VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have Windows 10 Pro and I am just wondering if I should install Windows 11 Pro on a new SSD with 1TB (received today) or keep Windows 10 Pro?
    I have to do a new clean install anyway, because I have all kind of problems so there is no point in just increasing the hard disk size as these problems would not go away.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No problems with Win 11 here. I think all my gadgets still work. I have butchered the interface by installing Openshell and Explorerpatcher, as well as killing the new right-click menu arrangement.

It has a nifty screen arranger at the top so that you can split your screen three equal ways.

Performance seems good.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, it's better then Windows 10.
    Quote Quote  
  4. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compare-windows-11-home-vs-pro-versions

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compare-windows-10-home-vs-pro

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compare-windows-11-home-vs-pro-versions

I run a dual boot of Win 10 Home and Gecko Rolling on my laptop, various Linux distros on my desktop and for my family members i only use Win 10 Home.

Most of the Win 10 Pro features are intended for corporate environments and are not worth the extra cost as far as I;m concerned.

I can't stand the Win 11 interface and since Win 10 works so well I have no intention of switching anytime soon.

@OP Since you mentioned you have been having problems with Win 10 and you feel like your best bet is a clean install, regardless of what you install, Win10/11, Home/Pro, create at least 2 accounts, the admin account and at least one standard user account.

Install the OS, create the accounts, then install all the software you want from within the admin account and you will install it for all users.

After this is done, only use the standard user account(s) on a daily basis and only use the admin account for administrative purposes.

If you ever have problems with the standard accounts, more likely than not the problems will be limited to the standard account and if all else fails you can just delete that account and create a new one, which will resolve the issue(s) without needing to reinstall.

I have been using this method since the Win XP days, it;s what is used in the corporate world and it works great.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you all for your valuable replies.
    This is an old PC that I intend to sell within few months and I thought having a Windows 11 on it might help me with the sale.
    Also it would be a good practice when I build a newer PC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Was going to post this earlier but because of F***ing google ads, I wasn't able to...

What I can see of Win11 after having worked with it for a year, is these are the differences:
    1. More security (drivers, BIOS, signing, device compatibility) - this is a sign of the times, so not only no surprises but to be expected, and in certain circumstances, REQUIRED.
    2. "Smoother" user interface (some of which has been waiting for a while, others I could care less) - users will like it, love it, hate it, depending on their priorities & workflow, but there's nothing demonstrably/objectively "worse" about it compared to 10, it's all subjective experience.
    3. Depending on settings, either somewhat slower or MUCH faster bootup, but after that, it seems noticeably faster than Win10 once everything's loaded & running.
    4. Other than very strange, fly-by-night or very old, legacy devices, it seems to have NO issues with device compatiblity.

Most of the FUD and the interface-nostalgia flaming is unwarranted.

At my University, we're pushing it to ALL the (hardware compatible-) instructor computers as of this summer.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Subtitles
    This is an old PC that I intend to sell within few months and I thought having a Windows 11 on it might help me with the sale.
    Be careful, Microsoft requires some reasonably modern TPM piece of kit integrated into the motherboard (can't remember what it stands for). You can do a test on your system to see if it will be upgradeable.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/windows-11-specifications
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Apparently my CPU on the old PC doesn't meet the Windows 11 requirements.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Fun Fact: Win11 works fine on PC's without TPM and in CSM mode (even UEFI is no required). Those requirements a lie!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    Read this:
    https://www.ghacks.net/2022/12/25/ventoy-1-0-86-bypass-windows-11-hardware-and-online-...ed-by-default/
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    Read this:
    https://www.ghacks.net/2022/12/25/ventoy-1-0-86-bypass-windows-11-hardware-and-online-...ed-by-default/
    Thanks, but I am going to keep working with Windows 10 Pro and just increase the SSD to 1TB instead of 500GB.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Windows 11 Home is awful.
    Windows 11 Pro is fine --- but yet more video hardware may fail to work correctly, or at all, and especially video capture.

I'm using it for a non-video system, and it seems to do what I need and want.
    It is the smartest Win OS yet, in my limited experience (using for less than 6 months). It "just found" our printers, and those are on Linux boxes. It's the first time I didn't have to manually install, or even force, the printers.

I'm still vanilla, but will try to restore a few annoyances, like grouping on task bar, and no right-click menu on task bar.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote