VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi... I want to try to restore the first series of The Simpsons, because I don't like the Disney+ restored version, but in the first 3/4 seasons there are various pulsing problems. I have tried with Checkmate and QTGMC, but I can't resolve this. Can you help me to understand what I have to use for this problem and what is this problem name (probably flickering)?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tnnVXDtvuxlEM7yVijRyAyA0IR8Jrdsm/view?usp=sharing

You can see that the details in the background and in the face are pulsing.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I noticed that there is a period of about 12 frames where an edge will be up for 6 frames then down for 6 frames. So taking every 6the frame of the source will give lines that bump up and down every frame. QTGMC(InputType=2) is good at removing the up/down bounce with every frame (typically from simple bob deinterlace). So:

Code:
    LWLibavVideoSource("Pulsing.mkv") 

# stabilize the film bounce first
    Stab(dxmax=2, dymax=2, mirror=15)

# build a map of horizontal edges
    hzedges=Sharpen(0.0, 1.0).mt_edge(mode="-1 -1 -1 1 1 1 0 0 0", thy1=20, thy2=20).mt_expand(chroma="-128").Blur(1.0)

r0 = SelectEvery(6,0).QTGMC(InputType=2, Sharpness=0.0)
    r1 = SelectEvery(6,1).QTGMC(InputType=2, Sharpness=0.0)
    r2 = SelectEvery(6,2).QTGMC(InputType=2, Sharpness=0.0)
    r3 = SelectEvery(6,3).QTGMC(InputType=2, Sharpness=0.0)
    r4 = SelectEvery(6,4).QTGMC(InputType=2, Sharpness=0.0)
    r5 = SelectEvery(6,5).QTGMC(InputType=2, Sharpness=0.0)
    steady = Interleave(r0, r1, r2, r3, r4, r5).QTGMC(InputType=2)

# QTGMC introduces some ghosting, limiting the heavy processing to just around horizontal edges removes a lot of that
    Overlay(last, steady, mask=hzedges)

# a strong temporal noise reduction filter removes most of the remaining ghosting and flicker
    SMDegrain(thsad=1000, tr=6, PreFilter=0)
    The string temporal filtering might cause problems in some panning shots.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  3. Regarding the above script: If you want less filtering of the main video apply SMDegrain only to the "steady" clip.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Wow Jagabo, you are the master at this.

Another question out of this problem.

What is the best media player for seeing the real video file (a strange question, I know). I can explain, I finished a file and until Yesterday, I was very happy of the result but... Today I opened the file with VLC and the file is very dark. My default media player is MPC-BE, but at this point I don't know if is reliable for opening video edited files. Now, tell me please, between mpc-be and vlc, who give the real vision of the file?
    Quote Quote  
  5. It depends on the player's settings. Pretty much all players can be set up for correct or incorrect playback. Here's the video I uploaded above played in MPC-BE, MPC-HC, and VLC:

[Attachment 72236 - Click to enlarge]

They're all the same.

Are you working with HDR video?
    Last edited by jagabo; 4th Jul 2023 at 08:08.
    Quote Quote