VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Indeed £70 is expensive I think you can use the money to help you pay for part of the cost of a new laptop in the future.
    How are you powering the laptop now if the jack is broken? The battery must be discharged by now.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    Indeed £70 is expensive I think you can use the money to help you pay for part of the cost of a new laptop in the future.
    How are you powering the laptop now if the jack is broken? The battery must be discharged by now.
    I'm not because the battery doesn't work. Before the side of the laptop got damaged further the laptop would keep shutting down, which was partly due to the power supply cable being broken, so I then bought a replacement (non Toshiba) power supply online, however, the battery would work for awhile but then shut down when not connected to the mains, so I just removed the battery altogether but this resulted in when it was booting up having to set the date and time before Windows loaded up. I could just buy a new battery, but without the power jack repaired there's probably no point. An enclosure would probably be the only option unless I could repair it myself, but otherwise I would have to reinstall all my programs again.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried checking the price of your laptop Toshiba Satellite L50D B 151 on eBay? You might find a good deal and your HDD might work there if it is the same spec (but you must backup everything first).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thought things couldn't get worse with my laptops. I had bought a Lenovo Ideapad a few days ago and it arrived yesterday. It's only cheap spec model but does the job for me for now while I get my Toshiba sorted or another laptop altogether. I am not keen on Windows 11 (or 11s) as I can't be doing with all this security stuff, and tbh I don't trust anything like that especially where Microsoft is concerned. I had switched off the private security feature as it would only allow me to download and install apps/programs from the Microsoft Store. But anyway, after completing all of the installation process I was able to use the machine and all seemed good. After using it for fo most the day I placed the laptop into my bag (not a laptop back though) with a few things inside, but the laptop was protected and I had placed it back in the plastic cover it came when within the box. After going back with it to a family members house, I switched the machine on and the "Lenovo" logo appeared and a log in screen where I had to type in the PIN number which I had created when installing, but after this the screen just went black and nothing happened, waited awhile but nothing, even when I retyped the PIN nothing happened just a black screen, though at one point an advertisement notification popped up which meant (I presume) that Windows had loaded. The PIN I typed in must've been correct as when I tried a different set of numbers it would say I entered the wrong PIN, I got the impression I had somehow broken the machine (maybe through weight with other things on top of it, thought these weren't heavy?), maybe in the bag it was in, or maybe it's a faulty machine, but it was working perfectly fine before that. If the screen had malfunctioned/broken then I wouldn't have been able to get anything, would I?.

Edit: just discovered it was still updating Windows. Why it just displayed a blank/black screen I do not know as I've never seen that before on any computer I have, but eventually it displayed an updating message.
    Last edited by techmot; 9th Jun 2023 at 10:22.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    Have you tried checking the price of your laptop Toshiba Satellite L50D B 151 on eBay? You might find a good deal and your HDD might work there if it is the same spec (but you must backup everything first).
    Do you mean buy an identical Toshiba Satellite and the take the HDD out and replaced it with my old HDD?.
    Edit: Just checked ebay but nothing, just replacement batteries and parts. I can imagine someone selling a used one would be wanting silly money. I've noticed 8gb RAM laptops seem to be quite expensive now, none of the big retailers in the UK seem to sell them, they're mostly 4GB ram with really small HDDs with crappy Windows 11. I've noticed also very few laptops with CD/DVD drives/writers and I mean the 15" models. Luckily I still have my external DVD writer.
    Last edited by techmot; 9th Jun 2023 at 09:13.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by techmot View Post
    Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    Do you mean buy an identical Toshiba Satellite and the take the HDD out and replaced it with my old HDD?.
    Yes, but use a cloned disk preferably SSD with the same size using Macrium Reflect (free for private use) and preferably from the UK so that you would have English keyboard.
    Not sure how many apps you need to install in case you use a different laptop, but if you want to save time then this might work. No guarantee of course.
    Be very careful with your current HDD. if you insert it in a different machine, it could get corrupted.
    You still need to buy a HDD enclosure, one or two.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Does anyone also know how it's possible to copy all of the data from my Whatsapp and other app data that is on my Toshiba laptop without needed to reinstall and created a new Whatsapp account and then add all of the contacts again?. I am using Whatsapp via an apk using Bluestacks, but for some reason (though it does the same via a smartphone) it doesn't require a log-in but just a phone number, and once that's done when I click on Bluestacks and then click on the Whatsapp icon Whatsapp just loads, but since I'm unable to access my Toshiba then it means I have create a new Whatsapp (and also other apps I downloaded via Bluestacks) all again, which would make it confusing to my contacts why I would be requesting their numbers again. I know when I created it initially it asked for a verification number or something like, but Whatsapp (or Bluestacks) doesn't ask for this. I'm not upto speed with apps anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried installing Whatsapp Desktop from the Microsoft shop? You don't need Bluestacks APK I think
    Quote Quote  
  9. [QUOTE=Subtitles;2693152]Have you tried installing Whatsapp Desktop from the Microsoft shop? You don't need Bluestacks APK I think[/QUOTE

No, I don't like using the Microsoft shop because you need to sign in to it. What I was meaning was copying my existing Whatsapp account over, but as I said there is no sign in like there would be with other messenger services (I haven't used any others for a long time). I downloaded Whatsapp on my sons laptop but I had to add all of my contacts again, but now I've a new laptop but now I will have to add my contacts numbers all over again. Other contacts I have are people I don't know personally, so they would be wondering why I'd be asking for their Whatsapp number again when I had already added them (hope that makes sense). How do you keep the existing account and contacts if say you change your phone or phone number?.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Search your exact model number to see if you can easily upgrade the RAM. The exact model number including any -dash- XXX is required because some store/seller specific models don't allow storage or RAM updates. I have three sub $150 (one was less than $100) laptops that I bought from Bestbuy for a cheap alternative, more functional alternative to an Android Box or Roku (I have both) and Youtube reviews of two, an HP and Lenovo show that the RAM can be upgraded from 4TB, but the Bestbuy only versions can't be upgraded. Even the 64GB storage in the Lenovo can't be upgraded. However. my second Lenovo did allow an upgrade to the RAM and storage. I added a $20 8GB RAM stick and now my latest cheap laptop has 12GB RAM! I haven't gotten around to upgrading the storage, but I have a spare 250GB M.2 SSD that I can install.

They're not the fastest, but IMO way faster and better than a Chromebook, which I had and gave away.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Search your exact model number to see if you can easily upgrade the RAM. The exact model number including any -dash- XXX is required because some store/seller specific models don't allow storage or RAM updates. I have three sub $150 (one was less than $100) laptops that I bought from Bestbuy for a cheap alternative, more functional alternative to an Android Box or Roku (I have both) and Youtube reviews of two, an HP and Lenovo show that the RAM can be upgraded from 4TB, but the Bestbuy only versions can't be upgraded. Even the 64GB storage in the Lenovo can't be upgraded. However. my second Lenovo did allow an upgrade to the RAM and storage. I added a $20 8GB RAM stick and now my latest cheap laptop has 12GB RAM! I haven't gotten around to upgrading the storage, but I have a spare 250GB M.2 SSD that I can install.

They're not the fastest, but IMO way faster and better than a Chromebook, which I had and gave away.
    Thanks. Would my Lenovo Ideapad (4GB ram) be capable of video capturing of analogue video from a VHS source in Virtualdub?. Is there a big difference in 4GB and 8GB?. I've noticed that when I have my browser open and I try and open the Bluestacks apk to access Whatsapp, there is a alot of slowing down and stuttering where it becomes almost impossible to browse the internet, particular youtube. Maybe the version of Whatsapp I have downloaded is conflicting. I would've thought the 4GB ram would capable or dealing with it, but maybe Ideapad's are't ideal for it.
    Quote Quote