VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a UPS marketed by a local distributor called Advice Electronics a few years ago. I used it for a short time but in the end I put it back in the original box and forgot about it. These days we seem to have frequent power cuts as a result of heavy demands for electricity to operate air conditioners at homes.
    I wanted to check the UPS and to my disappointment the battery seems to be dead.
    My objective now is not to use the UPS to guard my computer but to use it to operate an AC ventilator if it gets too hot, perhaps for a period of one to two hours.
    As I have no idea what kind of battery this specific UPS has inside, I am just wondering if I can buy a replacement battery even with a smaller size (the UPS is quite heavy) so that I can use it for cooling.
    I am not going to contact the distributor because their batteries are not cheap.
    Another option is to buy an ebike battery as they seem to have a lot of power.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    I bought a UPS marketed by a local distributor called Advice Electronics a few years ago. I used it for a short time but in the end I put it back in the original box and forgot about it. These days we seem to have frequent power cuts as a result of heavy demands for electricity to operate air conditioners at homes.
    I wanted to check the UPS and to my disappointment the battery seems to be dead.
    My objective now is not to use the UPS to guard my computer but to use it to operate an AC ventilator if it gets too hot, perhaps for a period of one to two hours.
    As I have no idea what kind of battery this specific UPS has inside, I am just wondering if I can buy a replacement battery even with a smaller size (the UPS is quite heavy) so that I can use it for cooling.
    I am not going to contact the distributor because their batteries are not cheap.
    Another option is to buy an ebike battery as they seem to have a lot of power.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Verify if UPS produce true sine at the output - if not then it is not suitable for powering AC motors (unless AC motor is controlled by special power inverter like VFD). If you open UPS you will find what kind of battery is used there - go for same type or direct replacement - this should be straightforward repair (battery replacement).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The battery is probably replaceable. You should be able to find out what battery it is from the manual. The battery in my UPS is user-replaceable, which you'd probably expect, similar to alarms and stairlift batteries. What model is it?
    Quote Quote