VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Most wireless network CCTV cameras these days are like Ring or Nest. They communicate directly with a server, which then sends the video back to your phone or tablet with the corresponding app, and absolutely do not stream over the LAN directly to your mobile or desktop computer. I do not like this. I don't like the idea of having video footage of the inside of my home passing through the servers of some company that I don't know if I can trust what they do with that footage. It would be fine if that was only an OPTION, and you got to also choose the alternative, streaming over the network to a PC or mobile device. However, most of these so called "smart" cameras don't allow this as an alternative. Even the app itself doesn't let you use it unless you have an account with the service provider. Usually the base account is free (with payment only needed for addon services), but I want to AVOID depending on the company's servers. Once I bought the camera, I want to be able to have my entire camera setup operating independent of the company that made the camera.

And finding a camera that would fit my description is hard to find. I can type in "wifi camera without internet requirement" into Google, and I get no useful results. Part of the problem I think is that different people define "wifi" in different ways. Some people (including myself) use the term wifi to refer to any 802.11(a, b, g, or n) wireless network, whether or not that network has internet access. Some others use the term "wifi" to refer only to a wireless network which has internet access. So some people will be like "What do you mean wifi without internet? Wifi has internet access by definition.". Maybe that's also what Google thinks it means, but that's now how I use the term wifi. So I need to find some way to do a Google search that will find only cameras that fit my intended camera type.

For me, I just want an 802.11 wireless network camera that will stream over a LAN (or over the internet if I activate port forwarding on my router), but not require an internet connection to operate. If it has an app for mobile devices, the app must be completely standalone, and not require an internet connection. Ideally, the camera would initially act like a wireless router itself and its own IP address would be a simple LAN default like 192.168.1.1. Then I'd connect to it with a computer that has either builtin wireless or a wireless USB dongle. From there I'd configure it with the wireless network name and password (which would already be configured on the router I will be using), as well as the IP address of the computer on that network that will be acting as the receiver. From there, the camera will switch from router-mode to computer-mode, so it will behave like a normal computer and connect to the router and start attempting to make a connection to the destination computer to send the video. At this point, I would connect my computer back to the normal wireless router, and run the software for receiving the video stream. For continued setup of the camera, I would just connect from my computer to the IP address of the camera that it has on the network (now that the camera is no longer acting as a router, its IP address will be assigned via DHCP by the router it's now connected to).

Acceptable video stream types:
    MJPEG stream
    MPEG2 over MPEG-TS stream
    h264 over MPEG-TS stream

Acceptable connection protocols:
    RTSP
    HTTP
    raw TCP
    raw UDP

These should all work with VLC player or FFMPEG for receiving the video.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Videogamer555 View Post
    Most wireless network CCTV cameras these days are like Ring or Nest. They communicate directly with a server, which then sends the video back to your phone or tablet with the corresponding app, and absolutely do not stream over the LAN directly to your mobile or desktop computer. I do not like this. I don't like the idea of having video footage of the inside of my home passing through the servers of some company that I don't know if I can trust what they do with that footage. It would be fine if that was only an OPTION, and you got to also choose the alternative, streaming over the network to a PC or mobile device. However, most of these so called "smart" cameras don't allow this as an alternative. Even the app itself doesn't let you use it unless you have an account with the service provider. Usually the base account is free (with payment only needed for addon services), but I want to AVOID depending on the company's servers. Once I bought the camera, I want to be able to have my entire camera setup operating independent of the company that made the camera.

And finding a camera that would fit my description is hard to find. I can type in "wifi camera without internet requirement" into Google, and I get no useful results. Part of the problem I think is that different people define "wifi" in different ways. Some people (including myself) use the term wifi to refer to any 802.11(a, b, g, or n) wireless network, whether or not that network has internet access. Some others use the term "wifi" to refer only to a wireless network which has internet access. So some people will be like "What do you mean wifi without internet? Wifi has internet access by definition.". Maybe that's also what Google thinks it means, but that's now how I use the term wifi. So I need to find some way to do a Google search that will find only cameras that fit my intended camera type.

For me, I just want an 802.11 wireless network camera that will stream over a LAN (or over the internet if I activate port forwarding on my router), but not require an internet connection to operate. If it has an app for mobile devices, the app must be completely standalone, and not require an internet connection. Ideally, the camera would initially act like a wireless router itself and its own IP address would be a simple LAN default like 192.168.1.1. Then I'd connect to it with a computer that has either builtin wireless or a wireless USB dongle. From there I'd configure it with the wireless network name and password (which would already be configured on the router I will be using), as well as the IP address of the computer on that network that will be acting as the receiver. From there, the camera will switch from router-mode to computer-mode, so it will behave like a normal computer and connect to the router and start attempting to make a connection to the destination computer to send the video. At this point, I would connect my computer back to the normal wireless router, and run the software for receiving the video stream. For continued setup of the camera, I would just connect from my computer to the IP address of the camera that it has on the network (now that the camera is no longer acting as a router, its IP address will be assigned via DHCP by the router it's now connected to).

MJPEG stream
    h264 over MPEG-TS stream

RTSP
    HTTP
    raw TCP
    raw UDP

are you wanting something like this ?? - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311&_nkw=cctv+camera...ystem&_sacat=0
    Quote Quote  
  3. I think almost all "IP" WiFi cameras would work. Only ones that tie you to subscription services need the internet otherwise they would have no income stream.
    They would normally fetch an IP address from DHCP in your own router and if you wished, you could then port forward it to a public address or use a dynamic DNS service to view it over the internet.

Brian.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    If you want onsite storage with no internet you can do it with any IP camera system and NVR, just don't connect it to a router and all your events are recorded on the NVR, setup a monitor and a mouse connected to the NVR and you can view and access the recorded events, I have a Hikvision system setup this way. The problem is that you won't be able to acess the content with any device especially if you are away from home, That's why a server is required to establish that link.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    If you want onsite storage with no internet you can do it with any IP camera system and NVR, just don't connect it to a router and all your events are recorded on the NVR, setup a monitor and a mouse connected to the NVR and you can view and access the recorded events, I have a Hikvision system setup this way. The problem is that you won't be able to acess the content with any device especially if you are away from home, That's why a server is required to establish that link.
    Problem is those are expensive professional systems. I'm talking about something that would basically be a low cost device designed for home use like the Ring or Nest cam, but unlike Ring or Nest it would NOT require an account, subscription, or any internet connection.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Those are WiFi devices, so I highly doubt they can operate as stand alone devices, I have setup a Eufy camera system in my summer home that you can buy in pieces and they do claim that the server is only needed when you want to access the contents, Events are recorded inside the home base HDD, they don't stream all the time like other companies do, They got criticized for it and their response was that the background connection was only needed to generate thumb nails for easy event access, I wouldn't really be worried about someone in the dark web watching your house 24hrs, it's just an internet hipe, Authorities can do that with many different ways to spy on you, they don't need a wifi camera or your consent, trust me.
    Quote Quote  
  7. have a look at the Panasonic HC-X2000. For what you want will cost though
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    The OP is not looking for a camcorder, he is looking for a surveillance camera, Sure you can take a limo to work but it is not a commute car.
    Quote Quote  
  9. opps my mistake then
    Quote Quote  
  10. If you are prepared to mount it in a box of your own:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254810284860?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&...RoC_6YQAvD_BwE
    It will stream live pictures from its own internal web server to your own WiFi network and if you want to see it over the internet you can port forward to a public address or DNS. No subscription needed,all you need is a 5V USB power source and a box. They are available from many sources and all the settings are adjustable through the web interface.

Brian.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Originally Posted by Videogamer555 View Post
    Most wireless network CCTV cameras these days are like Ring or Nest. They communicate directly with a server, which then sends the video back to your phone or tablet with the corresponding app, and absolutely do not stream over the LAN directly to your mobile or desktop computer. I do not like this. I don't like the idea of having video footage of the inside of my home passing through the servers of some company that I don't know if I can trust what they do with that footage. It would be fine if that was only an OPTION, and you got to also choose the alternative, streaming over the network to a PC or mobile device. However, most of these so called "smart" cameras don't allow this as an alternative. Even the app itself doesn't let you use it unless you have an account with the service provider. Usually the base account is free (with payment only needed for addon services), but I want to AVOID depending on the company's servers. Once I bought the camera, I want to be able to have my entire camera setup operating independent of the company that made the camera.

MJPEG stream
    h264 over MPEG-TS stream

RTSP
    HTTP
    raw TCP
    raw UDP

are you wanting something like this ?? - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311&_nkw=cctv+camera...ystem&_sacat=0
    Almost, except I don't want to depend on a company provided NVR. I want to use my computer as the NVR my hard drive is pleanty big. Let's skip the NVR, and find a camera that can stream directly to a PC, using simple software like FFMPEG on the PC side of the connection. But ut must be a wireless IP camera. I don't want to run Ethernet cables through my house.
    Quote Quote