VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hi i need to ask this question if anyone knows of a other way to do this i dont know if this question is put on the right page.

i need to know if this can be done how to rip a dvd and blu ray disc without a pc or mac.

i can across a Panasonic DVD-S500EB-K DVD/CD Player With CD Ripping it says in the manual that it rips cds to a usb external hard drive.

so my question is there anyway possible to rip a dvd and blu ray disc the same way like without a pc or mac is there any way possible to rip a dvd and blu ray disc the same way as the cd ripping way. the Panasonic DVD-S500EB-K DVD/CD Player that is the only way i know of to rip a cd to a usb hard drive without a pc or mac so can the same way be done with a dvd and blu ray disc. like is there any other machine like that that would rip a dvd and blu ray disc to a usb hard drive or is a pc and mac the only way to do it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    No
    LOL no explanation just right to the point!

DVDs and Blurays are encrypted by design (CDs are not) plus they are much more complicated beasts. An Audio CD is just PCM w/ some text, it doesn't even have a file system! So no one makes any such unit per se. You need at minimum a PC or MAC, if any duplicator stand alone units do exist I have never seen them.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    Sure. Play it off a DVD or BD player into an external box like this. If you are going to record off HDMI, make sure the box does not mind HDCP protection, or get an HDCP stripper.

Mind you, this is not what most people call ripping, but it would like make like a good like dvd or blu-ray disc representation on a usb hard drive.

[Attachment 72342 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It's not what anyone would call ripping, its called recording. Hence the verb right on the box.

Yeah, I could have given the long, longer, or longest version, but the facts are straightforward - it cannot be done without a computer.

CDs otoh can be ripped without a (standard, general purpose) computer. Witness the old but wonderful Alesis MasterLink ML-9600.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 9th Jul 2023 at 01:21.
    Quote Quote  
  6. That's capturing not ripping. If the OP can't even use a PC or MAC how are they supposed to do HDMI capturing w/ and figure out how to get around the protection?

The OP wants a stand alone unit like they have for CDs, not a even MORE complicated way of making a copy.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since commercial Blu-ray and DVD are designed to impede copying, is it really surprising that there isn't some kind of stand-alone device for sale that automates the process of breaking every possible kind of copy protection used for these discs so it is easy to make copies of them?
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 9th Jul 2023 at 19:01. Reason: Fix typo
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not too surprising. If a manufacturer were to introduce something like that in the marketplace, producers & studios would immediately come down on them with the full force of the law, like a ton of bricks - shutting production down, confiscating stock, exorbitant fines. They may forgive small users or individuals, but they would consider something like that to be a direct assault on their cash cow property.

Scott
    Quote Quote