VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys first excuse me my english because is not my first language but Iエm doing my best, I tell you I have my legal collection of Bluray movies, that I so need to make a backup but I want to do is using Handbrake convert all movies with Placebo in CRF and Two passes mode, I so want to get the most amazing quality but obviously keepig the minimun possible size

I donエt know what CRF to choose? and in Two passes I donエt know how to choose the biltrate because calculators here doesnエt support DTS, Atmos, etc so I canエt know the final biltrate, please could you helping me?

Thank you in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you are talking about x264+placebo, I would not use that, it is a waste of electric and time, same goes for x265 and frankly any encoder's max settings.

I consider svt-av1 10-bit to be the best encoder currently available and I have posted numerous tests on this forum. If you want the "best" quality from a psychological standpoint, i.e. your mind just thinks it's the best due to the settings, you could try x265 4:4:4 12-bit encoding or svt-av1 10-bit with 16-bit internal encoding.

I would not use Handbrake in these cases, I would use Hybrid, maybe try some filtering.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    If you are talking about x264+placebo, I would not use that, it is a waste of electric and time, same goes for x265 and frankly any encoder's max settings.

I consider svt-av1 10-bit to be the best encoder currently available and I have posted numerous tests on this forum. If you want the "best" quality from a psychological standpoint, i.e. your mind just thinks it's the best due to the settings, you could try x265 4:4:4 12-bit encoding or svt-av1 10-bit with 16-bit internal encoding.

I would not use Handbrake in these cases, I would use Hybrid, maybe try some filtering.
    Thank you sophisticles i really do, but if you dont mind I preffer keep on Handbrake and if just can tell me you and someone what and how to do that I posted
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please, anyone?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by BlurayHD View Post
    to get the most amazing quality but obviously keepig the minimun possible size
    If it was a consensus, that setting would have a golden button in Handbrake and folks would just click that and done. Nobody knows what is the threshold for "amazing quality", in unknown video watching on unknown device from an unknown distance with an unknown human vision quality.
    You are on your own, encode 10 movies with CRF 18 perhaps some slower settings as a maximum if not just default medium and if that would work for you, try 10 movies with CRF 19. Keep this pattern, check video sizes as well and you would find out your "amazing quality/size" for yourself.
    Also, to back up your movies and encode 2pass is a nonsense. Use CRF.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi I致e just tried using handbrake to rip my dvds to my laptop the video looks fine when i download it but when i play it i get sound but the video is just a green and black screen does anyone know what I知 doing wrong and how to fix it
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you want an encode that's compatible with your TV and other external devices, or just play on the PC?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by charlie1980 View Post
    Hi I致e just tried using handbrake to rip my dvds to my laptop the video looks fine when i download it but when i play it i get sound but the video is just a green and black screen does anyone know what I知 doing wrong and how to fix it
    To diagnose, the least you should post is the HB log, perhaps even some small clips of the source and encode
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi I知 new to this so I知 not sure what you mean by hb log or source or encode I just want it so I can play it on either my laptop or tv
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi I知 new to this so I知 not sure what you mean by hb log or source or encode I just want it so I can play it on either my laptop or tv
    Are you ripping from commercial DVD's? Did you remove the encryption and copy protections?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I amd trying to rip commercial dvds and i downloaded a file called libdvd that was suggested in a video on YouTube to get past copyright
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I amd trying to rip commercial dvds and i downloaded a file called libdvd that was suggested in a video on YouTube to get past copyright
    Sounds like it's not working ...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try to decrypt using DVD Decrypter. It is a very old application but still works. You might have a difficulty finding it these days. Beware of viruses if you find a download site.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    You might have a difficulty finding it these days. Beware of viruses if you find a download site.
    It's right here at Videohelp in the software section
    Quote Quote  
  15. i didn;t think handbrake removed encryption, use make mkv then if necessary use handbrake from the resulting mkv to downsize.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote