VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. I’m trying to capture vhs tapes to AVI to encode them later. My capture card is GV-USB2 and I have an SVideo coming out of the camcorder. However, when I open the saved AVI file on Adobe Premiere, it says that it’s a 720x480, 59.94fps progressive format instead of interlaced. Why? I’m using both VirtualDub software with the Lagarith Lossless Codec and the AmarecTV with the same codec and Adobe Premiere recognize the AVI files as progressive. Shouldn’t they be interlaced? I’m confused.
    Quote Quote  
  2. avi don't have a flag to specify whether it's interlaced or progressive, so basically adobe premiere sees it as progressive yet it's interlaced (assuming you really captured interlaced). You have to manually change it. I'm not familiar with adobe to help further.
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. GV-USB2 can capture interlaced, definitely.
    Upload a short sample with motion so we can confirm what it is.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The GV-USB2 definitely does capture Interlaced. You can easily tell by stepping through a scene with movement in VDub. If you see jagged edges, it's interlaced.

As a further test/confirmation, in VDub, make sure you have both panes displayed View>Pane Layout.

Open the Deinterlace filter (Video>Filters) and set it to Yadif, Double Frame Rate, TFF (Top Field First, which is what the GV is outputting). Now step through your video. It should be smooth.

Now, change the Field order to BFF and step through. You'll get backwards-forwards motion, indicating that the field order is incorrect. That shows that your video is Interlaced.

Premiere is incorrectly diagnosing the video. Mind you, apparently analogue AVIs of this nature have very little in their metadata to tell other programs what's in them. For example, there is no aspect ratio flag.
    Last edited by Alwyn; 20th Jun 2023 at 22:24.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    GV-USB2 can capture interlaced, definitely.
    Upload a short sample with motion so we can confirm what it is.
    Here it is. Thank you.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Definitely Interlaced. You can clearly see the interlace jaggies, and doing the test I described above in VDub show strong backward-forward movement with BFF.

Premiere's got it wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    The GV-USB2 definitely does capture Interlaced. You can easily tell by stepping through a scene with movement in VDub. If you see interlacing/jagged edges, it's interlaced.

As a further test/confirmation, in VDub, make sure you have both panes displayed View>Pane Layout.

Open the Deinterlace filter (Video>Filters) and set it to Yadif, Double Frame Rate, TFF (Top Field First, which is what the GV is outputting). Now step through your video. It should be smooth.

Now, change the Field order to BFF and step through. You'll get backwards-forwards motion, indicating that the field order is incorrect. That shows that your video is Interlaced.

Premiere is incorrectly diagnosing the video. Mind you, apparently analogue AVIs of this nature have very little in their metadata to tell other programs what's in them. For example, there is no aspect ratio flag.
    I uploaded a sample video on a reply above. The weird thing is that I see this backwards-forwards motion on both TFF and BFF. I do see that the filter actually does the job in deinterlacing it but i still get the jitter. Any ideas as to why?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Definitely Interlaced. You can clearly see the interlace jaggies, and doing the test I described above in VDub show strong backward-forward movement with BFF.

Premiere's got it wrong.
    I see that, but TFF also shows the backward forward movement when i play the frames one by one. This is a problem because my videos will not be smooth regardless of the field order. Not sure what's going on.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That is weird. It's not occurring here. I'm not getting any jittering either. I've used those deinterlacing settings (export out of VDub 2 as MP4, 720x540) and this is the result. How does it look jitter-wise?

Can you give us a sample of the jittering you're seeing?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And what program is giving you the jitters? If it's Premiere, considering that it can't read get Interlace status right, it could be misinterpreting the fields incorrectly as well.
    Quote Quote  
  11. You captured incorrectly. You need to cap 29.97 fps, not 59.94 fps. Fixed with AviSynth:

Code:
    LWLibavVideoSource("test2.avi") # get source, video only
    AssumeBFF()
    SelectEven() # discard odd frames
    ConvertToYV12(interlaced=true)
    QTGMC() # high quality deinterlace
    AudioDub(last, LWLibavAudioSource("test2.avi")) # add audio
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You captured incorrectly. You need to cap 29.97 fps, not 59.94 fps. Fixed with AviSynth:

Code:
    LWLibavVideoSource("test2.avi") # get source, video only
    AssumeBFF()
    SelectEven() # discard odd frames
    ConvertToYV12(interlaced=true)
    QTGMC() # high quality deinterlace
    AudioDub(last, LWLibavAudioSource("test2.avi")) # add audio
    Appreciate all of your responses. I captured using AmarecTV and this is the setting. I didn't see 29.97 fps listed so I chose 59.94 fps. Now I have two questions, why is 29.97 not listed in the settings and why the de-interlacing wouldn't work if I cap using 59.94?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-06-21 001652.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	71872  

Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    That is weird. It's not occurring here. I'm not getting any jittering either. I've used those deinterlacing settings (export out of VDub 2 as MP4, 720x540) and this is the result. How does it look jitter-wise?

Can you give us a sample of the jittering you're seeing?
    the jittering is not seen on playback as much but when you go frame by frame on VDub2 it's definitely there. I still see it on your file. On Jagabo's file however, the jittering disappeared so definitely what Jagabo did on fixing the fps worked. Now, I don't necessarily understand the why, so I'll wait for his response to my questions.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by lovethisnation View Post
    I captured using AmarecTV and this is the setting. I didn't see 29.97 fps listed so I chose 59.94 fps. Now I have two questions, why is 29.97 not listed in the settings and why the de-interlacing wouldn't work if I cap using 59.94?
    Go to the 'Recording' tab and select the codec there. Also, set the Frame rate there. Configure the codec by pressing the Setting button. Don't capture to RGB, use a YUV 4:2:2 format instead. The settings details depend on the used codec.

Just selecting 59.94 fps doesn't necessarily mean that a deinterlacer kicks in. It may simply repeat frames.

Also, double-check the 'Device Setting' in the 'Graph 1(Device)' tab.

Name:	amarec.png
Views:	39
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	71879  

Last edited by Sharc; 21st Jun 2023 at 04:08.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the jittering is not seen on playback as much but when you go frame by frame on VDub2 it's definitely there. I still see it on your file.
    Ignore mine; I didn't spot your source file was 59.94 so double frame rate deinterlace took it to 118.

I'm curious about how you can see jittering on a still frame?

The framerate setting is on the Graph1(Device) tab:
    [Attachment 71882 - Click to enlarge]

The Recording tab framerate should be set to 999 so the frame rate set on the Device tab is the one used (so Lollo says! )
    Last edited by Alwyn; 21st Jun 2023 at 06:16. Reason: Last line edited for clarity.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm still scratching my head over my settings. I am not showing the same settings that you guys are telling me to select. Here are the settings it shows for my capture device GV-USB2. fps 29.97 does not show on the list (see screenshot). Perhaps I don't have the correct driver installed?

Device Tab
    Input: S-Video
    Format: *w= 720, h= 480, fps=59.94, fcc=YUY2, bit=16 (because I don't have *w= 720, h= 480, fps=29.97, fcc=YUY2, bit=16 on the list)

Device Setting:
    2.S-Video
    Deinterlace: Weave (Off)
    Video Decoder: Video standard: NTSC_M

Recording Tab
    codec: LAGS, Mode YUY2
    Video File Setting: 999 FPS

Then jagabo said:
    You captured incorrectly. You need to cap 29.97 fps, not 59.94 fps.
    and I don't know why he said that because I don't even have an option to cap at 29.97 fps

Name:	Screenshot 2023-06-21 095149.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	71888  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-06-21 095242.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	71889  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-06-21 100425.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	71890  

Last edited by lovethisnation; 21st Jun 2023 at 09:30.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's weird! Here's my setup:

AmarecTV:

Graph1(device) tab> Device Settings button (note driver details at bottom):
    [Attachment 71891 - Click to enlarge]

Graph2(Preview) tab:
    [Attachment 71892 - Click to enlarge]

Windows Device Manager:
    [Attachment 71893 - Click to enlarge]

My GV-USB2 driver came from here:
    https://iotku.pw/gvusb2-guide/

Install the driver before before inserting the stick.

I am now wondering... try typing 29.97 in the frame rate box on the Recording tab.
    Last edited by Alwyn; 21st Jun 2023 at 09:53. Reason: Last line added.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I noticed you have an extra 2 entries "desktop capture" and "video capture" in the Video Capture device area. Not sure if they are causing the issue.

I suggest you reset Amarec back to defaults: in it's folder, delete the AmaRecTV.ini file and have another go. My full setup guide for AmarecTV is on my website.
    Last edited by Alwyn; 22nd Jun 2023 at 06:38.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You'll be getting sick of me posting. I'd never tried it before, but it appears you can manually set the framerate to 29.97 in the text field at the top of the Device tab. Change the framerate from 59.94 to 29.97 and see what capture you get.

[Attachment 71894 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  20. Note Alwyn's first image in post 17, Device Settings dialog from the Graph 1(device) tab:

It shows deinterlace method set to WEAVE. If you have it set to BOB try changing it to weave. That may enable all the 29.97 fps rates in the Graph 1(device) tab.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    That's weird! Here's my setup:

AmarecTV:

Graph1(device) tab> Device Settings button (note driver details at bottom):
    [Attachment 71891 - Click to enlarge]

Graph2(Preview) tab:
    [Attachment 71892 - Click to enlarge]

Windows Device Manager:
    [Attachment 71893 - Click to enlarge]

Install the driver before before inserting the stick.

I am now wondering... try typing 29.97 in the frame rate box on the Recording tab.

I definitely have another version of the same software installed because mine doesn't look like that. See photo.

try typing 29.97 in the frame rate box on the Recording tab.
    . I did that but that didn't seem to fix the issue, it keeps capturing at 59.94

That's where I grabbed mine. The driver I downloaded from the same page and it's the latest version. I have a Windows 10, 64 bit machine. I had to enter the SN on the website to download and it installed.

I might want to just try to capture in VDub2 and ignore AmarecTV, but I'm perplexed.

Name:	Screenshot 2023-06-21 124606_DriverSettings.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	71895  

Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search PM
    IDK whether AmarecTV is more reliable than vdub, I haven't used it, but I don't like its options' names, neither old nor new ones. Vdub is more straightforward and does not pretend to know more about your footage than you are. What's up with "Low motion" and "High motion" BS? What is stretch/fill/fit? Does it always use deinterlacer? Eh.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    and does not pretend to know more about your footage than you are. What's up with "Low motion" and "High motion" BS? What is stretch/fill/fit? Does it always use deinterlacer? Eh.
    Neither does AmarecTV. That setting is intrisic to I/OData GV-USB2.

This is the same device setting for another card, Hauppauge USB-Live 2.

[Attachment 71896 - Click to enlarge]

Do not comment on something you do not know.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by Bwaak View Post
    IDK whether AmarecTV is more reliable than vdub, I haven't used it, but I don't like its options' names, neither old nor new ones. Vdub is more straightforward and does not pretend to know more about your footage than you are. What's up with "Low motion" and "High motion" BS? What is stretch/fill/fit? Does it always use deinterlacer? Eh.
    It’s very confusing to say the least. I think I read though it is the recommended software for the gv-usb2 cap according to the website where you get the drivers from. But in any case, I haven’t found anyone having the same issue as mine of not seeing the options for 29.94 fps in the settings.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    and does not pretend to know more about your footage than you are. What's up with "Low motion" and "High motion" BS? What is stretch/fill/fit? Does it always use deinterlacer? Eh.
    Neither does AmarecTV. That setting is intrisic to I/OData GV-USB2.

Do not comment on something you do not know.
    Would you happen to know why I don’t get a full list of options with my GV-USB2? My whole issue started when I imported the captured file to Adobe Premier and I saw that it was progressive when it should have been interlaced. Based on prior posts now I know I should ignore the Adobe Premier info as they’re not necessarily accurate when it’s an analog capture. However, there was still something wrong with my file as other folks have pointed out that I selected the wrong format by capturing using 59.94 FPS instead of 29.94 FPS but 59.94 is the only option I see from the settings of my card! Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Difficult to debug, we're all able to capture interlaced with GV-USB2 and AmarecTV.

What I would do is to remove drivers and software and start from scratch. Follow the guide here https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/12986-amarectv-virtualdub-inserts.html or the guide from Alwin. Report any step here in term of images while implementing the setting, so we can help.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    This looks more traditional and easier to understand. Does the GV-USB2 have built-in deinterlacer? Why there is no "keep as is" option? Unless "weave" is used for keeping it as is, which to me does not sound right, but ok. Maybe there is a separate option to turn deinterlacing on or off?

Originally Posted by lovethisnation View Post
    Would you happen to know why I don’t get a full list of options with my GV-USB2?
    I wonder how does it look in VDub. Although if it is a native prop panel, I guess i looks the same as in AmarecTV?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Does the GV-USB2 have built-in deinterlacer?
    No. What is reported is the driver's setting for the bundle software, that nobody uses. USB-Live 2 also has its own "Hauppauge Capture" software (that nobody uses) and relative Wiondows register settings such as PAL/Secam, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @lovethisnation, I say again, delete AmarecTV.ini and restart it.

If that doesn't work, In Device Manager, "uninstall" the GV-USB 2, reboot your machine, then re-install the GV-USB2.

Originally Posted by Bwaak
    Are you for real??
    Last edited by Alwyn; 22nd Jun 2023 at 06:39.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Are you for real??
    I thought you are here to drop gold nuggets of advice, not to chat. But it is all good. I may be able to give you an answer if you phrase a meaningful question.
    Quote Quote