clear in "Temporary files", for example, "recycle bin", "temporary internet files"

In "System and reserved" about the only thing you can change is the size of the reserved space for System Restore.
    But for such a small Windows partition,
    it's probably already optimized. (For example, my Windows 10 system has 9% of the drive space for System Restore)
    Thanks for the help. But regardless of the above maybe taking space, it doesn't explain why the space keeps getting low when all I am doing is using the internet and an editing program. And why does the disc space suddenly go back to around 2GB after doing a restart of Windows?. I've never had this on any my laptops before, and I rarely cleared any temp files. Most of my video files, pictures etc are stored on my two external 1TB HDDs and a couple of pendrives.
    Quote Quote