VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi, does anyone know what the hard drive type is for a Toshiba Satellite L50D B 151?. I am needing to remove the hard drive from my Toshiba laptop to access the data from it and view on another computer. The laptop still works but the power cord has broken and isn't worth bothering getting it repaired as it's a pretty old laptop and the left side has suffered damage due to being dropped, which has likely put strain on the power cord hence why it has been pulled off the wire inside, and wire is hard to reach unless I pull the casing apart top and bottom. I'm guessing I need a SATA enclosure?. Removing the drive seems pretty straightforward.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Probably yes, it looks like common SATA HDD - in device manager information about HDD model should be available - if notebook still working then this is probably fastest way to get this info, if not you can normally remove HDD - there should be some easily accessible cover plate over HDD - at least in my Lenovo special marks with HDD ideograms allow to easily locate screws required to be removed to expose HDD (unless this is subnotebook where HDD replacement is not possible without opening full enclosure).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's a regular SATA drive and here's a video showing how to get to it.

You don't know a full enclosure. A SATA to USB to adapter will do.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the info. When I remove the HDD, place in into the enclosure and connect to another PC/laptop, would all the files that are on the HDD be viewable/readable or would it only be certain files stored in certain folders on the HDD?. Hopefully I can access and retrieve/copy over the files I want to the other computer. Can the HDD then be removed from the enclosure and be placed back into the laptop?. As I said, the laptop still works as does the processor and operating system just that the power cable jack as broken off, and I don't think I could repair it myself by soldering it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You will have access to all the files that are in the HDD including the operating system. You can select to show hidden files as well.
    But if you connect it to a different laptop, it will not work. Only on the original laptop.
    Another thought is that you can connect it to a different laptop using a USB connector and copy all the relevant files, to act as an external hard drive, but not as the main HDD.
    Last edited by Subtitles; 6th Jun 2023 at 09:33.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    You will have access to all the files that are in the HDD including the operating system. You can select to show hidden files as well.
    But if you connect it to a different laptop, it will not work. Only on the original laptop.
    Another thought is that you can connect it to a different laptop using a USB connector and copy all the relevant files, to act as an external hard drive, but not as the main HDD.
    So what would be the point in using an enclosure to place the HDD drive into when the files on it cannot be viewed/accessed through another laptop?.

How would you connect using a USB wire?. Would this work if the power cable jack is broken and you can't power up (unless using a battery)?. I think the only way is to just repair the broken power jack port so access the files.

I have another laptop (an Acer Aspire running on Vista) and the machine stopped working awhile back, pretty much dead but still alot of files on the HDD (though not important really to me), so how would the files be accessed on that if it the laptop no longer works? (it boots up but I just keep getting a system repair message appear but nothing else happens, doesn't load windows).
    Last edited by techmot; 6th Jun 2023 at 10:51.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "it will not work" probably needs clarification. It will not function as an operating system/start Windows on the other laptop. You will have access to every file on it, including OS. I am not familiar with it but Windows Bitlocker, I believe, locks drives and everything on them if it has been enabled, even when the drive is out of the computer.

Having been through the purchase of a external enclosure/caddy, if you intend buying one, I suggest you try to avoid those stupid double-banger USB sockets/plugs (as shown in the above link) and go for a standard USB3 USB-A, or a USB3 USB-C socket on the box. That will reduce the types of USB cables you'll have to lug around. Example:

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/simplecom-se221-aluminium-25-sata-hddssd-usb31-enclos...-black-ac29973
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by techmot View Post
    Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    So what would be the point in using an enclosure to place the HDD drive into when the files on it cannot be viewed/accessed through another laptop?.

How would you connect using a USB wire?. Would this work if the power cable jack is broken and you can't power up (unless using a battery)?. I think the only way is to just repair the broken power jack port so access the files.
    The UGREEN enclosure comes with a USB cable and you can use the whole thing as an external HDD to connect it to another laptop assuming it has a spare USB connector.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    "it will not work" probably needs clarification. It will not function as an operating system/start Windows on the other laptop. You will have access to every file on it, including OS. I am not familiar with it but Windows Bitlocker, I believe, locks drives and everything on them if it has been enabled, even when the drive is out of the computer.

Having been through the purchase of a external enclosure/caddy, if you intend buying one, I suggest you try to avoid those stupid double-banger USB sockets/plugs (as shown in the above link) and go for a standard USB3 USB-A, or a USB3 USB-C socket on the box. That will reduce the types of USB cables you'll have to lug around. Example:

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/simplecom-se221-aluminium-25-sata-hddssd-usb31-enclos...-black-ac29973
    Thanks for clarifying that. Yes I only want to access the files on the HDD and not use or access the operating system, obviously it won't do that. So I need a standard USB3, USB-A or USB3-C socket. I know what you mean about those double banger plug type sockets. No idea about Bitlocker and no idea if it has been enabled to lock drives when removed.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM

I have another laptop (an Acer Aspire running on Vista) and the machine stopped working awhile back, pretty much dead but still alot of files on the HDD (though not important really to me), so how would the files be accessed on that if it the laptop no longer works? (it boots up but I just keep getting a system repair message appear but nothing else happens, doesn't load windows).
    Use the same enclosure to access the Acer HDD data files.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post

Use the same enclosure to access the Acer HDD data files.
    That's what I was thinking. Is any recommended ones I can buy from ebay rather than amazon?.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are in the UK so any computer shop should have a 2.5" enclosure. Buy it if you are in a hurry. If you can wait about 2 weeks, buy directly from Aliexpress UGREEN shop. You get a better price than eBay (with shops in China). I bought about 10 enclosures and they are excellent and good value for money.
    BTW if you want your laptop to perform much better (assuming you fix the power jack), then clone the HDD to an SSD, preferably with the same size.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    2.5" drives don't require an additional power supply. They usually can run the 5V USB power only. However, there is a caveat. 4TB+ (and possibly 3TB) drives will require USB 3.x or USB-C because they provide more amperage, 900mA vs USB 2.0, 500mA that's required because of the increased number of platters (3-5).*

*An external 2.5" drive that isn't getting enough power may may continually click or continually spinup and spindown, never being recognized. You can use a Y-splitter as recommended below and use two USB ports for the required additional amperage.

Which leads to a few other things you should keep in your PC toolkit:

- 15mm USB enclosure for 3TB+ drives. 2.5" drives range from 7mm to 15mm height. The greater height cases are required because larger drives require more platters. 2.5" hard drives max out at 5TB, 15mm.

- USB Y-cable and male to male extension cable to allow you to use two ports for additional power (amperage) by larger drives, 3TB+ drives. The extension cable is because USB ports next to each other may be bridged internally.

- SATA to USB adapter for temporary connection of 2.5" and 3.5" drives. Be sure to get one with the additional 12V power connector/supply, because 3.5" drives requires that additional power https://www.amazon.com/s?k=SATA+to+USB

So it powers on, but you aren't able to access Windows? If so, use a Live Linux distro. I like Knoppix https://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html. Install it to a flash drive and boot from there. Your hard drive should be automatically recognized.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    You are in the UK so any computer shop should have a 2.5" enclosure. Buy it if you are in a hurry. If you can wait about 2 weeks, buy directly from Aliexpress UGREEN shop. You get a better price than eBay (with shops in China). I bought about 10 enclosures and they are excellent and good value for money.
    BTW if you want your laptop to perform much better (assuming you fix the power jack), then clone the HDD to an SSD, preferably with the same size.
    Not many computer shops around in the UK much now, many of the smaller shops have closed, lots of mobile repair shops though, then there's Curry's PC World which will be expensive for something like an enclosure. I'm not in a big hurry really.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    2.5" drives don't require an additional power supply. They usually can run the 5V USB power only. However, there is a caveat. 4TB+ (and possibly 3TB) drives will require USB 3.x or USB-C because they provide more amperage, 900mA vs USB 2.0, 500mA that's required because of the increased number of platters (3-5).*

*An external 2.5" drive that isn't getting enough power may may continually click or continually spinup and spindown, never being recognized. You can use a Y-splitter as recommended below and use two USB ports for the required additional amperage.

- 15mm USB enclosure for 3TB+ drives. 2.5" drives range from 7mm to 15mm height. The greater height cases are required because larger drives require more platters. 2.5" hard drives max out at 5TB, 15mm.

- USB Y-cable and male to male extension cable to allow you to use two ports for additional power (amperage) by larger drives, 3TB+ drives. The extension cable is because USB ports next to each other may be bridged internally.

- SATA to USB adapter for temporary connection of 2.5" and 3.5" drives. Be sure to get one with the additional 12V power connector/supply, because 3.5" drives requires that additional power https://www.amazon.com/s?k=SATA+to+USB

So it powers on, but you aren't able to access Windows? If so, use a Live Linux distro. I like Knoppix https://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html. Install it to a flash drive and boot from there. Your hard drive should be automatically recognized.
    Thanks for that, but that method seems quite complicated for me. The only other issue with the Acer laptop is that the screen went dark, no idea why but could be a loose connection, but under direct light the image can be visible (only faintly though). I used to have the Acer hooked up to a Dell CRT monitor but decided to get rid of it as I had no use or room for it (wasn't a rare model).
    Last edited by techmot; 6th Jun 2023 at 13:40.
    Quote Quote  
  16. only reason to get enclosure is if you plan on making it an external drive, if you only need it to transfer files to new laptop then none is needed.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by lingyi View Post

The HDD drive is 1TB (for the Toshiba laptop), so presumably it doesn't need additional power.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not many computer shops around in the UK much now, many of the smaller shops have closed, lots of mobile repair shops though, then there's Curry's PC World which will be expensive for something like an enclosure. I'm not in a big hurry really.
    Sorry to hear that. Can you order from AliExpress? They have improved their shipment time, at least to my country now 7-10 days. Here is the link if that helps.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32815404045.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main....7f321802OOdaJm
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Can you order from AliExpress? They have improved their shipment time, at least to my country now 7-10 days. Here is the link if that helps.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32815404045.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main....7f321802OOdaJm
    There are some but not many. I have since checked my nearest repair shop and on their website it says they charge:

Power Jack Replacement (cabled) £55.00
    Replacement of a cabled power jack.

Power Jack Replacement (Soldered) £70.00
    Replacement of a soldered power jack.

I don't think they'd be much point in getting it fixed as it seems rather expensive. I've watched videos of people doing DIY repairs and soldering the cable, but I don't want to risk damaging the laptop anymore as the left side where the power jack is located the casing is bent due to an accident a few years ago (which got worse when it got damaged further due to the bag it was in slammed to the ground), plus I wouldn't have a clue what to do anyway. I wouldn't trust some videos on youtube as some people clearly don't know what they are doing, like people glueing the cable lol.

The use of an enclosure isn't a problem as (hopefully) I can access the files from the HDD, but obviously previously installed programmes would need to be reinstalled again on another laptop.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Kinda off topic slightly, but on the laptop I have that has the power jack broken, and assuming I just use an enclosure to retrieve and copy the files to another computer, how do I install Whatsapp messenger again but transfer all of the contracts etc?. The reason I ask this is because I use Whatsapp only through a Windows PC and not via a smartphone (using an APK through Bluestacks), but when I open the the apk there is no login required. When I installed the apk last night on my sons laptop it asked for my phone number (which it did when I using it on my other laptop originally) but I had to reinstall all my contacts over again. I don't know why Whatsapp does this for. Is there any of transffering the data from it so that I don't have to add contacts all over again?. I know this is probably a topic for a different thread but thought I'd mention it regards to the HDD.
    Last edited by techmot; 7th Jun 2023 at 07:02.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BTW instead of using an enclosure, you can use a SATA to USB adapter which would do the job and it is a cheaper solution.
    The advantage of the enclosure is that it keeps your HDD relatively safe.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BTW instead of using an enclosure, you can use a SATA to USB adapter which would do the job and it is a cheaper solution.
    It's not cheaper here. The enclosures are cheaper.

I would suggest an enclosure; you can then use it as a backup HDD/SSD. We all have backups of our stuff, don't we?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post

I would suggest an enclosure; you can then use it as a backup HDD/SSD. We all have backups of our stuff, don't we?
    I would say too an enclosure would be better, not sure if cheaper where I am considering using an adapter has the HDD exposed isn't a good thing really.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do apologise, I was looking at the powered external adapters (they have power for 3.5" drives). The unpowered adapters (2.5" drives only) are a few dollars cheaper than a USB-C USB 3 enclosure.

Originally Posted by Techmot
    I am considering using an adapter has the HDD exposed isn't a good thing really.
    For a once-off task, OK, but I agree, not as a regular thing.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post

I would say too an enclosure would be better, not sure if cheaper where I am considering using an adapter has the HDD exposed isn't a good thing really.
    As long as you don't get the drive wet, you're fine. Most enclosures actually cause the drive to heat up more. Not an issue for 2.5" drives, but if you get a 3.5" drive, be sure to get one with an internal fan and ideally an aluminum case of better cooling. The 3.5" manufacturer externals from WD and Seagate are notorious for poor cooling because the cases are cheap and poorly designed. Drives typically run in the 50's C. Which is within operating temps, but cooler is always better for most electronics. I have two 8TB Seagate externals that ran in the low 50's C, but dropped to the mid 30's C when I had an small fan blowing through the vents.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Pity that my Toshiba laptop's power jack has broken because I've had it since about 2015 and the performance as regards to playback of video files and browsing videos online is outstanding IMO, but that's likely because of the 8GB ram. Using my sons Lenovo Win 11 Ideapad and watching youtube through the Microsoft Edge browser the videos seem to lag and stutter especially when I move the cursor across the screen or when a message pops up on whatsapp you hear a crackling sound and the image stutters. Never once had this on the Toshiba, only with above 1080p videos does it stutter but not even when I move the cursor or another programme is running. Pity really cos I've just ordered the same Ideapad as a secondary laptop lol. Maybe it's the browser, but I would've thought 4GB ram would be ok. Anything upwards of 8GB ram now seem to be expensive, around the £400 mark, yet my Toshiba cost about £240.00. Even my older Acer laptop (can't remember what ram it had but don't think it had 8GB on it) performed much better than the Lenovo Ideapad.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post

As long as you don't get the drive wet, you're fine. Most enclosures actually cause the drive to heat up more. Not an issue for 2.5" drives, but if you get a 3.5" drive, be sure to get one with an internal fan and ideally an aluminum case of better cooling. The 3.5" manufacturer externals from WD and Seagate are notorious for poor cooling because the cases are cheap and poorly designed. Drives typically run in the 50's C. Which is within operating temps, but cooler is always better for most electronics. I have two 8TB Seagate externals that ran in the low 50's C, but dropped to the mid 30's C when I had an small fan blowing through the vents.
    I have two external HDDs, one 1 a Seagate and the other a WD, not had any problems with cooling.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Heat lowers the longevity of most electronics and mechanical devices, which hard drives are both. Running drives cooler will likely extend their useable life.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Would it be easy to repair the broken jack?. Lots of videos showing how to remove the back and front casing, but it seems rather tricky to repair the wire connected to the power jack. £70 for a shop repair seems expensive, luckily though they won't charge if they can't fix it.
    Quote Quote