VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have this tape which has this white static line right down the middle and it remains there for the duration of the recording, before it vanishes when another recording surfaces on the tape, which tells me it was recorded this way, perhaps with dodgy heads.

Having looked at the psychical tape itself, it has a line scored all the way down the middle, about the same position it's being displayed onscreen. It's a thin line though, is it possible to remove via software?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Since the line doesn't seem to move up or down, a simple approach would be to use a "DeLogo" filter and simply create a thin horizontal mask. You will end up with a thin blur in place of the line. This may, or may not, be more pleasant to look at than the original.

I did look at the individual fields, and while the line is present in both fields, it is sometimes much stronger, and also in a different horizontal location on one field vs. the other. So, a more complicated approach would to substitute portions of one of the two adjacent field, only if their luma is less than almost pure white.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 25th May 2023 at 16:28. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I could try that, but not sure how to implement it. What would be the appropriate script for Avisynth?

And that second method sounds interesting, and could reduce the appearance of it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. "thin" - would be 1 or 2 pixels

This would need about 12-16 pixel height with feathering to cover all the garbage . Not thin.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I used the ancient Delogo in AVISynth and did what I described above. A better tool would give better results, but it gives you an idea of what it might look like:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/7qsrotimjs1r7n9,16k2pojockz2sv2/shared

[Download the "temp.mp4" file.]
    Quote Quote  
  6. The basic concept:
    Code:
    LWLibavVideoSource("VHS Line.avi") 
    AssumeTFF()
    ConvertToYV24(interlaced=true)

src = last

FIRSTLINE = 282
    LASTLINE = 290

topline = Crop(0, FIRSTLINE-1, -0, 1)
    bottomline = Crop(0, LASTLINE+1, -0, 1)
    patch = StackVertical(topline, bottomline).BilinearResize(width, LASTLINE-FIRSTLINE+1)
    bmask = src.Crop(0,FIRSTLINE,0,LASTLINE-FIRSTLINE+1).ColorYUV(cont_y=200, off_y=-50).GreyScale() # limit fix to brightest areas

Overlay(src, patch, x=0, y=FIRSTLINE, mask=bmask)

# show original and fixed, side by side
    StackHorizontal(src, last)
    QTGMC()
    Follow with more traditional noise reduction and other cleanup.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 25th May 2023 at 19:28.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Excellent work! That's so much better than before. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    "thin" - would be 1 or 2 pixels

This would need about 12-16 pixel height with feathering to cover all the garbage . Not thin.
    Picky, picky.

Use whatever mask is needed to cover the white. I would probably not mask any area which is not completely white.

I see that jagabo did exactly that.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 26th May 2023 at 02:29.
    Quote Quote