VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm asking for assistance in finding the English subtitle for Opera Australia The Mikado 2011 which features Mitchell Butel.

The only active source that was shared with me was a version with Dutch subs. I'm thinking that English subs are out there
    but have had no luck for a find and don't know where to look beyond opensubtitles.com
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The chances of finding subtitles for operas from the internet is zero. They are not in high demand like movies or TV shows.
    Unless this specific opera was sold at the time in DVD or Blu Ray and the studio included subtitles in the media.
    The only possible way for you is to create the subtitles using Whisper AI, which you are already familiar with I think.
    My advise is to transcribe the audio and NOT translate it during the process. This way you can check the original vocals text in English and correct any errors, and only then translate using SubtitleEdit.
    I have made subtitles of operas with Whisper AI with amazing success. Mainly because operas have good sound (vocals) quality and they have only few short pauses.

Sorry I just read your post again. If you have Dutch sub then you can easily translate it to English using SubtitlesEdit. Are they hardcoded subtitles embedded in the video or you have *.srt file?
    Last edited by Subtitles; 24th Jun 2023 at 13:14.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One thing that puzzles me. Why do you require English subs ? Gilbert and Sullivan were English and their opereta are typically performed in English (especially in Australia)
    Quote Quote  
  4. On the subs, they are very popular as an addition not only for hearing impaired (HI) but also for viewing late at night
    in an place where noise is an issue (apartments etc.) Never mind the earbud, I can't stand that.

Not looking exclusively on the internet since these Opera Australia performances (there are a number) were released to DVD.
    So an extractable sub from the disc or possibly "surtitile" made for opera which displays in real time for the live audience is likely available. I don't think surtitles are written as the play progresses.

If you want to see what the surtitles look like, there's a joke about them in this four minute clip from
    the play sub I'm trying to get-- however only the clip is out on youtube not the whole show.

In these kinds of shows you can miss a lot without being able to read along. The Yt includes that in the 'see more' drop down which someone gracious transcribed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NLV24qTnlg&list=RD1NLV24qTnlg&start_radio=1&ab_channe...OperaAustralia

so the 'scanlation' full of inaccuracies is avoided.

cheers.
    Last edited by loninappleton; 24th Jun 2023 at 17:14.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    One thing that puzzles me. Why do you require English subs ? Gilbert and Sullivan were English and their opereta are typically performed in English (especially in Australia)
    Many of us suffer from age related hearing loss (me I'm 85) so even though we may know an opera it's nice to have the words. Also if you have attended the Opera season at Sydney Opera House you would have noticed we always have Surtitles displayed at the top of the proscenium. Also on broadcasts via Australian Broadcasting Corporation TV subs are always available whether from the Opera House or Opera on the Harbour (very popular and is always a sell out).

Also https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=220783987994189&id=139825912698553&p=0
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I apologise. I was never intending to question anyone's abilitiy to hear the words. I myself only have minimal hearing - 100% loss in one ear after an op and require an aide in the other.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This opera is available on Amazon in DVD sung in English with English, Spanish, French, German and Italian subtitles. It only costs $50
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	The Mikado 2011.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	71997  

Quote Quote  
  8. OP wrote

The only active source that was shared with me was a version with Dutch subs.

Is it not possible to do a Dutch to English language conversion?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jack_666 View Post
    OP wrote

Depends on the format. If it is srt then SubtitleEdit can do Dutch > English translation but if it is hardcoded into the video then it takes a very long time.
    Last edited by Subtitles; 26th Jun 2023 at 04:28.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jack_666 View Post
    OP wrote

Sorry for not answering and closing this.... hardcoded and it's just an ask for any subs out there. I'm not going to spend any dough on it. It may very likely turn up in an opera enthusiast group.
    Quote Quote