VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there, I've been sucessfully converting dozens of VHS tapes to MPEG-2 via PowerDirector and a USB Avermedia DVD Ezmaker; however, every once in awhile I get a gitter that gets baked into the native capture AVi. I think i've isolated the issue to random other programs that pop up during the capture and encoding process. Like my antivirus software, onedrive, random updates.

I was wondering if any of you have any tricks to "locking" out the system so nothing else pops up during these processes.

Or is this maybe a function of capturing to a 7200 RPM HDD with a 150 MB/s transfer rate?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    You can try raising the priority of the capture task in Task Manager. Sure, stopping unneeded processes helps, especially those that do disk indexing or scanning in the background. Task Manager can help identify the processes that hog the CPU or I/O.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Use a faster hard drive If you suspect that the transfer rate of your hard drive is causing issues, consider using a faster storage solution. An internal or external solid-state drive (SSD) typically offers faster transfer speeds compared to a traditional 7200 RPM HDD, which can help improve performance during the capture and encoding process.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jeby1980 View Post
    Hi there, I've been sucessfully converting dozens of VHS tapes to MPEG-2 via PowerDirector and a USB Avermedia DVD Ezmaker; however, every once in awhile I get a gitter that gets baked into the native capture AVi. I think i've isolated the issue to random other programs that pop up during the capture and encoding process. Like my antivirus software, onedrive, random updates.

I was wondering if any of you have any tricks to "locking" out the system so nothing else pops up during these processes.

Or is this maybe a function of capturing to a 7200 RPM HDD with a 150 MB/s transfer rate?
    Use SSD/NVME.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    150 MB/s transfer rate?
    Wow. Even Uncompressed 720x576 is only 38MB per second.

Power Director isn't converting to MPEG 2 on the fly, is it?
    Last edited by Alwyn; 7th Jul 2023 at 19:24. Reason: little mb changed to big MB
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Uncompressed 4:2:2yuv8bit 720x576@25fps is 166Mbps for the video alone. Not sure where you got 38, @Alwyn. Remember, compressed DV 4:2:0 is 25Mbps.

Uncompressed SD video can push the limit on 7200rpm HDDs, if there are other processes going on. As already mentioned, easy answer: use SSDs/nvme. But also, check your codec & its bitrate. I recommend you use a lossless, or virtually lossless intermediate codec for capture, editing, archiving.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bits verses bytes? Clearly, while DV is 25Mb/sec of something, it is not 1,500MB per minute or 90GB per hour, which is what we all use for size on the disk.

HDDs are normally advertised at MB per sec, and Windows shows MB for transfer speed.

My uncompressed capture shows 333Mb/sec in Mediainfo (50fps), but the file size, for 1 minute, is only 2.3GB. That equates to a data rate of 38MB/sec.

There is no way SD/VHS video is 150MB/sec.
    Last edited by Alwyn; 26th Jul 2023 at 00:36.
    Quote Quote  
  8. The "bandwidth" of my 7200rpm hard drive is about 150MB/s. That's not the capture rate. fwiw, Blackmagicdesign disk speed test is very useful.

I'm capturing in media director to an avi.

I keep a pretty close eye on task manager and I really dont think either my hard drive or CPU are anywhere near maxed out. CPU and GPU are only around 10% utilized during capture; it just seems like any sudden blip in activity in the system is enough to make the avi capture studder. Malwarebytes anti virus seems to be the worst offender.
    Last edited by jeby1980; 10th Jul 2023 at 08:30.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Fwiw, all capture jitter problems solved by upgrading the system 7200rpm hdd to a ssd.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Bits verses bytes? Clearly, while DV is 25mb/sec of something
    It is about 29 Mb/s. Notice "M" for mega, not "m" for milli. Neither "mb" nor "mB" makes sense.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You must be bored, Bwaak ; I wrote that 3 weeks ago. It was a typo which I have corrected.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Fwiw, when capturing to 640x480 avi, it is hitting the hard drive at 17.8MB/s.

This is well within the limits of a hdd, however i suspect there is some sort of peak limit going on when another program fires up.
    Quote Quote