VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone, I apologise in advance if I have posted to the wrong thread.

I've been shooting amateur cine films and video since 1980, have always prided myself on backing everything up on tape, data DVDs and hard drives, but now have a problem I just can't get my head round. I'd be very grateful for any help any of you can offer.

On my hard drives, some MPG and AVI files simply won't open. I have tried to open these files with VLC Player, the included Windows Player apps, as well as video editing software. Without luck.

In Windows Explorer the files exist with their names but there are no thumbnails. I can right-click on the files and see their properties such as file size etc. I can also copy these files and transfer them but just can't open them!

Outside of Windows Explorer other apps appear not to be able to detect the files. Today I downloaded Wondershare Recoverit. When I clicked on their module to repair damaged video files, I was prompted to choose the files from a pop-up explorer window. But Recoverit couldn't see any files even though the files were in that directory.

I am guessing and hoping that these files are indeed recoverable.

What suggestions do you have? I am afraid of running Windows CheckDisk etc in case it discovers problems which screw up the whole disc.

Thanks in advance for your contributions.

Regards

Steve
    Steve in Dominican Republic
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try HD Video Converter PRo by WonderFox hopefully it will help. Use the converter option.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Post one of this videos here, a short one.
    Quote Quote  
  4. What does MediaInfo say about the file(s)? But if VLC can't play them they are probably too corrupt to recover.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    open one with a hexeditor and see if there is any data in it.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hm. At least the MPEG files should open with VLC, can't be the codec.
    Did you simply try to copy the files somewhere? Would be the first I would try.
    If that works, I also would open it with a Hex-editor to see if maybe they just contain zeroes.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

I have downloaded and paid for TenorShare4DDiG, and attempted to repair some GoPro files. It's initial attempt at repair failed, so I tried their ADVANCED REPAIR which involves selecting a totally healthy file taken with the same camera, which I did, but that also failed.

I shall now share with the group, specifically with the first person who replied to me (I've forgotten your name, sorry) one of these propblem files in the event that that might help.

Grateful as always

Steve

Originally Posted by FilmerSteve View Post
    Hi everyone, I apologise in advance if I have posted to the wrong thread.

I've been shooting amateur cine films and video since 1980, have always prided myself on backing everything up on tape, data DVDs and hard drives, but now have a problem I just can't get my head round. I'd be very grateful for any help any of you can offer.

On my hard drives, some MPG and AVI files simply won't open. I have tried to open these files with VLC Player, the included Windows Player apps, as well as video editing software. Without luck.

In Windows Explorer the files exist with their names but there are no thumbnails. I can right-click on the files and see their properties such as file size etc. I can also copy these files and transfer them but just can't open them!

Outside of Windows Explorer other apps appear not to be able to detect the files. Today I downloaded Wondershare Recoverit. When I clicked on their module to repair damaged video files, I was prompted to choose the files from a pop-up explorer window. But Recoverit couldn't see any files even though the files were in that directory.

I am guessing and hoping that these files are indeed recoverable.

What suggestions do you have? I am afraid of running Windows CheckDisk etc in case it discovers problems which screw up the whole disc.

Thanks in advance for your contributions.

Regards

Steve
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Post one of this videos here, a short one.
    Here you go. It's editable, and it's a copy on my Onedrive: https://1drv.ms/v/s!Atb8OWfS8PhckOg56SaE7HqZBFhVFg?e=Kvmfm2
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your input and suggestions.

MediaInfo on the same MP4 file which I just shared with you, shows the information in the attached BASIC and SHEET views. Basically shows nothing.

What view should I share with you?

Thanks

Steve

[Attachment 72402 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 72403 - Click to enlarge]
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    What does MediaInfo say about the file(s)? But if VLC can't play them they are probably too corrupt to recover.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your suggestion, I opened the same file with a hexeditor, and the file appears to have data, see attached,

[Attachment 72404 - Click to enlarge]
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    open one with a hexeditor and see if there is any data in it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your suggestion but that doesn't work either.

I tried converting/importing/editing with Prism, and Video Converter and received similar error messages, see attached.

[Attachment 72405 - Click to enlarge]
    Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    Try HD Video Converter PRo by WonderFox hopefully it will help. Use the converter option.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, thanks.

Yes, I tried the basics such as:
    • changing file type
    • changing file location

But that hasn't worked either.

Originally Posted by Quint View Post
    Hm. At least the MPEG files should open with VLC, can't be the codec.
    Did you simply try to copy the files somewhere? Would be the first I would try.
    If that works, I also would open it with a Hex-editor to see if maybe they just contain zeroes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Possibly encrypted by ransomeware? Go back to your optical storage, or tape backups and compare.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That would appear not to be the problem.

Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Possibly encrypted by ransomeware? Go back to your optical storage, or tape backups and compare.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  15. A/V files have identifiable markers at the very start. Those markers are easily seen in a hex editor. For example an mp4 file shows:

[Attachment 72406 - Click to enlarge]

Note the "ftypmp42", "isommp4", etc. Other containers have other markers that make them easily identifiable, even if the extension has been change.

The file you uploaded did not show any of the usual markers. You doubt your going to recover anything from that file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM

Scott
    the file you posted a screenshot of shows gobbledegook at the beginning. Therefore, you have corruption of the files, for sure. it is either accidental corruption (in which case you should follow best practices for recovery - and that does NOT include using anything by Wondershare!), or it is intentional corruption due to ransomware.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, very grateful. So if it's gobbledygood = corrupt and lost forever?

QUOTE=Cornucopia;2697341]

Scott
    the file you posted a screenshot of shows gobbledegook at the beginning. Therefore, you have corruption of the files, for sure. it is either accidental corruption (in which case you should follow best practices for recovery - and that does NOT include using anything by Wondershare!), or it is intentional corruption due to ransomware.

Scott[/QUOTE]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    first thing i'd try is windows disk error checking on the drive. it works well on corrupted files/drives. right click on the drive, properties/tools/error checking. you may have to reboot to get it to run if anything is being used on the drive.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  19. That file I downloaded looked to be encrypted to me. Unlikely a windows file system error or even fixable w/o proper decryption keys. Hopefully you have other backup source? As they say one can never have to many backup copies of important files.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    first thing i'd try is windows disk error checking on the drive. it works well on corrupted files/drives. right click on the drive, properties/tools/error checking. you may have to reboot to get it to run if anything is being used on the drive.
    It could be a file system error but most I have seen aren't filled w. 100% garbage data like that. Usually bits and pieces of obvious corruption. Who knows it's worth a shot trying anything.
    Quote Quote